SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

That's the problem, I don't think we have the horses to be physical up-front. That goes back to recruiting and that falls on the coaching staff (not the players). Unless the players are doing the recruiting and I don't know about it.

Mussman owns this program now; lock, stock and barrel, for better or worse. Period.

Just look at the linemen we recruited this past class. Plus Anderson is a stud and only a true soph. Kleason was terrible last night. He's a better tackle than that. I can't wait til we see Miller Stockwell and Bell in there along with Adams too.

We have a very difficult schedule this year with two tough non conference games and making the playoffsnthisyear may or may not happen. We have had good recruiting years for two years in a row and have solid O and D coordinators in place. I expect a lot of good things to come in the future and would much rather see the current coaching staff stay in place than roll the dice on someone who likely wouldn't be able to out recruit the coaches we currently have.

It's possible. SDSU is better than both. And both EWU and MSU were better last year.

Definitely possible. Have to score every time they touch the ball against both teams. No turnovers. And the defense can't be on the field more than 30 minutes.

Here's the problem with Mussman's tenure as I see it - Other than the disasterous Sioux Falls year, his teams haven't been bad enough for something do be done about the coaching. However, neither have they been good enough to get a signature win or a break-through season. Every year and every game it is possible to see some positives. Going into this year it was our receiving corps and talented young QBs. Looking at this game many saw some positive things. The problem is that we never quite manage to get it done. It's always a year or a game away. We seem to be on a slow train to mediocrity. The worst thing that could happen to this program (and in my opinion is likely to happen) is a 6-5 year. Then there would be some grumbling, but Muss's backers would get their way and we would be in for another season that probably would be a repeat of this year or maybe even slightly better. It is certainly time to demand that we get it done right now. With those nuckleheads down south building a national power we can't afford a lost decade of Sioux football. Sided note - I have been watching Sioux football for a long time and it drives me nuts to see our lines get bullied like they do against good teams.

• Upvote 4

Here's the problem with Mussman's tenure as I see it - Other than the disasterous Sioux Falls year, his teams haven't been bad enough for something do be done about the coaching. However, neither have they been good enough to get a signature win or a break-through season. Every year and every game it is possible to see some positives. Going into this year it was our receiving corps and talented young QBs. Looking at this game many saw some positive things. The problem is that we never quite manage to get it done. It's always a year or a game away. We seem to be on a slow train to mediocrity. The worst thing that could happen to this program (and in my opinion is likely to happen) is a 6-5 year. Then there would be some grumbling, but Muss's backers would get their way and we would be in for another season that probably would be a repeat of this year or maybe even slightly better. It is certainly time to demand that we get it done right now. With those nuckleheads down south building a national power we can't afford a lost decade of Sioux football. Sided note - I have been watching Sioux football for a long time and it drives me nuts to see our lines get bullied like they do against good teams.

Here, here. That is a nice, succinct description of our program right now. Not hot and not cold. Lukewarm. Unfortunately, the top kids in FCS don't want to play for cold programs or lukewarm programs. It's ultimately their opinions that matter the most.

The 8-3 season was an accomplishment. That team won ugly alot of times and only had one bad game (Idaho where they did lead at the half).

I agree about the trenches though....the oline needs to be able to move people and they didn't last night. The only DL I saw for us moving people and making plays was Edwards.

The 8-3 season was an accomplishment. That team won ugly alot of times and only had one bad game (Idaho where they did lead at the half).

I agree about the trenches though....the oline needs to be able to move people and they didn't last night. The only DL I saw for us moving people and making plays was Edwards.

We could debate what an "accomplishment" is, but I think you get my drift (not saying you agree with it) - The fact that we can look back and find some positives helps make my point. I just think it is time we demand excellence at this level that is more than "we gave them a good game". Like I said, I worry about a lost decade of Sioux football while the Bison make hay.

It's possible. SDSU is better than both. And both EWU and MSU were better last year.

