SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I like Sparks and would like to see him (and other back-ups) get playing time but Miller had a great game last week and deserves to start..

I watched the sideline at the last game and didn't see "screwing around". If fans expect the athletes to never interact with one anther nor smile or laugh during a game then they have nver played. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't care but sometimes you have to be realistic and move on. We all deal with our stress in different ways. Fans tend to be fickle and I don't believe these kids and coaches don't want to win. I am not sure exactly how we got off track but we are. There is no reason these kids can't start now with turning things around. There is talent on this team and enough talent to be competitive. Stop the penalities and missed tackles and dropped balls and we certainly are more competitive. Those are mental errors that can be corrected overnight. Any player who is waiting for the coaches to change things shouldnt' be playing. There are a lot of coaches at all levels who are not well liked or respected but that is no excuse for failure. I am not convinced our play calling is as big a problem as our execution or attention to detail. In my mind that is one of the biggest differences between HS and college and then college and the pros besides speed and size. Work ethic and attention to detail.

It does no good for me to repeat my thoughts on issues that bother me. I would assume that the coaching staff knows their is pressure on Faison for a change and they accept that as a challenge and work harder to get things turned around. Play by play, paractice by practice and game by game. I believe they are capable but they need t prove it. What we have seen thus far is not acceptable. If they can turn things around, then that would be quite an accomplishment. Go Sioux

In two consecutive blowouts how much have we seen of PJ Sparks? the kid is atheletic and has good spped and the ability to break tackles. Why doens't Muss get him in the game??!! At the very least he should be in the game in a blowout....but in reality, he should be starting!! Not to rip on Miller, but he just doesn;t have the size and toughness to be successful against top tier defenses like we have been seeing lately. It is decision like this that prove that Muss is just clueless on what needs to be done to put a competitve team on the field.

I agree; there are so many talented (or at least appear talented) football players that don't see the field enough. Sparks, Butler, and Edwards to name a few. There probably are a few more but I'm not completely sure on them because I haven't seen them in game action! Given the last two horrendous performances, there's no excuse for why some sophomores and redshirt freshman didn't get some game reps.

I like Sparks and would like to see him (and other back-ups) get playing time but Miller had a great game last week and deserves to start..

I watched the sideline at the last game and didn't see "screwing around". If fans expect the athletes to never interact with one anther nor smile or laugh during a game then they have nver played. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't care but sometimes you have to be realistic and move on. We all deal with our stress in different ways. Fans tend to be fickle and I don't believe these kids and coaches don't want to win. I am not sure exactly how we got off track but we are. There is no reason these kids can't start now with turning things around. There is talent on this team and enough talent to be competitive. Stop the penalities and missed tackles and dropped balls and we certainly are more competitive. Those are mental errors that can be corrected overnight. Any player who is waiting for the coaches to change things shouldnt' be playing. There are a lot of coaches at all levels who are not well liked or respected but that is no excuse for failure. I am not convinced our play calling is as big a problem as our execution or attention to detail. In my mind that is one of the biggest differences between HS and college and then college and the pros besides speed and size. Work ethic and attention to detail.

It does no good for me to repeat my thoughts on issues that bother me. I would assume that the coaching staff knows their is pressure on Faison for a change and they accept that as a challenge and work harder to get things turned around. Play by play, paractice by practice and game by game. I believe they are capable but they need t prove it. What we have seen thus far is not acceptable. If they can turn things around, then that would be quite an accomplishment. Go Sioux

If this coaching staff can turn this season around, that would be quite an impressive accomplishment; however, I don't realistically see that happening. Players do need to care about improving in order for that to happen, but football is a team game, and the fact that the majority of the players are showing less than required effort is a red-flag to me that the coaches aren't properly recruiting and/or establishing a winning foundation. A collegiate football team has expectations and rules/regulations that either support or don't support winning. It appears, for whatever reason, that this year's team does not possess some critical values and discipline. If that continues for the rest of season, I will put the blame on the coaching staff as ultimately they select the student-athletes who represent UND's football team.

At this point, I'm not sure what the hesitation is on playing younger guys across the board unless they aren't capable. And if that is the case, it goes back to the recruiting/coaching. That doens't mean lifting any redshirts, no reason to waste half of a season at this point.

This situation is reminding me of Tom Coughlin and the Giants a few separate times over the past few years. There have been multiple times where the media had reported that he had lost his team, they didn't like him/respect him, and he just wasn't coaching them well. Multiple times they turned things around and turned out to be a tight team with a tough coach and they made the playoffs and won a Super Bowl. I'm not saying this is the same situation but there are some parrallels.

This situation is reminding me of Tom Coughlin and the Giants a few separate times over the past few years. There have been multiple times where the media had reported that he had lost his team, they didn't like him/respect him, and he just wasn't coaching them well. Multiple times they turned things around and turned out to be a tight team with a tough coach and they made the playoffs and won a Super Bowl. I'm not saying this is the same situation but there are some parrallels.

You are right, it's not the same situation.......

Apples_and_Oranges-Cropped.jpg

That's a good one. Don't compare an NFL coach, especially one in NYC, to an FCS coach who had no prior HC experience.

There are legitimate similarities if you look at it objectively.

