SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

Meeting rescheduled....... Fighting Sioux nickname meeting with NCAA rescheduled for Aug. 12

It's being held in the association's headquarters in Indianapolis. It is set three days before the NCAA intends to sanction the university for continuing to use its Fighting Sioux nickname and an American Indian head logo.

So the meeting will be after the new law is in place, but before sanctions begin. Should be interesting.

Meeting rescheduled....... Fighting Sioux nickname meeting with NCAA rescheduled for Aug. 12

So the meeting will be after the new law is in place, but before sanctions begin. Should be interesting.

Here is a way we can get away from the H&A list. Aug 1, law takes place; Aug 12th NCAA meeting (nothing accomplished), UND asks NCAA for a H&A list extention while nickname is being retired for sure (also while law is repealed). NCAA says okay. November...Al Carlson voted out of office and never voted for again.

You sir, understand the "University environment", and are exactly right.

I have a BA and and MA in sociology and most of the faculty at UND was against the Fighting Sioux nickname. I was told by one of my students that an unnamed UND professor Curt Stofferhan left one of his class early one time to go protest against the Fighting Sioux nickname. If I was paying that teacher to teach me in that class I would have been upset.

Edited by Goon

Here is a way we can get away from the H&A list. Aug 1, law takes place; Aug 12th NCAA meeting (nothing accomplished), UND asks NCAA for a H&A list extention while nickname is being retired for sure (also while law is repealed). NCAA says okay. November...Al Carlson voted out of office and never voted for again.

I don't see Carlson being voted out of office but I think the law will be changed.

I have a BA and and MA in sociology and most of the faculty at UND was against the Fighting Sioux nickname. I was told by one of my students that an unnamed UND professor Curt Stofferhan left one of his class early one time to go protest against the Fighting Sioux nickname. If I was paying that teacher to teach me in that class I would have been upset.

What else would one expect from a sociologist? Talk about a worthless area where the members are all paranoid (with good reason) about being laughed at behind their backs in the elevator over the fact that sociology is not a "real science."

What else would one expect from a sociologist? Talk about a worthless area where the members are all paranoid (with good reason) about being laughed at behind their backs in the elevator over the fact that sociology is not a "real science."

Be nice to Goon, at least he is doing something productive with his sociology degree. ;)

• Upvote 2

My intent is not to scum Goon but my experience with Sociology professors, both at St. John's University where I did my undergrad and elsewhere (ahem - UND) was that they were more devoted to foisting agendas upon society rather than the study of it.

Be nice to Goon, at least he is doing something productive with his sociology degree. ;)

I don't know if I am even working in my field, I guess It sort of is... But, if I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't have wasted my time in sociology, I would have gotten a business degree.

My dad is a chemist and a biologist and he calls Sociology a pseudo science.

Looky what the mindless printed on the blogs for the Star Tribune, same old no facts BS.

lakesbiisonJul. 24, 1110:36 PMHUNDREDS OF EMAILS? there's 600,000 people in north dakota. most of them NDSU fans, no one cares outside the racist und people. think about it.Standing Rock Reservation DOESNT want their own state to use the sioux name, a Native Senator voted NO, (they arrogantly didnt listen to either) Great Plains Indians passed a 11-0 resoluation against the use of the nickname. its been over 80 years and they've offerred the tribes NOTHING.

"Standing rock Reservation doesnt want the name" They want to vote on it, and can't get one, but you keep on printing this crap over and over and over and over!

Looky what the mindless printed on the blogs for the Star Tribune, same old no facts BS.

lakesbiisonJul. 24, 1110:36 PMHUNDREDS OF EMAILS? there's 600,000 people in north dakota. most of them NDSU fans, no one cares outside the racist und people. think about it.Standing Rock Reservation DOESNT want their own state to use the sioux name, a Native Senator voted NO, (they arrogantly didnt listen to either) Great Plains Indians passed a 11-0 resoluation against the use of the nickname. its been over 80 years and they've offerred the tribes NOTHING.

"Standing rock Reservation doesnt want the name" They want to vote on it, and can't get one, but you keep on printing this crap over and over and over and over!

LakesBison is a complete idiot...he just needs to prove it every so often. ???

He posted the exact same thing on the ESPN article about the logo.

LakesBison is a complete idiot...he just needs to prove it every so often. ???

I would concur with you LakesBison is a complete and utter buffoon and I believe he is also a bit off as well. do you have a

lakesbiisonJul. 24, 1110:36 PMHUNDREDS OF EMAILS? there's 600,000 people in North Dakota. most of them NDSU fans, no one cares outside the racist und people. think about it.Standing Rock Reservation DOESN'T want their own state to use the sioux name, a Native Senator voted NO, (they arrogantly didnt listen to either) Great Plains Indians passed a 11-0 resolution against the use of the nickname. its been over 80 years and they've offerred the tribes NOTHING.

"Standing rock Reservation doesn't want the name" They want to vote on it, and can't get one, but you keep on printing this crap over and over and over and over!

Where does this clown get his facts? do you have a link for that as well...

Nickname Conclusion Expected After NCAA Meeting

North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple says he expects to reach a conclusion about the fate of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo after a meeting with the NCAA.

He will lead the group as its members try to persuade the athletics association to alter its stance against UND and the nickname.

"I want to listen to the arguments for and against and then I'll go from there," Dalrymple said as he visited Grand Forks on Tuesday.

Dalrymple says he will not be in Indianapolis next month to plead with the NCAA to drop future sanctions imposed on UND if the school keeps the Fighting Sioux nickname, but rather to hear the arguments for and against keeping it in person.

Dalrymple believes the atmosphere and even some of the facts have changed since it became a law that UND keep the Sioux nickname.

Would this be the letter to President Kelley from Big Sky commish Fullerton about the possibility of booting UND from the Big Sky if UND goes on the H&A list.

They eliminated the School of Communications and yet some of the clowns, er, I mean wonderful tenured faculty, from that cess pool of indoctrination based like-think, er, I mean fabulous department still are at UND.

Elimination of the School of Communication still pisses me off. And to think that at one time the journalism department at UND was one of the very best in the nation. Donald Gillmor, a former journalism professor at the UND who later moved to the University of Minnesota School of Journalism faculty, once commented that UND's journalism program was the best between the Twin Cities and the West Cost.. Dr. Gillmor went on to become an established legal scholar, especially as it related to communications law, and published a number of books and papers in that area. Dr. Gillmor was an outstanding journalism educator.

Elimination of the School of Communication still pisses me off. And to think that at one time the journalism department at UND was one of the very best in the nation. Donald Gillmor, a former journalism professor at the UND who later moved to the University of Minnesota School of Journalism faculty, once commented that UND's journalism program was the best between the Twin Cities and the West Cost.. Dr. Gillmor went on to become an established legal scholar, especially as it related to communications law, and published a number of books and papers in that area. Dr. Gillmor was an outstanding journalism educator.

I am a proud J-School grad; it was a sad, sad mess to watch that program be butchered alive. :angry: