SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Yes, but does anyone want to be friends with St. Clown? It's like being friends with the drunken trailer trash a block away.

St. Clown has had its aggravations, what with the political correctness, protests, and general struggles to win big and win often. This said, the Sioux and Huskies were developing a very solid and exciting rivalry. St. Cloud has a solid and devoted, and yes, even knowledgeable fan base, especially among its older fans. Going to games at the Concrete Center has always been a blast. Motzko has built a solid program. I'd love to still be friends with them, and being friends with the drunken trailer trash a block away beats the hell out of being friends with pretentious arrogant trash across town (cue DU) any day in my book.

While I do not know the back stories on who was invited and who declined and who said what to whom and when, the NCHC made a big big mistake in not bringing along St. Cloud and one other team into its fold right out of the chute. A six team conference? Really? Thinking that Notre Dame is going to join? Really? I remain in the camp that believes that the piggish moves that were started by the Pig Ten Hockey Conference and now followed by the NCHC are ultimately going to prove bad, not good, for the college hockey world.

Fortunately, perhaps, I've a half a step into the old folks home where they will not run buses to the arenas . . . .

St. Clown has had its aggravations, what with the political correctness, protests, and general struggles to win big and win often. This said, the Sioux and Huskies were developing a very solid and exciting rivalry. St. Cloud has a solid and devoted, and yes, even knowledgeable fan base, especially among its older fans. Going to games at the Concrete Center has always been a blast. Motzko has built a solid program. I'd love to still be friends with them, and being friends with the drunken trailer trash a block away beats the hell out of being friends with pretentious arrogant trash across town (cue DU) any day in my book.

While I do not know the back stories on who was invited and who declined and who said what to whom and when, the NCHC made a big big mistake in not bringing along St. Cloud and one other team into its fold right out of the chute. A six team conference? Really? Thinking that Notre Dame is going to join? Really? I remain in the camp that believes that the piggish moves that were started by the Pig Ten Hockey Conference and now followed by the NCHC are ultimately going to prove bad, not good, for the college hockey world.

Fortunately, perhaps, I've a half a step into the old folks home where they will not run buses to the arenas . . . .

I respectfully disagree. We don't need St. Cloud at all, in fact the conference realignments is probably one of the best things to ever happen to them. They will continue to get games against minnesota and most likely North Dakota and others and have a higher probabilities to making the NCAA tournament each year. I could care less at this point if Notre Dame comes are not, true it would be good for the NCHC if they did but we will survive just fine without them. I like having six teams, it gives the NCHC room to expand with teams that add to the brand while opening up plenty of space for OOC games, the majority of which will most likely be home games for the Sioux. I wonder if Faison and others are reaching out to schools like Iowa State and Texas to see if they are ready to make the jump to D1, they have been heavily rumored to be interested in a possible move. I would much rather see one or both of those teams than St. Cloud.

I respectfully disagree. We don't need St. Cloud at all, in fact the conference realignments is probably one of the best things to ever happen to them. They will continue to get games against minnesota and most likely North Dakota and others and have a higher probabilities to making the NCAA tournament each year.

I do think it was the right move as well.

The real positive coming from Notre Dame deciding in favor of the National Conference would be that they (and possibly Western Michigan) would be a bridge for Miami. Otherwise, they are a long ways from the rest of the conference and travel may be too expensive for a small school like Miami. If Notre Dame & Western are also in the conference, it would be four games that would not only be shorter road trips for them, it would be four home games each year that have the potential to have good attendance by fans of the visiting teams.

NDH I'm surprised at you. Normally you are the most optimistic person on this board.

I've always felt St. Clown was a forced rivalry. The only reason it got heated on the ice is that they have a dirty player/captain. I've been to every rink in WCHA except the two new and Alaska and the worst experience I had multiple times was in St. Clown. Their fans were worse than at The Toilet. I had people spitting on me and yelling ignorant things all game. The only good thing are those Husky Cheerleaders.

