SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

I appreciate him for getting it back to the table (at least he got it this far) but why isn't the Governor taking the lead - Why are the rest even there - why not Spirit Lake & where are the masses of Sioux Fans ?

I guess folks just really don't care

One baby step forward, two giant steps back, until were about to go backwards off a cliff

This is turning out to be a circus. Why so many people going? In any negotiations you don't bring 10 people to the table. If they were serious they'd pick 2 or 3 of there best people and send them to see if there's room to move the ball forward. This is all about trust. This mix of people don't trust each other and that's why I think we have all these clowns going.

I find it comical that the head of the REA is going on this trip. It real shows who and what is calling the shots at UND. What an embarrassment.

I don't know that i fully agree with your statement but in my opinion there is NO reason that anyone associated with the REA should be in attendance.

This is turning out to be a circus. Why so many people going? In any negotiations you don't bring 10 people to the table. If they were serious they'd pick 2 or 3 of there best people and sent them to see if there's room to move the ball forward. This is all about trust. This mix of people don't trust each other and that's why I think we have all these clowns going.

Very common to bring along "back benchers" when the discussion may head in multiple directions, and those at the center of the meeting may need clarification or expert witness regarding an issue.

I don't know that i fully agree with your statement but in my opinion there is NO reason that anyone associated with the REA should be in attendance.

I'll give you two reasons:

1. It provides "private entity" cover to the North Dakota folks, so they don't have to worry about open meeting laws. Think of it like ORU attending Summit meetings and not having to publish those minutes.

2. REA is mentioned specifically in the settlement agreement. Seeing how that agreement spells out multi-million dollar changes to their building you'd think they'd at least be able to sit in.

1. It provides "private entity" cover to the North Dakota folks, so they don't have to worry about open meeting laws. Think of it like ORU attending Summit meetings and not having to publish those minutes.

2. REA is mentioned specifically in the settlement agreement. Seeing how that agreement spells out multi-million dollar changes to their building you'd think they'd at least be able to sit in.

Good points.

I can see point #2, but how does #1 make any difference? The meeting is in Indy so it should be beyond the scope of the ND open meeting and open record requirements.

The meeting is in Indy so it should be beyond the scope of the ND open meeting and open record requirements.

For the Summit the excuse for "no minutes" is that (private) ORU attended, not that the meeting was outside of ND.

It's probably a question for the AG, but if an ND official is working for the state on state business anywhere, isn't that required to be open? Hence the origin of media trying to get Summit minutes (NDSU president = state business).

We'd have a better chance if we sent just Ed Schafer. It's not that they're mistreating a "fly-over" state. They've disrespected a US cabinet-level secretary. Not as a UND fan, but as an American, that irks me a bit.

Maybe they'd meet with Ed long enough to apologize for Bernard Franklin's behavior.

He (Schafer) also said Bernard Franklin, the NCAA vice president who has taken the lead on pressing the policy against use of Indian names and imagery, was “rude and unresponsive” when Schafer tried to talk with him. Franklin is expected to be among NCAA leaders receiving the North Dakota delegation in Indianapolis.

For the Summit the excuse for "no minutes" is that (private) ORU attended, not that the meeting was outside of ND.

It's probably a question for the AG, but if an ND official is working for the state on state business anywhere, isn't that required to be open? Hence the origin of media trying to get Summit minutes (NDSU president = state business).

Makes sense... I didn't think of the open meeting laws and the details of the settlement. On its face it seems fishy but i'm willing to buy what you're selling.

Is it the NCAA who requested a rep from REA there, or is it the ND delegation? I should think any ND delegation that wants to try to save the nickname and expose the NCAA for their hypocrisy would request the meetings be "open." Inviting a private entity into the discussion would close that opportunity. Maybe the open meeting laws don't apply anyway since it's outside of ND and the point it moot...not sure.

Is it the NCAA who requested a rep from REA there, or is it the ND delegation? I should think any ND delegation that wants to try to save the nickname and expose the NCAA for their hypocrisy would request the meetings be "open." Inviting a private entity into the discussion would close that opportunity. Maybe the open meeting laws don't apply anyway since it's outside of ND and the point it moot...not sure.

If the meetings were "open", the NCAA would probably not participate.

Pretty clear this wasn't said. How you get from his statement to your conclusion is similar to what happens in the media and with blogs. People may infer or conclude whatever they wish without evidence then discussion continues based on a mistatement of facts.

