SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

And a lot of UND fans are blaming UM and UW when in reality they had no choice, while UND DID have a choice. I have NO problem at all with UND's decision but they certainly had a choice unlike UM and UW.

Choice or not. The fact remains Wisconsin and Minnesota left the WCHA before UND and others.

And once WI and MN left "WCHA" was never the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting how UMD doesn't seem to be on the Gophers invite list.

The proposed tournament would be played on the same weekend every year at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, which has been the annual site of the WCHA Final Five Tournament. It would be a four-team tournament, meaning there would be a rotation and one school a year would not play in the tournament.

Interesting how UMD doesn't seem to be on the Gophers invite list.

They don't want to play teams they can't beat. Upstaged by UMD, the little sister up north? Unthinkable. I love to see the Gophers lose. They like to criticize Sioux fans but the jealousy is ultra-apparent. I have to say that the Gopher fans in my section at the Mariucci are the most toxic and annoying fans I have ever seen. Hell with their whining when someone from the opposing team even gets within 5 feet of one of their players makes even SCSU fans seem reasonable.

You should know better than to add factual information to a ripfest.

Sorry, I just noticed that it said he plans to talk to UMD's coach. But the story did mainly focus on St. Cloud, Bemidji, and Mankato more than UMD. I think it's great how Minnesota gets to act like the hero by orchestrating a tournament for the leftovers while pretending they did everything they could to prevent the BTHC from happening. I wonder if UM is willing to forfeit their profits from the tournament to St. Cloud, Bemidji, and Mankato?

• Upvote 2

I count four total. Was UMD missing from the story or was the writer educated at UMTC?

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20110721/SPORTS0401/107200056/College-hockey-Gophers-want-play-state-teams

Lucia also said that he plans to talk with Minnesota-Duluth coach Scott Sandelin about the same arrangement with the Bulldogs, who also leave the WCHA after the 2012-13 season and will join the newly formed National Collegiate Hockey Conference.

That's an awful nice gesture for the Gophers to invite the Minnesota teams down to the Cities for a tournament. I'm predicting that UND will still be traveling to play at the BSU's, Mankato's, and the SCSU's of the college hockey world than the Gophers will be.

Edit: I guess I should have read the article before posting. Apparantly the Gophers are looking at going on the road to the Minnesota schools as well. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

That's an awful nice gesture for the Gophers to invite the Minnesota teams down to the Cities for a tournament. I'm predicting that UND will still be traveling to play at the BSU's, Mankato's, and the SCSU's of the college hockey world than the Gophers will be.

Edit: I guess I should have read the article before posting. Apparantly the Gophers are looking at going on the road to the Minnesota schools as well. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

One thing to remember is that the Gophers can easily commit to these games because they will be in a 6-team league initially and will only have 20 conference games, leaving at least 14 games for non-conference foes. They can host their 'Minnesota Tourney' and play 2 games there, play 2 of the other teams either at the Mooch or on the road, and still have 8 games left to play the UNDs, Denvers, BCs, or whoever of the world...that's the upside of a 6-team league.

UND and UMD on the other hand have no idea how many teams the NCHC will actually have when they drop the first puck, and because of that would not be able to commit to anything like Minnesota has proposed until the league has officially stated who the final members are. If the NCHC ends up being an 8-team league, for example, it would mean each team would play 28 conference games, which would leave only 6 regular games for non-conference foes, or 3 series. Because of that I doubt if Duluth can fully commit to the Gophers plan as of now, not because they don't like it but because they need more info before they can commit to any non-conference games.

This is a smart move by the Gophers, it keeps them in touch with the other Minnesota schools and makes them look good while helping the displaced WCHA teams.

So to play Devil's Advocate...Minnesota, who was the first to leave the WCHA, now will have enough non-conference games to play all the old WCHA teams and will look like the good guy for doing so...UND and Duluth, who left as a reaction to Minnesota leaving, may not have enough non-conference games to play hardly any of the old WCHA teams and will look like heels for doing so...how crazy is that?