What do they add to the new conference that Duluth doesn't? TV viewers??? no more than UMD. Top notch facilities??? Mankato has a better arena. National prominence??? Ha!

Taking St. Clown only further weakens the WCHA and then we really are the bad guys.

NDH I'm surprised at you. Normally you are the most optimistic person on this board.

I've always felt St. Clown was a forced rivalry. The only reason it got heated on the ice is that they have a dirty player/captain. I've been to every rink in WCHA except the two new and Alaska and the worst experience I had multiple times was in St. Clown. Their fans were worse than at The Toilet. I had people spitting on me and yelling ignorant things all game. The only good thing are those Husky Cheerleaders.

What do they add to the new conference that Duluth doesn't? TV viewers??? no more than UMD. Top notch facilities??? Mankato has a better arena. National prominence??? Ha!

Taking St. Clown only further weakens the WCHA and then we really are the bad guys.

Thanks for taking me to the woodshed Smoggy. You are correct sir. I stand corrected. The would add nothing to the new conference other than an easy road trip for local fans. The WCHA does need some programs to remain and St. Clown is as good of a clown as any to remain. What was I thinking? I am still just mourning the loss of the good old days, the great pride and power of the WCHA, and the fact that I will likely not be rounding out my set of dvds on the History of the WCHA. Now that it is history.

Thanks for taking me to the woodshed Smoggy. You are correct sir. I stand corrected. The would add nothing to the new conference other than an easy road trip for local fans. The WCHA does need some programs to remain and St. Clown is as good of a clown as any to remain. What was I thinking? I am still just mourning the loss of the good old days, the great pride and power of the WCHA, and the fact that I will likely not be rounding out my set of dvds on the History of the WCHA. Now that it is history.

Odds are there will be plenty of OOC games within driving distance for many years to come.

NDH - I am with you to some extent, sad to see the WCHA as we knew it fade away, especially as we have made it a regularly scheduled event to attend the Final Five. We have also attended a number of regionals in recent years which allowed us to meet more Sioux fans (including you in Madison at State Street Brats).

But, the WCHA as we knew it was leaving with Wisconsin and Minnesota. It would just not be the same WCHA without them. So now I am over it and looking forward to the NCHC. Yes, the future is unknown and only time will tell the ultimate impact, positive or negative. Hopefully it is positive and allows more schools to add hockey. If nothing else, we might make more road trips in these last two years of the WCHA than before. Alas, we only had Anchorage to go to, and now the two new arenas, to complete a tour of the WCHA.

Besides, we can all still go to the WCHA Final Five or whatever they call it if we don't go to the NCHC tournament, and have MafiaMan arrange a gathering at Hoggsbreath.

Now get that leg out of the nursing home and look forward to hockey.

But, the WCHA as we knew it was leaving with Wisconsin and Minnesota. It would just not be the same WCHA without them.

I think the minute that Wisconsin and Minnesota announced that they were going to the B1G I think the WCHA died... The league minus UW and UMN if UND and the other teams had stay would be less attractive.

Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune: WCHA / CCHA had merger talks in Chicago

Been reported in some blogs, but thought the discussion was appropriate here. Hope a CCHA/WCHA merger doesn't happen, as then college hockey would essentially go back to having "full" conferences (especially if WMU / Notre Dame go to NCHC).

UAH and Moorhead would be frozen out of any leagues. It would be so much better for the growth of college hockey if the AHA "four" moved over to the CCHA.

Agree with that, even though the conferences would actually go from 2 to 3 (WCHA & CCHA to BTHC, NCHC, and WCHA/CCHA) it wouldn't help any new teams jump into D1 because nobody would want to "lower" themselves by taking entry-level teams. We need the WCHA and CCHA to stand on their own to insure growth in this sport.

