SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I'll offer up a few thoughts about the process.  I'm not an insider on this, but I've done other market research projects as a research consultant on some university name changes and other branding work.  Others are free to disagree, but here's how I see the process going.

1.  Overall, the committee has some reasonable scoring criteria, and they'll go through the suggestions and score them.  There's a lot of room for personal bias in that process, but that's unavoidable.

2.  In their scoring, they're going to kick out anything that's in the least bit controversial.  At all.  In anyone's mind.  This means nothing Native American, nothing that's overly white, and probably nothing that relates to people at all.  (If you're a Pilot or a Pioneer or whatever, you still have to assign a race to the mascot and no one wants to do that.)  New team names are really big on concepts and inanimate objects these days - Oklahoma City Thunder, Colorado Avalanche, etc. - and animals are always easy.  Concepts and animals can't complain.  Uniqueness should be important to them, so I bet if you look at this list, anything that shows up more than 10 times on a current team will be eliminated:  http://www.mascotdb.com/browse.php?page=M2#.VUfC3vlVgSV

3.  In their scoring, they're going to kill anything that's divisive.  If two large factions are each pushing for different names, they're both probably going to be eliminated unless one has some large donors attached to it.

4.  It would be fun to look at the results if they'll release that scoring, but I doubt they will.  They can only pick 3 to 5 finalists, and I'm sure there'll be 20 names that score well.  People will complain if their choice missed the finals by one vote, so the conservative approach is to not release anything.  I'm not sure I agree with that approach, because I think it could help people understand the process and buy into it.  But the conservative approach will be to not release it.

5.  At this point, they should do research to test the names.  Ideally, you'll do this with six audiences, in decreasing order of priority:  large donors or funders, alumni, general market population, staff and faculty, national or regional audience, and current students.  What they'll be looking for is:

- large donors or funders (which may include state legislators) - Do any of the names turn them off so much that it'll affect funding?  

- alumni - The simple truth is that alumni will hate everything.  That's true of any college name change.  People don't like losing their history, and it makes them feel old.  So you're trying to find something that they're most likely to begrudgingly accept and least likely to affect alumni donations.

- general market population - This is the main source of new students, and the main market for buying stuff.  I'm not a Dakotan, so I don't know if it's the whole state, part of the state, or some other geographic definition.  For this group you want to see what people like, and you're less concerned about what they hate.  Because the people who like it are the ones who'll buy stuff.

- staff and faculty - presumably this audience knows that the current name can't stand, so they're on board with the change.  You want to see what they like in order to keep them as flag-wavers of the brand, and eliminate options that they hate.

- national or regional audience.  You might test with this audience just to see if anything is lightning in a bottle, and if your finalists include something that's completely regional (e.g., Nodaks, whatever that is), you want to be sure that it has no negative connotations in other parts of the country and see if it's something that resonates at all.

- current students.  Current students are future alumni, and the only difference is time.  They're going to hate every suggestion, so the goal is really to figure out if any of the finalists will make them tip over cars and seize the student union.  Secondarily, you want to see if there are options that have significant support.

6.  Ideally, they would mock up some logos and collateral as part of Step 5, but budget might limit that.  If so, then they'll pick a finalist and come up with some logo designs.  

7.  Then as a bone for alumni and students, they'll hold an internal process with those groups to select a final logo.  There may be some more testing here similar to Step 5, but it'll be lower key.

• Upvote 1

So what passes for journalism today?

Create a Straw Man argument by taking the opinion of a few and blowing it up out of proportion.      Check

Throw in a few half truths  to try and give yourself a little credibility.     Check

Throw out some bold faced lies.    Check

A little revisionist history is always good for the uneducated masses.    Check

Make a few outlandish Apples and Oranges comparisons for good measure.    Check

Embarrassing.