I know college athletes really have no excuse to not care, but once the beatings commence it is hard to care....we regularly got thumped like this in high school. After the first couple, we just waited for the 2nd half when we didn't have to play against starters...

I know how that goes...I played for Devils Lake in the early 2000's and we regularly got thumped in AAA. Not fun and quite demoralizing. But I was a linebacker so I was always pretty busy ;)

• Upvote 1

The Giants won a Super Bowl in year 3 of his program, thus he had equity built up with ownership and veteran players to get through the harder times. Mussman has no such track record, so I don't think the situations correlate.

I know how that goes...I played for Devils Lake in the early 2000's and we regularly got thumped in AAA. Not fun and quite demoralizing. But I was a linebacker so I was always pretty busy ;)

No better in Jamestown....the beatings helped us get up for those games against Mandan, Williston, and Dickinson. No trap games for us!

• Upvote 1

The Giants won a Super Bowl in year 3 of his program, thus he had equity built up with ownership and veteran players to get through the harder times. Mussman has no such track record, so I don't think the situations correlate.

They wanted him fired before they won that Super Bowl. Players were calling him out in the media. It seemed like a dead situation. Then it what appeared to be his do or die season they started 0-2 and everyone thought they would tank. Then they went on a tear and beat the 'best team ever' in the Super Bowl. He did not have equity built up. He was coaching for his job like Mussman now has to do.

I don't agree there isn't talent. I also agree we need to continue to upgrade. Oline played better last week and I would want to build on that. I would think they might consider utilizing Mollberg's running ability to create something else for the Def to worrry about. They should have some sort of run pass option with our RB's and Jackson off of his running plays where Mollberg can either pull the ball and run, hand off or pull the ball and pass. Might create some match problems for the defense. He ran for over 1000 yds in HS running veer option plays and now weighs 230lbs. He has used his athletic ability to excape the rush better than Bartels. This team can win games but it has to be a different focus and intensity. Doesn't need to come from the coach, can come from team leaders. Who the hell wants to lose. This should be the team that takes us to the next level. I never thought that level would be lower than last year. We are 4 games in and there is still time for kids to show why they play FB. I expect them to win Saturday.

From reading the last number of posts and seeing the constant screwing around on the sideline, there is a clear pattern of "who cares" among the players that breeds down from the HC.

My daughters VB team got swept last night and she was so "embarrassed", "frustrated" and "upset" by the way the team played that it took her a couple hours to calm down...and she's 13!! Least she realized and took to heart what happened unlike most wearing a helmet and Kelly green thru 4 games.

You can criticize the staff for all kinds of crap that is on them, but it is total BS to say they don't care. The post game press conference was embarrassing and I am sure Mussman would rather have been anywhere else. That said you could see he was holding back his emotions the best he could. You can say he doesn't have the team prepared or motivated, that he has lost the team, you can even say you don't like how he handles things or presents himself. You are a fool if you think he doesn't care though, people don't get into coaching if they don't care about winning or being successful.

• Upvote 1

You can criticize the staff for all kinds of crap that is on them, but it is total BS to say they don't care. The post game press conference was embarrassing and I am sure Mussman would rather have been anywhere else. That said you could see he was holding back his emotions the best he could. You can say he doesn't have the team prepared or motivated, that he has lost the team, you can even say you don't like how he handles things or presents himself. You are a fool if you think he doesn't care though, people don't get into coaching if they don't care about winning or being successful.

Fine, he cares. But this isn't peewee football - you're judged on winning. Bottom line: Mussman sucks at winning. W-L record speaks for itself.

Trust me...I'm not the one looking like a fool when it come to UND FB.

When one genuinely cares about something in any walk of life is eventually rubs off on those around that individual. That's why there are leaders and followers. You do the math with that one!

From reading the last number of posts and seeing the constant screwing around on the sideline, there is a clear pattern of "who cares" among the players that breeds down from the HC.

My daughters VB team got swept last night and she was so "embarrassed", "frustrated" and "upset" by the way the team played that it took her a couple hours to calm down...and she's 13!! Least she realized and took to heart what happened unlike most wearing a helmet and Kelly green thru 4 games.

Got swept did they? They should fire her coach. Wins and losses are all that matter.

Got swept did they? They should fire her coach. Wins and losses are all that matter.

Let's just say they are doing much better than any of Muss's teams. One a** kicking is just that...one. Take a look at UND's last 10 games...

None of this will matter in 14 days.

A road loss to the toothless Bungles and another destruction* by a BSC opponent at home (at Homecoming no less) will seal the fate.

*UND has given up 118 points at home in its last two home games. That's 59 points allowed per game. I predict the average given up at home over the last three games will go up after EWU. Yes, I see EWU hanging at least 63 on the board. They want to blow past the numbers the Montana schools hung up.

It looks to me like you should get a job as Chris Mussman's PR man. A couple days ago I had thought you had seen the real Mussman in action, but I see you've reverted back to form. Please stop trying to present Muss in a way that he will never be.

Two very straightforward points:

1) Mussman has a losing record against FCS opponents as a head coach: 19-22

Considering UND's standards (or at least what I think UND's FB standards are now with Faison at the helm), a losing record is unacceptable.

2) Do you think Hakstol would still have his job if after 5 and a part seasons he had a losing record against WCHA teams? I would think not.