Agree with that, even though the conferences would actually go from 2 to 3 (WCHA & CCHA to BTHC, NCHC, and WCHA/CCHA) it wouldn't help any new teams jump into D1 because nobody would want to "lower" themselves by taking entry-level teams. We need the WCHA and CCHA to stand on their own to insure growth in this sport.

This St Cloud article on WCHA-CCHA meeting seemingly states that a CCHA-WCHA merger wasn't the primary issue

McLeod would not characterize the talks he had with the CCHA as about a possible merger between the two conferences.

A full-scale merger with the WCHA just doesn't make economic sense for Ferris or Bowling Green or for any of the Minnesota schools, as that would force a substantial increase in travel costs, would minimize money games with more regional Big Ten and NCHC schools, render a conference post-season tournament less viable financially, and make obtaining an autobid even more difficult. If a merger was the only option for Ferris or Bowling Green, then, yes, it does make sense.

It seems as if the conversation was more about who the WCHA is interested in adding (Lake Sup St? , Moorhead?, Alaska?) and when:

“It always gets back to do we worry about ourselves and get back to eight (WCHA) members or do we think of the greater good of college hockey? I think more than anything, we’re just trying to keep as nimble as we can possibly be. Gradually, we’ll get ourselves to making a decision.”

Some reports are that the AHA schools want Alaska out of the CCHA before they move over, but McLeod doesn't seem to want Alaska:

“I haven’t been up there for a long time ... and I’m going to get a sense of the program commitment. They’ve been fairly aggressive up there,” McLeod said of being in contact with the WCHA. “I can understand why it’s best for those two (Alaska) schools, but I’m not sure I’m convinced it’s the best for everybody.

“They need to convince me why it’s best for the WCHA. I do understand why it would be good for them in a lot of ways. It might be good for us, too.”

So does the future of the Ferris State and Bowling Green programs depend on the WCHA taking Alaska? Without Alaska out of the CCHA, are the AHA schools refusing to move? Without Alaska out of the CCHA, do the other CCHA programs need a merger with the WCHA to have a conference home?

This St Cloud article on WCHA-CCHA meeting seemingly states that a CCHA-WCHA merger wasn't the primary issue

A full-scale merger with the WCHA just doesn't make economic sense for Ferris or Bowling Green or for any of the Minnesota schools, as that would force a substantial increase in travel costs, would minimize money games with more regional Big Ten and NCHC schools, render a conference post-season tournament less viable financially, and make obtaining an autobid even more difficult. If a merger was the only option for Ferris or Bowling Green, then, yes, it does make sense.

It seems as if the conversation was more about who the WCHA is interested in adding (Lake Sup St? , Moorhead?, Alaska?) and when:

Some reports are that the AHA schools want Alaska out of the CCHA before they move over, but McLeod doesn't seem to want Alaska:

So does the future of the Ferris State and Bowling Green programs depend on the WCHA taking Alaska? Without Alaska out of the CCHA, are the AHA schools refusing to move? Without Alaska out of the CCHA, do the other CCHA programs need a merger with the WCHA to have a conference home?

Good insights, as you often have.

I agree that a full merger of WCHA and CCHA is highly unlikely. BUT the WCHA has a couple strong reasons to collaborate with the CCHA. First is autobid and second is money.

First, autobid. The WCHA 6 can't sleep all that well ... after all if one member gets poached or goes under, then they lose autobid. So Brucie wanting 8 members makes a lot of sense. This creates common ground with the "remaining CCHA four" who probably want to ditch UAF, especially since the 4 AHA schools have no loyalty there at all.

(Sidebar - I'm assuming for the moment that Notre Dame and WMU go "somewhere else". And therefore the remaining CCHA four might choose to abandon UA(F) and create a "new conference" with the 4 AHA schools. Its an unlikely marriage, but one where each side has strong motivations - they need each other.)

So in my little scenario here, the Chicago meeting had two topics, one of which was basically the CCHA 4 telling the WCHA/McLeod that they want WCHA to take UA(F). McLoad's comment:

It always gets back to do we worry about ourselves and get back to eight (WCHA) members or do we think of the greater good of college hockey?

could be interpreted as the WCHA pondering whether to take UAF to get to 7, or whether they wait for a better offer later.

