SiouxSports.com Forum

Volleyball Recruiting

GeauxSioux

What happend to pioske

Transferred to Concordia-St. Paul. It's closer to home for her.  She looked a little out of sorts all last year for UND. Probably stemmed from the coaching transition last year and the loss of many player friends from her first year. A little home sick, too, maybe.  Concordia-St. Paul is a pretty solid VB team and a good school.  Wish her the best!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Are all of these girls solid commitments? Eight new players coming in? Seems high? Any other current players leaving that were not previously listed here? Do coaches have to honor previous coaches commitments? Lot of questions - sorry.

Poiske left a "championship" team? hmmm. eight new players hmmmm.

What does the hmmm mean? . Are you implying unrest in the program or the new coach wants him own players, or that he is able to bring in even better players with the contacts he has? What do you mean?

Not sure why, but Pioske struggled under Pryor.  After she had a some bad games, he pulled her in favor of other players.  She eventually did start producing, but there may have been some rift between them.  Was she a player we wanted to lose?  No.  But I think Pryor has brought in players that will more than make up for her departure.  I think Pryor is recruiting an even higher brand of volleyball.  2015 should be the tallest team we've seen since I started paying attention (around 2010).

I've heard unrest

Coach doesn't fit in real well up here in conservative country

Baylor is much more conservative than GF.

Anyone heard how spring matches went?

UND apparently plays at Austin Peay for a single match on Sept 15th. Must be part of a trip near Nashville.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Should UND start a Sand Volleyball program? It can play in the soon to be vacated Hyslop, can offer six more scholarships, give court Volleyball more access to players, and it offers some revenue potential. The Big Ten doesn't offer Sand Volleyball yet, and Nebraska is sponsoring a team and also some Big 12 schools. The Big West, WCC, PAC 12, and some southeast conferences will have autobids next season.

Having sand volleyball would be a big help for court Volleyball recruiting and depth, and would cement UND among mid majors as a volleyball force.

http://www.volleyballmag.com/articles/43569-a-championship-for-ncaa-sand

• Upvote 1

Are you serious? You really think we have the money for that when we can't even properly fund other sports?

Totally. Six more scholarships that can be divided among defensive type players and setters. Its a way to build depth and try out players that otherwise wouldn't be developed. An assistant coach in court can be the head coach in sand, so its one of the cheapest sports out there.

If we want to get better, going bigger is often a way. Soccer and softball can have schollies pulled if we have to, as those sports are almost a lost cause at UND. Volleyball should be a midmajor powerhouse here.

Go ALL IN on Volleyball, as a bet that both programs reach greater heights. If that leaves softball and soccer with less financial support, so be it.

UND could be in an autobid league with Nebraska, TCU, Boise St, San Jose St, New Mexico, and Grand Canyon. Notre Dame has also started sand, but few other P5 teams in the East or Midwest have started sand. A number of the schools starting sand have express stated it is to help their Volleyball program, as the six scholships for sand can be divided up and given to non-schollie court players - like indoor and outdoor track and x-country overlapping each other. Nebraska uses their court head coach to coach sand, and most of their games have been tournament in Arizona, California, and Hawaii, which doesn't hurt recruiting. Would expect more B1G, Big 12, MWC, and WAC teams to start it. It may come to the point that not having sand will severely impact any Volleyball program, like having indoor track but not outdoor.

Should UND start a Sand Volleyball program? It can play in the soon to be vacated Hyslop, can offer six more scholarships, give court Volleyball more access to players, and it offers some revenue potential. The Big Ten doesn't offer Sand Volleyball yet, and Nebraska is sponsoring a team and also some Big 12 schools. The Big West, WCC, PAC 12, and some southeast conferences will have autobids next season.

Having sand volleyball would be a big help for court Volleyball recruiting and depth, and would cement UND among mid majors as a volleyball force.

http://www.volleyballmag.com/articles/43569-a-championship-for-ncaa-sandow

Please explain how SVB "offers some revenue potential".

Please explain how SVB "offers some revenue potential".

I would have gone to sand volleyball games when I was in college.  I'm sure there are some other college males who would spend $5-$10 to watch sand volleyball.  Gives people something to do for cheap and if they can sell alcohol, even better.

I would have gone to sand volleyball games when I was in college.  I'm sure there are some other college males who would spend $5-$10 to watch sand volleyball.  Gives people something to do for cheap and if they can sell alcohol, even better.

They would get free tickets...

I would have gone to sand volleyball games when I was in college. I'm sure there are some other college males who would spend $5-$10 to watch sand volleyball. Gives people something to do for cheap and if they can sell alcohol, even better.

They can already go to volleyball games for free where they sell alcohol.

And who is going to pay to remodel the Hyslop? In no way, shape or form can that place be used as a game day facility. So now we are going to invest $$$ into the Hyslop constructing new bleachers, remodeling bathrooms, installing concessions, making it all A.D.A. accessible, etc.?

• Upvote 1

The whole premise of starting sand volleyball is that UND will be at a severe disadvantage in the Big Sky without it.

Sacramento St now has 12 court Volleyball schollies and 6 more equivalency scholarships for sand (maybe up to 12 more players), who can also play court. Sacramento St will have much more depth and a massive recruiting advantage.

Its pretty simple to comprehend, I would hope.

And who is going to pay to remodel the Hyslop? In no way, shape or form can that place be used as a game day facility. So now we are going to invest $$$ into the Hyslop constructing new bleachers, remodeling bathrooms, installing concessions, making it all A.D.A. accessible, etc.?

So how did UND comply with ADA before? ADA was in existence before VB moved out of Hyslop.

So how did UND comply with ADA before? ADA was in existence before VB moved out of Hyslop.

When passed in 1990, the A.D.A. did not require that all existing buildings be retrofitted for accessibility immediately. Instead, it required planned alterations over time. So existing businesses and buildings would be considered exempt. However, it says that when a business alters an existing facility in a way that affects usability, the areas being altered must comply with the ADA Standards. So for the Hyslop gymnasium, which looks nothing today like it did while being used for basketball and volleyball, to be remodeled to turn it back into a functional game day facility, UND would be required to do so under the standards of the A.D.A.

But you were well aware of such an obvious and commonly known fact, right?