SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

Yes, yes, $6,000.00 is a terrible amount of money to spend sending people to the NCAA; just terrible. However, the hundreds of thousands that will need to be invested implementing this are of no consequence. Don't forget the lost revenue from sales. Yes, $6,000.00 is simply atrocious when viewed in light of those other, more modest costs......

• Upvote 3

That's just terrible! So sorry for him and his family. It puts into perspective everything and the nickname , the Big Sky Conference, the NCHC, the NCAA all are secondary concerns to something like this. It does not seem like much because no one can see it or engage in a two-way conversation (at least verbally) but the Holy Spirit is never closer to someone than in circumstances like this, although it certainly does not feel that way I am sure.

That's just terrible! So sorry for him and his family. It puts into perspective everything and the nickname , the Big Sky Conference, the NCHC, the NCAA all are secondary concerns to something like this. It does not seem like much because no one can see it or engage in a two-way conversation (at least verbally) but the Holy Spirit is never closer to someone than in circumstances like this, although it certainly does not feel that way I am sure.

Thoughts and prayers to Bob Stenehjem's family and friends. And not to trivialize this into the nickname issue, but I didn't realize this:

Stenehjem was most recently noted for his assistance to House Majority Leader Al Carlson, R-Fargo, who sponsored the legislation that put UND

With all of the technology available today, why can't they have a video conference with the NCAA? it would save money, time and would make scheduling a whole lot easier, I would think. This does not need to continue to drag on.

Why can't they, that is a very good question no one would even have to travel and there wouldn't be an unnecessary expense of 6,000.00 on the state tab.

Why can't they, that is a very good question no one would even have to travel and there wouldn't be an unnecessary expense of 6,000.00 on the state tab.

Wouldn't it be subject to North Dakota Open Meeting Laws, then? That is something NCAA doesn't want, but it might not matter at this point, if all they are going to say is "Thanks, but, no thanks. Deal stands!"

I would imagine now there will be some fees to change the tickets also.

Wouldn't it be subject to North Dakota Open Meeting Laws, then? That is something NCAA doesn't want, but it might not matter at this point, if all they are going to say is "Thanks, but, no thanks. Deal stands!"

I still don't quite understand the Open Meeting part. These are a collection of state officials that do not constitute any legal body. Why would open meeting laws apply?

With all of the technology available today, why can't they have a video conference with the NCAA? it would save money, time and would make scheduling a whole lot easier, I would think. This does not need to continue to drag on.

From my experience, videoconferences work well for "team meetings" of colleagues and coworkers who share common ground and common interests.

For meeting with neutral or adversarial parties, face to face is still far superior. Plus, going to Indy is a powerful signal from the state of North Dakota.

From my experience, videoconferences work well for "team meetings" of colleagues and coworkers who share common ground and common interests.

For meeting with neutral or adversarial parties, face to face is still far superior. Plus, going to Indy is a powerful signal from the state of North Dakota.

This and humble pie is a dish best served in person. I'm sure Al Carlson will enjoy every bite.

Oh yeah that's right. My bad, I didn't think of that...

Oh yeah that's right. My bad, I didn't think of that...

I plan to stay on the side of the truth, the tribes were supposed to be offended by the Fighting Sioux name, and Sprit Lake voted to say they were not

• Upvote 1

If the NCAA backed off now it would be them admitting they were wrong, and they are never wrong.

They thought they were wrong once ... but they were mistaken.

Ha.

What if we are all wrong, and there is a miracle that occurs at the meeting? One way or another, we will have a FINAL answer after the meeting, which I am happy about.

• Upvote 1

Ha.

What if we are all wrong, and there is a miracle that occurs at the meeting? One way or another, we will have a FINAL answer after the meeting, which I am happy about.

The only miracle that can save us now is one out of Standing Rock. I hate to see the nickname go as much as anyone but we have to face facts and soldier on. I honestly don't know how we get from point A to point B in terms of a new identity (logo). I think that's the scariest thing about this transition, we take way more pride in our native american identity than other schools that had to retire them and even more than some that got to keep it. I would like to see UND take the time to choose something that a new, long lasting tradition can be built on, and not something that was rushed by a committee of people who don't truly care about athletics or our school's culture. I also wouldn't mind seeing all the faculty members who threw UND under the bus over the nickname issue replaced by new faculty, they are not good shepherds and have no place in our institution.

What are the odds that Carlson will convince the NCAA executives that UND should continue to use the nickname with just one tribe's approval?

Honestly, between Slim and None. And Slim? He's on a train. Which train?

Look down. You see those tracks? Now look waaaaay off towards the left. That's the train that already left the station.

I also wouldn't mind seeing all the faculty members who threw UND under the bus over the nickname issue replaced by new faculty, they are not good shepherds and have no place in our institution.

Never happen, most of these clowns that threw UND under the bus probably have tenure which basically means they would've had to commit some crime or be charged with misconduct to be fired.

Never happen, most of these clowns that threw UND under the bus probably have tenure which basically means they would've had to commit some crime or be charged with misconduct to be fired.

You sir, understand the "University environment", and are exactly right.

Not unless some of there programs were reorganized of funding forced cutbacks of faculty lines. I'm sure some of these people have skeletons in their closets just begging to be discovered.