Second, is money. This quote from McLoud hints at it:

We had a good discussion with the CCHA, agreed to some common ground and talked about some things that could be on the table when we get the whole group together to meet in the future, McLeod said.

I think they talked scheduling agreements between WCHA and CCHA. Both sides need home games and revenue, and lots of it. AND, they need negotiating leverage on home games with the remaining western powers. Candidly, W/CCHA are facing the likelihood that the Big Ten schools will never go on the road to play them (I'm looking at you, Wisconsin and Minnesota who havne't played road nonconference games unless its been a Big Ten playmate.) and while NCHC schools have been relatively obliging historically, the financial leverage and PWR leverage rests with the NCHC. So getting home games is - I think - motivation for the W/CCHA to talk scheduling agreement.

Bottom line, I think we see all this happen around the time of the CCHA meetings 8/16, or within a short period thereafter:

1) Notre Dame and WMU "announce" intentions on August 16th at the CCHA meetings. (Might be a couple days before it goes public.) I hope they come NCHC, but that may be wishful thinking. (If they announce something else, Miami becomes a flight risk for NCHC ....)

2) The remaining four CCHA have a chance to save face by announcing their intentions at the same time. Ideally, they want WCHA to announce its taking UAF, AND they want to announce addition of the AHA four (or creation of a "new league" and the disbanding of CCHA).

3) WCHA announces whether its taking UAF; I think they will say yes.

4) There's a small possibility that Lake Superior State goes west, keeping proximity to NMU, MTU, and even UMD.

Good insights, as you often have.

I agree that a full merger of WCHA and CCHA is highly unlikely. BUT the WCHA has a couple strong reasons to collaborate with the CCHA. First is autobid and second is money.

First, autobid. The WCHA 6 can't sleep all that well ... after all if one member gets poached or goes under, then they lose autobid. So Brucie wanting 8 members makes a lot of sense. This creates common ground with the "remaining CCHA four" who probably want to ditch UAF, especially since the 4 AHA schools have no loyalty there at all.

(Sidebar - I'm assuming for the moment that Notre Dame and WMU go "somewhere else". And therefore the remaining CCHA four might choose to abandon UA(F) and create a "new conference" with the 4 AHA schools. Its an unlikely marriage, but one where each side has strong motivations - they need each other.)

So in my little scenario here, the Chicago meeting had two topics, one of which was basically the CCHA 4 telling the WCHA/McLeod that they want WCHA to take UA(F). McLoad's comment:

could be interpreted as the WCHA pondering whether to take UAF to get to 7, or whether they wait for a better offer later.

Second, is money. This quote from McLoud hints at it:

I think they talked scheduling agreements between WCHA and CCHA. Both sides need home games and revenue, and lots of it. AND, they need negotiating leverage on home games with the remaining western powers. Candidly, W/CCHA are facing the likelihood that the Big Ten schools will never go on the road to play them (I'm looking at you, Wisconsin and Minnesota who havne't played road nonconference games unless its been a Big Ten playmate.) and while NCHC schools have been relatively obliging historically, the financial leverage and PWR leverage rests with the NCHC. So getting home games is - I think - motivation for the W/CCHA to talk scheduling agreement.

Agree with almost all your points. I also think the Minnesota WCHA schools want to maintain voting control of the WCHA - so they are waiting and actually hoping for Moorhead. If Lake Superior State was to be added now, the Yooper schools would have just as much power as the Minny schools. If UAF was added now, the Michigan/Alaska block would outvote the Minnies. The Yooper schools are really the ones that would benefit most from a merger: west to Minnesota and south to lower Michigan and Ohio are feasible for them without getting on a plane. The problem the CCHA has it that it needs the WCHA to act now (and take UAF), otherwise it's deal with the AHA (Bobby Mo, Mercyhurst, Canisius, and Niagara) might blow over.