Of course if the NCHC ends up being a 6 or 7 team league they will have many more non-conference opportunities too, so time will tell how it actually shakes out.

• Upvote 1

See, I don't know if they are considering both or if the "road trips" are only if the tournament doesn't work out. My guess is the Gophers would go on the road to the odd school out. Here's the problem: if you guys recall, UMD, SCSU, MSUM and UMTC had a thing like this at the X in 2009. UMD and MSUM were the home teams and played 1 game against SCSU and UMTC, respectively. Attendance was not that fabulous, UMTC refused to give up a home game so they didn't have it the following year, and even though it was a "home" game for Mankato, the Gophers brought their band, cheerleaders, mascot, and I believe got first choice of locker room.

Thanks, but no thanks. Come up to AMSoil and spend money in our city. Mike Connolly's gone so they don't have to be scared of getting 5 goals scored on them anymore.

This is a smart move by the Gophers, it keeps them in touch with the other Minnesota schools and makes them look good while helping the displaced WCHA teams.

Lets not forget that UND has already had discussion with BSU as well.

Buffalo Sabre's owner Terry Pegula may have started Penn State's program, but also is considering donating a new arena for Canisius, which would help gain them and Niagara gain admission to the CCHA:

Buffalo News: Canisius and Niagara need to make power play for CCHA

Football will forever have a grip on this region, but Buffalo has evolved into a hockey hotbed more than a hoops haven, particularly in the past 20 years. The Sabres finally have an owner in Terry Pegula who is obsessed with winning. The World Junior Championships were a major success. The region is producing better players than ever. Youth leagues are packed.

There's no telling where hockey could lead this town if Canisius and Niagara take advantage of the opportunity standing before them. If they recognize their potential, get their affairs in order and enough things fall into place, either could win a national hockey championship sooner rather than later.

Canisius comes from a slightly different angle but with the same prospects. For years, it has been desperate for an on-campus hockey facility while playing their home games at Buffalo State. The setup is inconvenient if not mildly embarrassing when showing off the program. The school has quietly been seeking private contributions in hopes of eventually getting a new building.

Saint Terry is prepared to answer its prayers. Serious discussions have been ongoing about Pegula backing (see: major donation) a movement toward a new on-campus events center. It would serve as a home for Canisius and the Buffalo Junior Sabres, a practice rink for the Sabres and be available to youth teams. There's talk it could also become a basketball venue and a place for graduation ceremonies that are now held at UB.

How much would it cost? How much would Pegula donate? How much would Canisius contribute? At this point, I have no idea. But if we've learned anything about Pegula, it's that he does nothing half-hearted and everything top-notch. Canisius needs to get on board and help him make it work. It might never get a better opportunity or better timing.

Buffalo Sabre's owner Terry Pegula may have started Penn State's program, but also is considering donating a new arena for Canisius, which would help gain them and Niagara gain admission to the CCHA:

This is going to be huge. As we all know by now, Pegula doesn't mess around when it comes to getting things done. He got the ball rolling at Penn State and has single-handedly erased the "small-market mindset" of the Buffalo Sabres.

Canisius' campus is located in midtown Buffalo, right next to one of Buffalo's Metrorail stations. If done right, this arena could become a hub of activity........and host hockey games, basketball games, concerts, conferences, trade shows, and other popular events (in other words, become a smaller-scale version of BU's Agganis Arena). A state-of-the-art venue, backed by Pegula dollars, could inject life into Midtown Main Street, which is mostly devoid of activity compared to the thriving Elmwood Strip. It should also boost local interest in college hockey, in a city where the college brand has been largely an afterthought. As much as I hate to say it, Canisius could be a sleeping giant in college hockey. I never thought I'd ever utter those words in my lifetime, but with Pegula providing financial backing for facility upgrades, anything is possible.

I would love to know how much he's willing to drop on this to make it happen. I think it's great and it's definitely a good thing for the CCHA if it goes down. Not sure about Canisius being a sleeping giant though.