It's too early to say how the jacks compare to UM, MSU, or EWU. Based on last year I'd say they are not as good as EWU or MSU, but better than Montana.

We could debate what an "accomplishment" is, but I think you get my drift (not saying you agree with it) - The fact that we can look back and find some positives helps make my point. I just think it is time we demand excellence at this level that is more than "we gave them a good game". Like I said, I worry about a lost decade of Sioux football while the Bison make hay.

I feel like you think I'm happy with last nights results. I was pissed after the game over how we wasted a prime opportunity. We could have put them away early with a td instead of the int. we could have also won had the defense played angry like they were at the end. I'm trying to take the positives out of it now since that's all you can do after a tough loss. This Montana game is huge.

Spot on...all of it.

I think 6-5 is likely the final record as well...which will be lauded as improvement and moving in the right direction.

I'm guessing that the clowns freaking out here are the people who left at half, and I could see why you would freak out. If you had stuck around, you would have seen a pretty good team play some pretty good football. Not great, but pretty good. The lines aren't quite up to SDSU, but then again they probably have the best O-line we will see this year, and their D-line is pretty good as well. I think we have a very good chance of splitting the remaining top-25 games.

You ask what game did mg watch... The Bison game of course. Love how he "follows both teams", though. Yeah, ok, then.

i was at work, and watched the UND game, and couldn't care less about Ferris State. I might go to the NDSU-MSU game with my sister, since my NDSU viewing habits are of such high importance here. That will probably be it. I used to get trolled for hating on Muss, now I get trolled for supporting him.

Spot on...all of it.

I think 6-5 is likely the final record as well...which will be lauded as improvement and moving in the right direction.

by definition 6-5 against arguably the toughest schedule in the country would be improvement after getting blown out by awful teams like MSU last year enroute to 4-6. I don't know why people keep talking about how this schedule is setup so well for UND to win, we have 4 top-10 teams at home, three of which I think have a legit title shot. Most of the winnable games are on the road. If UND had a top-10 team, yeah it would be great, but instead we're a fringe playoff team, and we need all the easy wins we can get.

by definition 6-5 against arguably the toughest schedule in the country would be improvement after getting blown out by awful teams like MSU last year enroute to 4-6. I don't know why people keep talking about how this schedule is setup so well for UND to win, we have 4 top-10 teams at home, three of which I think have a legit title shot. Most of the winnable games are on the road. If UND had a top-10 team, yeah it would be great, but instead we're a fringe playoff team, and we need all the easy wins we can get.

:huh:

It was awful to be blown out by MSU, but I don't consider last year's MSU team awful.....

:huh:

It was awful to be blown out by MSU, but I don't consider last year's MSU team awful.....

that result was a stunner, they really didn't look very good for long stretches last year. they beat one ranked team last year in three tries, all at home. if they had to play CP and NAU i think they would have been a bubble team.

that result was a stunner, they really didn't look very good for long stretches last year. they beat one ranked team last year in three tries, all at home. if they had to play CP and NAU i think they would have been a bubble team.

Bubble does not equal awful. I agree it was awful to be blown out by them and that they were probably somewhat over-rated though.

Bubble does not equal awful. I agree it was awful to be blown out by them and that they were probably somewhat over-rated though.

MSU has been overrated for years. msu is imo the 5th toughest game of the year, after ewu, sdsu, um and nau. I guess my point is that we shouldn't be in awe of montana state as if they're some unstoppable colossus. They had one outstanding game last year, and it happened to be against UND.

MSU has been overrated for years. msu is imo the 5th toughest game of the year, after ewu, sdsu, um and nau. I guess my point is that we shouldn't be in awe of montana state as if they're some unstoppable colossus.

With all the injuries they have sustained you may have a point. They also lost alot from last year. Last year they were not awful. That's just ridiculous. We weren't awful and they kicked our ass in the best game they played last year.