"As if with Minnesota and Wisconsin leaving, the WCHA is any position to dump UND" *******.(understand this and I agree)********* " Plus, the Badgers and Gophers showed their true colors about how they really felt about the nickname after they announced their plans to leave the conference." *******(So this comment before mine is not insinuating anything of them being negative about the Sioux nickname????)********** "Is there any love for our logo in St. Cloud and Mankato and Duluth?" *****(Is this part insinuating another conspiracy???)****** " When's the last time you heard McLeod speak strongly in favor of UND keeping its nickname? I'm guessing that he feels the need to keep a low profile on the issue".

Don't understand the confusion here, but if its me, I apologize, but I doubt these comments are able to be taken in any other way! But hey, its just a blog and the media drives me, apparently!

But who cares, I just want the Sioux to keep their name and logo, and to keep up the good fight!

• Upvote 1

Don't understand the confusion here, but if its me, ...

It's you. Let's try parsing this:

As if with Minnesota and Wisconsin leaving, the WCHA is any position to dump UND.

The WCHA can't afford to lose UND after having just lost UMn and UWi.

Plus, the Badgers and Gophers showed their true colors about how they really felt about the nickname after they announced their plans to leave the conference.

Minnesota and Wisconsin have both stated when they are in the Big Ten they will not play UND if it still has the "Fighting Sioux" moniker. Those are their true colors.

Is there any love for our logo in St. Cloud and Mankato and Duluth?

The former president of SCSU (Roy Saigo) got the NCAA moniker policy moving through the NCAA. The former head of UM-Duluth also stated her support of the NCAA moniker policy to the NCAA and also publicly. There's not a lot of love showing for the name there, much less in the U of Minn system nor in the MnSCU system.

When's the last time you heard McLeod speak strongly in favor of UND keeping its nickname? I'm guessing that he feels the need to keep a low profile on the issue.

I've never heard McLeod speak about this issue. Given where UMn, UWi, UM-D, and SCSU are, McLeod probably believes silence on topic is best for him.

Carlson and his pals can have their meeting with the NCAA. The NCAA will say, "Nope. It's our way or the highway".

End game.

Then, let's retire it and move on. I've never publicly said throw in the towel before. I love the Fighting Sioux name. But, it's over.

Time to get our teams in the Big Sky without any further delay. Time to let the hockey teams move on to a new WCHA or some super-dooper conference with the Big Ten without any worry of problems there.

We'll always wear our Fighting Sioux gear to the games. We'll always yell "Sioux" at the end of the national anthem. When I"m 90 and only one of a few wearing the Fighting Sioux gear and croaking out "Sioux" at the end of our national anthem, maybe I'll be lucky enough to be so frickin' senile that I'll imagine I"m back at the old REA and Gino is coaching the '82 team and Darren Jensen is in goal.

:(

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is part of "what needs to happen"..... N.D. needs Stenehjem’s view

Although Jacobs’ column makes for interesting reading, we would suggest that the most important question about the new law still is unanswered: Is the Legislature’s action constitutional?

Given the texts of the North Dakota Constitution and the North Dakota Century Code, it seems quite clear that the action is unconstitutional.

We are not attorneys; but as residents for a combined 72 years and taxpayers of North Dakota, we anxiously await a ruling from the state attorney general, Wayne Stenejhem.

An opinion by the state attorney general is the constitutionally mandated first step in the process of reviewing legislative action.

I doubt that we will see any decision from Stenehjem prior to the NCAA meeting later this month, but he does need to do his job.

Certainly we can sympathize with the difficult position that Stenejhem is in, given that he negotiated the original agreement with the NCAA.

But now that the board as indicated — without explanation — that no appeal will be forthcoming, will Stenejhem act? His espoused busy schedule and his deflection of the legislators’ initial request for an opinion leaves this uncertain.

This irresponsible behavior by elected officials, legislative and executive alike, is disturbing and needs be corrected immediately.

It seems everyone, is going with the flow on this, from the legislature, to the governor, to the AG and the SBoHE. I can understand the SBoHE being somewhat reluctant to make too many waves with the legislature, since that is how they are funded, but the legislature is out of line here and needs to be reigned in by the AG and likely, eventually, the Courts.

If the legislature and governor can create a law, which is unconstitutional, does the SBoHE have to follow it? The AG needs to speak up.

If the legislature is allowed this foray into the SBoHE's business, what is to stop them from further reaches of power.

• Upvote 1

Is Al Carlson a phony populist?

For myself, this is now not about the appropriateness of the nickname but the process. I go to those hockey games not to cheer the logo but to support the finest coaches in the land as they lead highly skilled athletes playing hockey at the premier collegiate level.

People want this to be over. Besides, how much is it going to cost the taxpayers of the state to send Carlson