SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Wrong again. You keep citing the past and I keep discussing the present and the future. Hockey is the most popular sport at UND and football does not benefit from that. Think about this as you attempt to refute my point (and you don't have to, because you can't):

1. REA - No doubt it helps the hockey program and if definitely fits into its popularity...If the product quality goes down or we continue to have unfulfilled seasons without a NC, then popularity goes down.

2. Hockey and football topics on this board - Exactly why Hockey is popular now...I have to explain to you on a FIRE MUSS board? Seriously? We are not talking about a Football team that just stomped NDSU right now, we are talking about a team that potentially goes 2-9 for the year for christ sakes. Do you understand what I mean by History?

3. 7 national titles - Success breeds popularity...I would counter that popularity is necessarily based on NCs because the Hockey team hasn't won one in almost 14 years....

4. Sellouts - Go back to the 90's hockey teams...empty seats in the house...I just went to the U-18 game and the place was not sold out with actual attendance...

5. Season tickets - No doubt success breeds popularity

6. Media coverage - Doesn't this actually go against the other posters theory that hockey importance is a local phenomenon versus the national coverage say the Bison get?

Good luck,

Mooncountryfan

You state emphatically that UND is a hockey school only and thus its the most popular sport always...I beg to differ because I can tell you when UND starting winning in Football and actually beat the Bison in 93 it was the most popular sport on campus - they won and and they won by beating the bison. The hockey team struggled to be in the middle of the WCHA for christ's sake. You don't think the football stands were full of fans as compared the Ralph at that time?

Sorry to the Fire Muss fans,

BobIwabuchiFan

Totally changing subjects.....looking forward to attending the hoop game tomorrow night. I think the boys will be competitive this season. I met Brian at an athletic event and he seems like a decent guy.

Men's BB definitely is on the verge of a breakthrough. I also think the Women's BB team will be much improved from last year.

Although I don't know for sure that this meeting happened, I do find it likely. All the players that I have spoken to, both former and current, have indicated to me that Mussman doesn't have the respect of his players. He just lacks that disciplinary stance that is required for good leadership. Since 2009 or so, there were already rumblings that Mussman had no respect due to his childish demeanor, so with that said, it's perfectly possible in my mind that the players may have met with Faison regarding Mussman's inability to coach and be a leader of men.

a good person to ask if this meeting took place would be greg loytusz??

If they lose to UNC that will say more than any game of the year. They have all the motivation in the world after how the game ended last year and it's the seniors last game at home. A loss there and it's basically curtains, as if it already isn't.

Have to play the devil's advocate here... Mussman will save his job with wins the next 2 weeks.

HockeyBob claims the following:

Football is/has been as popular as hockey at UND because of a football victory over NDSU in 1993. Any hockey fans and beg to differ?

Fire muss to stay on topic.

I am with Hockey Bob on that, and I am not just saying that to put an end to this ridiculous, off-topic debate. Hockey was an easy ticket in the early 90s and stands were empty by the third period. Football was an awesome atmosphere. If football gets back to winning, there won't be much conversation about Hockey taking fans or resources away from football. With the exception of the Montanas, UND would draw as well or better than most of the Big Sky...but the winning has to come first.

• Upvote 3

HockeyBob claims the following:

Football is/has been as popular as hockey at UND because of a football victory over NDSU in 1993. Any hockey fans and beg to differ?

Fire muss to stay on topic.

Bob is right. Popularity of the major sports has fluctuated up and down based in large part on the success the teams are having at the time. Hockey was more popular than football in much of the 80's (football was up and down depending on the year). It had reversed by the early to mid 90's as Bob mentioned. Both were very popular the late 90's to the early 2000's. Football has regressed since the transition started. Basketball has also had periods of being very popular and other periods when it has been less popular. And you can see the same thing happen at many other schools as teams get successful or have hard times.
  • Upvote 1

Can't we all just agree that football sucks right now and nobody really wants to have to watch it?

I agree and I'll take it a step further.

I don't blame anyone for refusing to spend their dollars watching this awful product, and I'll defend those folks against those self anointed police of who/what constitutes a "real fan".

• Upvote 3

The football product is awful, and until something is done by the athletic department to change that, why should anyone spend their time and money to support it? Especially if Faison and the athletic department are content with where this program is and they do nothing following the season. Doing nothing and simply "waiting this thing through" will not help out anyone but UND's opponents and the school 70 miles to the south.

With that said, if Faison is planning on dismissing Mussman, I agree that it should be done after the final game of this season. So, I'll be patient until after the UC Davis game - that's when I expect an announcement.