SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

"dwindling few" :glare: - note the how effective these kind of messages are :(

I guess all the folks who contacted their Legislators were just a few :silly:

A couple of months ago, "dwindling few" likely, would have been laughable. After the governor signed the bill, I was ambivalent about where things were heading. While I would have loved to see the Fighting Sioux remain, I didn't like the implications, that were known at that time. When the letter came out from the Big Sky and the long term implications were realized, things changed, for me and I'm sure for others. "Dwindling few" is probably a lot more accurate than you think.

The NCAA is holding all of the cards here.

They have the settlement (aka surrender) agreement in hand.

And have proven, are proving, and will prove again, that they are more than willing to make life a living hell for UND as long as it has "that moniker".

So that's what they'll do.

The NCAA is run by academics.

For them, dealing with real issues (cheating, money, doping) is hard.

Dealing with feel-good "lookee-lookee what we did!" issues is great cocktail party chatter and makes them feel useful.

So that's what they'll do.

The vote at Spirit Lake was 67% in favor. That's 2 out of 3 in favor. But, that also means that one out of every 3 people there were not in favor. So you're telling the 33% who were against it how to feel, huh?

So, no matter what the vote total would be you have to listen to the minority.....right? :silly:

Just a thought here...why haven't the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation been in contact with the NCAA. I mean technically its their name since they voted for it. How come no media, no letters, nothing from them. Do they care?

They're drowning (thank you Devils Lake). I'd guess that is taking most of their attention (and they've made their statement).

I am very sorry about your property and family suffering through this flood. I am from GF, but did not experience the flooding issues as my family is now gone and I moved years ago. The nickname issue is sad and unfortunate and the NCAA is wrong in the way they approached it. But, in spite of being right, it is time to cut our losses and move on. The cost is and has been too great to continue the fight. UND and the athletic teams will all be fine once the name is gone. People will adjust over time. As you know first hand, there are far more important issues in the world to tackle. I was very upset about the name change too, but have come to grips with it especially now with the Big Sky opportunity and not being able to see Sioux teams play the Gophers in OOC sports as have other former NCC teams.

Thanks Ole. I understand your point and, if the name goes, I hope I can adapt as well. I agree that there are more important issues but this issue and the dynamics behind it (free speech, uneven application of policy, etc.) are still pretty important, in my humble opinion.

The vote at Spirit Lake was 67% in favor. That's 2 out of 3 in favor. But, that also means that one out of every 3 people there were not in favor. So you're telling the 33% who were against it how to feel, huh?

This qoute should also include the fact that only 11% of the people that could vote did. Maybe the other 89% thought. "Why are we getting dragged into their fight?"

Just because 70% of NA's feel honored with UND's use of their name, there are Bernard Franklin and Robert Kelley types who are in a better position to understand what it's like to be an Indian and be discriminated against.

Huh! How is some liberal from Berkley going to know what it's like to be an Indian? Kelley has no better understanding than the rest of us.

UND University Senate backs Kelley call for Sioux nickname law repeal

UND University Senate backs Kelley call for Sioux nickname law repeal

"The University Senate executive committee thanks you for requesting that the state legislature repeal HB 1263," University Senate chair Kathy Smart wrote in a letter to Kelley signed by eight other executive committee members.

"We stand behind your request, and we will provide whatever support you request as this issue moves toward resolution," they wrote.

I saw that was "BREAKING NEWS ALERT". I was totally shocked. Not shocked that the Student Senate voted to offer their support to Kelley, but that it was even news worthy. Sicatoka's news alert that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow was more news worthy.

And a few weeks ago the NDSU Student Senate voted to side with their president and raise tuition 8%. Then you talk with some of their students and they didn't know anything about it. You put anything in front of the Student Senate for a vote and you can be assured that the student members with the spiked purple hair, posts stuck through their nose and studs through their lips are going to vote with their liberal presidents.

• Upvote 3

I saw that was "BREAKING NEWS ALERT". I was totally shocked. Not shocked that the Student Senate voted to offer their support to Kelley, but that it was even news worthy. Sicatoka's news alert that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow was more news worthy.

And a few weeks ago the NDSU Student Senate voted to side with their president and raise tuition 8%. Then you talk with some of their students and they didn't know anything about it. You put anything in front of the Student Senate for a vote and you can be assured that the student members with the spiked purple hair, posts stuck through their nose and studs through their lips are going to vote with their liberal presidents.

:lol: :lol:

My eyes are watering and my stomach hurts from laughing.

Obviously, there are a few more cards left to play in this game. And I can assure you we will take the time necessary to make an informed decision. And no one either at the university or in the state of North Dakota will not be given adequate warning of any impending action by the Big Sky Conference.

The Sky is Not Falling yet

Well how is voting suppose to work? If it is for what you believe than its a good vote. Not what you believe than "poor 33%, their voice should be heard"?

How is this different from any other voting?

The Sky is Not Falling yet

NCAA sanction list or not, as long as there are Big Sky Presidents who think more like Roy Saigo (former SCSU president) and less like 2/3 of Spirit Lake Nation the moniker will be an "issue".

I was informed that it wasn't the Student Senate that voted with Kelley, it was the University Senate which is mostly faculty and some staff. My apologies to the Student Senate members who I might have offended by lumping them in with "Roy Saigo" types. ;)

But, my statements above are probably more accurate when applied to faculty & staff except that I'd add "shoulder-length gray hair in a ponytail" to the list. :lol:

I was informed that it wasn't the Student Senate that voted with Kelley, it was the University Senate which is mostly faculty and some staff. My apologies to the Student Senate members who I might have offended by lumping them in with "Roy Saigo" types. ;)

That would be the Curt Stofferans of the world.

You have to realize that just because you're the one that's being directly affected by the flooding, there are always people much smarter than you who aren't affected by the flooding that know how you should feel about your property being under water. It's similar to the nickname/logo issue. Even though Native American's want to keep the name, there are some very smart academics out there that understand how Native American's "should" feel about their name. Just because 70% of NA's feel honored with UND's use of their name, there are Bernard Franklin and Robert Kelley types who are in a better position to understand what it's like to be an Indian and be discriminated against. Also, just because you and 90% of your family who live in Minot and are affected by the flooding, there are people on this board that are high and dry that have a better understanding of what should be important to you and how you should feel. :silly:

Awesome!

UND and the Big Sky: Who said what, when?

Rep. Al Carlson, R-Fargo, used North Dakota open records law last week to obtain emails between UND President Robert Kelley, the Big Sky Conference and the NCAA since Jan. 1, apparently seeking to learn whether Kelley was working behind the scenes to counter Carlson’s efforts to save the Fighting Sioux nickname.

The Herald also obtained the emails, one of which indicates that Kelley knew about a letter coming from the Big Sky warning that the nickname issue could “destroy” Division I athletics at UND.

Through a spokesman, Kelley denied again Tuesday that he sought the Big Sky statement.