As far as scheduling, the Minnesota schools are probably in reasonable shape (especially if Moorhead joins), as they can schedule some of the NCHC schools (even as home games) as well as Minnesota and Wisconsin. The Yooper schools are the ones that really run into trouble with scheduling, as they wouldn't likely get any non-conference home games except for maybe Ferris State. Again, the Yooper schools really benefit from a merger. Bowling Green, on the other hand, if it stays in the CCHA with AHA schools, would almost certainly be on the schedule for Miami and Ohio State (maybe with a home/home with both), Notre Dame, and WMU. Same situation with Ferris, but change the opponents to WMU, Mich, Mich St, and the Yooper schools.

Bottom line, I think we see all this happen around the time of the CCHA meetings 8/16, or within a short period thereafter:

1) Notre Dame and WMU "announce" intentions on August 16th at the CCHA meetings. (Might be a couple days before it goes public.) I hope they come NCHC, but that may be wishful thinking. (If they announce something else, Miami becomes a flight risk for NCHC ....)

2) The remaining four CCHA have a chance to save face by announcing their intentions at the same time. Ideally, they want WCHA to announce its taking UAF, AND they want to announce addition of the AHA four (or creation of a "new league" and the disbanding of CCHA).

3) WCHA announces whether its taking UAF; I think they will say yes.

4) There's a small possibility that Lake Superior State goes west, keeping proximity to NMU, MTU, and even UMD.

If the NCHC goes to 8 teams, I hope they don't force a four games against all opponents, as that would only leave 6 games for non-conference teams. Six games simply isn't enough, especially with the rivalries left behind and with the need for the NCHC to build non-conference victories in the pair-wise. That said, six teams simply isn't a reasonable number either, as one defection can really harm the league. Personally, would like to see a seven team league (with Notre Dame), with the league winner gaining home ice for a final four (the other six teams playing off at campus locations to get to four teams).

A number of stories have implied in the past that Western Michigan was tied to Notre Dame, regardless of what Notre Dame decides. However, these two articles seem to imply that WMU is only tied to Notre Dame, if Notre Dame goes to Hockey East. Why would WMU be informed by the NCHC's Goldwater that guidelines are being finalized for expansion? Why did WMU generate a web campaign to position itself for a league? Neither of those actions indicate WMU to the NCHC is a sure thing.

Kalamazoo Gazette: NCHC consultant reaches out to WMU

WMU athletic director Kathy Beauregard said Bobby Goldwater, a consultant hired by the National Collegiate Hockey Conference, has informed her the new league is finalizing the guidelines for which it will follow in exploring expansion.

A number of stories have implied in the past that Western Michigan was tied to Notre Dame, regardless of what Notre Dame decides. However, these two articles seem to imply that WMU is only tied to Notre Dame, if Notre Dame goes to Hockey East. Why would WMU be informed by the NCHC's Goldwater that guidelines are being finalized for expansion? Why did WMU generate a web campaign to position itself for a league? Neither of those actions indicate WMU to the NCHC is a sure thing.

Kalamazoo Gazette: NCHC consultant reaches out to WMU

MAC Daily Blog: Hockey Realignment Endgame Nears

WMU would be the only school lacking a state of the art rink in the NCHC, which may be the one criteria keeping WMU out. At 25,000 students, WMU would have by far the largest enrollment and alumni base in the NCHC if it was accepted. The city of Kalamazoo has in the past attempted to get a new arena built, which would make WMU a no brainer if it happened. In the meantime, WMU has a rink that isn't much bigger or better than Purpur.

If Notre Dame went to the NCHC, and WMU stayed in the CCHA with Ferris and Bowling Green, that arrangement might actually be best for college hockey.

