SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

If his idiotic comments are any indication, Carlson's presence will probably do nothing but aggravate the NC$$ brass and make the meeting a short one. Maybe they can leave him outside to watch the van.

That's kind of what I'm thinking....................

Now that there is a meeting in place, what are the general thoughts regarding talking points for the ND delegates? What leverage will the Gov et al have that would sway the NCAA?

None. Much like the "open meeting laws", the Carlson legislation only has force inside the borders of North Dakota. The NC$$ knows this, their lawyers know this and most rational people know this. The NC$$ is only being nice, and I suspect it's only a courtesy to UND and the Board not a real opening to revisit the settlement or let UND off the hook.

LMAO, so what your saying is Mn and Wisc left the conference because of the Sioux nickname? LOL

Now lets start the conspiracy that St cloud, Mankato, and Duluth are upset with it! WOW!!

Pretty clear this wasn't said. How you get from his statement to your conclusion is similar to what happens in the media and with blogs. People may infer or conclude whatever they wish without evidence then discussion continues based on a mistatement of facts.

I was wondering why Jody Hodgson is going too. He has been unreasonable with his stance on this issue. I remember when he was asked by a Herald reporter which of the Sioux logos in the REA would be very difficult to remove. He said "All of them." That alone tells you how helpful he will be at a meeting with the NCAA.

There are going to be way too many cooks in the kitchen from the UND/ND delegation at this meeting. The people who are going don't even agree on how this issue should be handled. I wish I could sit in on the meeting with a bag of popcorn.

Maybe the NCAA will try to persuay Hodgson to change his mind. Either with money(no not to him but to cover the cost) or tweek the number of logos that need to be removed. Remember UND's REA has to be the #1 money making building in college hockey. If not #1 definately top 5.

I still think the only way this meeting does anything is if they bring people that actually live on the Spirit Lake Res. like Eunice D. who could look across that table and speak from the heart and make little president berkeley squirm in his mini-chair.

I also think that the delegation might to need to ask if dropping the logo from athletic unis but still sell merchandise but keeping the name would be ok.

to be a fly on the wall in that meeting in indy!!!!

None. Much like the "open meeting laws", the Carlson legislation only has force inside the borders of North Dakota. The NC$$ knows this, their lawyers know this and most rational people know this. The NC$$ is only being nice, and I suspect it's only a courtesy to UND and the Board not a real opening to revisit the settlement or let UND off the hook.

True. But it may prevent people from being able to obtain a copy of the meeting minutes under the Freedom of Information Act.

I know that a few outlets tried to get ahold of Summit League minutes and emails awhile back and were unable to due to Oral Roberts(private school) being in the conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only meaningful conversations that came out of the meeting with NCAA were regarding REA. REA, while not being owned by UND, is all over the settlement document.

The nickname/logo conversations are non-starters.

There is one thing that I'd like Jody Hodgson to tell the NCAA:

If you won't allow NCAA games in my building because of logos, I'm going to sue you if you ever put an NCAA event into United Center with all of its Blackhawk logos.

Make it real to them where they live (money).

• Upvote 1

I was wondering why Jody Hodgson is going too. He has been unreasonable with his stance on this issue. I remember when he was asked by a Herald reporter which of the Sioux logos in the REA would be very difficult to remove. He said "All of them." That alone tells you how helpful he will be at a meeting with the NCAA.

There are going to be way too many cooks in the kitchen from the UND/ND delegation at this meeting. The people who are going don't even agree on how this issue should be handled. I wish I could sit in on the meeting with a bag of popcorn.

Why the hell should the logos be removed? The REA was never a party to the agreement. I agree that he may not appropriate to bring but perhaps REA will agree to be a signatory in exchange for some concessions concerning the name.

Why the hell should the logos be removed? The REA was never a party to the agreement. I agree that he may not appropriate to bring but perhaps REA will agree to be a signatory in exchange for some concessions concerning the name.

If the day were to come where UND could host an NCAA event in REA, REA would have to be in alignment with this:

http://www.ag.nd.gov/NCAA/SettlementAgreement.pdf

If the day were to come where UND could host an NCAA event in REA, REA would have to be in alignment with this:

In question if UND can sue the NCAA again....yes they can according to the settlement, BUT...... only if the NCAA has modifyed, or changed its policy which they haven't. Page 9 of the settlement.

If you read the settlement you will see that there are a lot of things that don't have to be changed. The Indian heads in the floors stay. Looks like the logos at the end of the rows would have to go. I suppose it's a matter of definition what else has to go. Things need to be replaced with normal wear and tear.

Yes, I know that part about the NCAA event and the removal of the logos/etc but Hodgson has said that not one of them will be removed and REA can't be forced to remove them because REA never signed the agreement. My understanding of their position is that they think they would rather host other events and perhaps even bring other teams there and still make money than mar the building by removing any logos. The question of whether they want to be able to host NCAA events at the cost of removing the logos has been answered, I think. I may be incorrect being 600 miles from GF, but I seem to remember Hodgson talking about that around the same time that Standing Rock refused to provide a vote post- RHHIT.

While it wouldn't change the final result, bringing Spirit Lake representatives might at least get the NCAA Gestapo to stop clinging to the "hostile and abusive" accusation. In the end, this meeting might actually do some good as Carlson and others will get to hear the NCAA tell them "drop dead" rather than blame it on Kelley, the AD and others, and they'll move quickly to reverse this disaster before the Big Sky says farewell.

So I have a question How come high profile UND Alum have not come out and do more to help safe the name? I am talking about Toews, Oshie or Ed Belfore? If they love the name so much why are they not fighting more. Now I am talking in general not just those guys. I think that people love the name but they do not want to do anything about it.

Count me in with the group that thinks this meeting is a waste of time. That being said, what total BS. That law has Governor Dalrymple's signature on it. He is the Chief Executive of North Dakota. If there is only one person to speak for the state at this thing, it should be him.

• Upvote 1

Count me in with the group that thinks this meeting is a waste of time. That being said, what total BS. That law has Governor Dalrymple's signature on it. He is the Chief Executive of North Dakota. If there is only one person to speak for the state at this thing, it should be him.

He made a good number 2 behind Hoeven but the more you see and hear him you must seriously wonder if will ever be a number1.

I appreciate him for getting it back to the table (at least he got it this far) but why isn't the Governor taking the lead - Why are the rest even there - why not Spirit Lake & where are the masses of Sioux Fans ?

I guess folks just really don't care

One baby step forward, two giant steps back, until were about to go backwards off a cliff