2.  In their scoring, they're going to kick out anything that's in the least bit controversial.  At all.  In anyone's mind.  This means nothing Native American, nothing that's overly white, and probably nothing that relates to people at all.  (If you're a Pilot or a Pioneer or whatever, you still have to assign a race to the mascot and no one wants to do that.)  New team names are really big on concepts and inanimate objects these days - Oklahoma City Thunder, Colorado Avalanche, etc. - and animals are always easy.  Concepts and animals can't complain.  Uniqueness should be important to them, so I bet if you look at this list, anything that shows up more than 10 times on a current team will be eliminated:  http://www.mascotdb.com/browse.php?page=M2#.VUfC3vlVgSV

3.  In their scoring, they're going to kill anything that's divisive.  If two large factions are each pushing for different names, they're both probably going to be eliminated unless one has some large donors attached to it.

Points 2 and 3 are the most intelligent thing you've posted on this site. 

To your points in 2: 

- "New team names are really big on concepts and inanimate objects these days" -- I wonder if anybody submitted "The Torch", like the torch on the UND seal:whistling:

-  "Concepts and animals can't complain." -- This should also work for my submission of "The Mafia". John Gotti says there is no mafia so we're golden, right? 

- "you still have to assign a race" -- Not necessarily, I submitted "Ghost Riders" also. Who are those: the Sioux, the Ojibwa, or some band of cowboys?

So what passes for journalism today?

Create a Straw Man argument by taking the opinion of a few and blowing it up out of proportion. Check

Throw in a few half truths to try and give yourself a little credibility. Check

Throw out some bold faced lies. Check

A little revisionist history is always good for the uneducated masses. Check

Make a few outlandish Apples and Oranges comparisons for good measure. Check

Embarrassing.

Zaleski seems to have made the Forum live up to its true name, the Foolem. Generating all kinds of hate around the state for his Fargo centric views.

He editorialized about the last UND-NDSU game at the Alerus being such a travesty because UND charged $27.50 for tickets. Now when NDSU charges $60 seat, the hypocrite doesn't say anything as it benefits NDSU. The foolem is just a voice for Fargo fools who think the world revolves around them. But anything negative said about $2000 mill on the Fargo diversion, all hell will break loose.

The Dickinson Press is the best paper in ND today. Dustin Monke, who used to be a sportswriter, is on top of all kinds of issues.

• Upvote 1

All I have got to say is wow!

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/editorials/3736803-forum-editorial-und-fans-still-dont-get-it

I wonder what it is like to live in a world so black and white.

While I understand their point, their lack of subtlety is far from professional journalism or professional editorializing. The satirists of bygone days are rolling in their graves. 

I find great irony in their tactics when pressed against their use of the line: “Bullying,” we will never give it up! 

Honest question.  Is Flickertails being considered at all?  It's better than most of the other options I've heard and has history with the school.  I honestly don't think it's a bad nickname although I'm sure I'm in the minority. 

Honest question.  Is Flickertails being considered at all?  It's better than most of the other options I've heard and has history with the school.  I honestly don't think it's a bad nickname although I'm sure I'm in the minority. 

It's a rodent.

Dr. Kelley is on the record as saying we'll not be going back to Flickertails ... which given Dr. Kelley's modus operandi of late means it's a shoo in.  

Flickertails is too similar to the 13 striped "g-word" to the east -- not distinct. Admit it 'ucci: You'd claim Goophie wannabees. 

And then there's the all-caps problem:  FLICKERS

Dr. Kelley is on the record as saying we'll not be going back to Flickertails ... which given Dr. Kelley's modus operandi of late means it's a shoo in.  

Flickertails is too similar to the 13 striped "g-word" to the east -- not distinct. Admit it 'ucci: You'd claim Goophie wannabees. 

And then there's the all-caps problem:  FLICKERS

I've changed my mind.  It's now acceptable.....

Hak and that guy on ESPN from the 2011 Frozen Four approve as well!! :)

The initial mystery is part of the allure, am I right? You're intrigued, you're curious, you're thinking, "What is this thing called an ermine?" And then you look it up and see a furry and adorable ball of terror that is pound for pound one of the most terrifying creatures on this big blue ball that we call earth.

maxresdefault.jpg

Your name died.