I think if Notre Dame wanted to be in the NCHC they would have already joined up and became a founding member. Smart money says they join HE. The real question is, does HE take WMU with Notre Dame or does the NCHC really need WMU without Notre Dame? More OOC games for the NCHC without WMU in the conference. I hope I'm wrong and Notre Dame joins the NCHC but their reluctance to make a decision by now makes me believe that they will go East instead.

I think if Notre Dame wanted to be in the NCHC they would have already joined up and became a founding member. Smart money says they join HE. The real question is, does HE take WMU with Notre Dame or does the NCHC really need WMU without Notre Dame? More OOC games for the NCHC without WMU in the conference. I hope I'm wrong and Notre Dame joins the NCHC but their reluctance to make a decision by now makes me believe that they will go East instead.

Will Miami stay in the National Conference if the nearest schools are 700 miles to Omaha & 750 miles to Duluth, when its only 200 miles to South Bend and 250 miles to Kalamazoo? I wonder if Miami had the same thing happen to them as the Sioux did when invited to the Big Sky and Notre Dame is pulling a South Dakota. The MAC connection to WMU will be a good foundation to keep both teams happy. WMU's commitment to maintaining a top-tier program should keep them at the top of the list. I think WMU would be a better pick than Notre Dame and wouldn't think they can throw their prestige around to get whatever they want from the other conference members.

Agreed that Notre Dame is probably looking to either Hockey East or starting a new conference with eastern schools, but the Irish could easily pull both Western Michigan and Miami. Travel partners are not a necessity, since a weekend is Friday-Saturday between the same teams. Seven teams (2 east, 2 west and 3 in the middle) would be a nice number for a full home and home conference schedule with plenty of time for out of conference scheduling.

Will Miami stay in the National Conference if the nearest schools are 700 miles to Omaha & 750 miles to Duluth, when its only 200 miles to South Bend and 250 miles to Kalamazoo? I wonder if Miami had the same thing happen to them as the Sioux did when invited to the Big Sky and Notre Dame is pulling a South Dakota. The MAC connection to WMU will be a good foundation to keep both teams happy. WMU's commitment to maintaining a top-tier program should keep them at the top of the list. I think WMU would be a better pick than Notre Dame and wouldn't think they can throw their prestige around to get whatever they want from the other conference members.

Agreed that Notre Dame is probably looking to either Hockey East or starting a new conference with eastern schools, but the Irish could easily pull both Western Michigan and Miami. Travel partners are not a necessity, since a weekend is Friday-Saturday between the same teams. Seven teams (2 east, 2 west and 3 in the middle) would be a nice number for a full home and home conference schedule with plenty of time for out of conference scheduling.

Like Star pointed out earlier, WMU's hockey arena is below the standard of the NCHC and may not be considered without a new rink or at least refurbishing their old one. I don't believe Miami is going anywhere, their fans seem very happy about this move and are looking forward to watching their team play in the best league in the NCAA. If Notre Dame were to join the NCHC and WMU were to find their way here as well it would alleviate a lot of travel concerns for Miami. Plus Sioux fans travel very well, I'm sure there would be a lot of us making the pilgrimage to South Bend and Oxford to help sell out their arenas. With or without Notre Dame the National will have without a doubt the largest attendance records and ticket sells in NCAA hockey, of this I have no question.

Like Star pointed out earlier, WMU's hockey arena is below the standard of the NCHC and may not be considered without a new rink or at least refurbishing their old one. I don't believe Miami is going anywhere, their fans seem very happy about this move and are looking forward to watching their team play in the best league in the NCAA. If Notre Dame were to join the NCHC and WMU were to find their way here as well it would alleviate a lot of travel concerns for Miami. Plus Sioux fans travel very well, I'm sure there would be a lot of us making the pilgrimage to South Bend and Oxford to help sell out their arenas. With or without Notre Dame the National will have without a doubt the largest attendance records and ticket sells in NCAA hockey, of this I have no question.

If Notre Dame joins Hockey East, the scheduling demands of Hockey East will almost require that ND have a local travel partner within HE. In a ten team Hockey East, each school plays 3 games against other members. With a 12 team conference, each school would play the other at least twice with the caveat that every team must visit every rink (like the do now, with more 1 game series with a short travel to the Sat night game). Unless HE changes their scheduling philosophy to go to two-game weekend series exclusively, ND has to have a local travel partner. Kalamazoo is only a bit more than an hour from South Bend (while Oxford, OH, is almost five hours). By default, WMU almost has to be Notre Dame's travel partner if ND goes to HE. If ND goes to the NCHC, no travel partner is needed, as all conference games will be part of Fri/Sat series.

So, if ND goes to HE, WMU goes with ND to make HE scheduling manageable.

If ND forms its own league with some HE schools, WMU may or not be tied in.

If ND goes to the NCHC, WMU is not now tied to ND based on comments from the WMU AD and the NCHC consultant..

If Notre Dame joins Hockey East, the scheduling demands of Hockey East will almost require that ND have a local travel partner within HE. In a ten team Hockey East, each school plays 3 games against other members. With a 12 team conference, each school would play the other at least twice with the caveat that every team must visit every rink (like the do now, with more 1 game series with a short travel to the Sat night game). Unless HE changes their scheduling philosophy to go to two-game weekend series exclusively, ND has to have a local travel partner. Kalamazoo is only a bit more than an hour from South Bend (while Oxford, OH, is almost five hours). By default, WMU almost has to be Notre Dame's travel partner if ND goes to HE. If ND goes to the NCHC, no travel partner is needed, as all conference games will be part of Fri/Sat series.

So, if ND goes to HE, WMU goes with ND to make HE scheduling manageable.

If ND forms its own league with some HE schools, WMU may or not be tied in.

If ND goes to the NCHC, WMU is not now tied to ND based on comments from the WMU AD and the NCHC consultant..

I thought the distance from Oxford to South Bend was only around 215 miles? Notre Dame is also concerned with selling tickets for their new arena, I believe that teams from the NCHC (especially UND and UNO fans) travel better than teams from HE, and with the proximity of Miami and possibly WMU it would guarantee that home game ticket sells should be strong, at least stronger than HE.

I thought the distance from Oxford to South Bend was only around 215 miles?

There's no direct route that is interstate, without adding a lot of miles. A visiting team would get to their Oxford hotel at 3am or later after a South Bend game (or else travel on Saturday before the game.) Neither are great options, unless the second game was switched to Sunday, which means even more time away from class.

Notre Dame is also concerned with selling tickets for their new arena, I believe that teams from the NCHC (especially UND and UNO fans) travel better than teams from HE, and with the proximity of Miami and possibly WMU it would guarantee that home game ticket sells should be strong, at least stronger than HE.

Notre Dame's biggest concern having "name" opponents for TV purposes. Non-conference games against Mich St and MIch and probably Wisconsin would be their strongest draws (based on the huge number of alumni those schools have in Chicago and nearby).

I say let ND do whatever they want. they obviously think they are bigger than the sport. if they come to the NCHC great if not whoopdy do. and can somebody please tell me how a nice little 5 year stretch makes this program a traditional power? in non conference scheduling there would be 10 teams I would rather see before the irish. they don't even have that big a of a fan base. they had by far the fewest number of fans at this years frozen four and I think the same can be said for in 2008 as well.

I say let ND do whatever they want. they obviously think they are bigger than the sport. if they come to the NCHC great if not whoopdy do. and can somebody please tell me how a nice little 5 year stretch makes this program a tradional power? in non conference scheduling there would be 10 teams I would rather see before the irish. they don't even have that big a of a fan base. they had by far the fewest number of fans at this years frozen four and I think the same can be said for in 2008 as well.

Exactly! Best post I've read in weeks...one little upswing in the program and all of a sudden they think they are "Hat Trick Jesus"...Let's see how they do over the long haul and what kind of fan support they get...