SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

So how much longer is this going to bleepin take? Is there a good chance we stay UND for the entire 2015-16 season and then implement logo for 16-17?

I am hoping a new name is chosen by July 1st. Implemented by fall semester. I think it can and will happen.

I've seen Roughriders as a top 3 choice in an unofficial SS poll, Herald Poll, and Fargo Forum poll. Not sure how many more unofficial polls I need to see to tell me that it is at least a top 3 choice among fans. As for Badlanders there is plenty worse on there and if the Forum poll is a good indicator I am fine with that name if it's on the ballot. 

In my mind these polls are actually a good thing for the committee to look at. Gives them an idea of what some of the fans top choices are. Not counting just North Dakota as like I mentioned it shouldn't even be up for consideration. 

Considering the site is allowing me to vote multiple times, I think it's pretty much a worthless indicator.

• Upvote 1

C'mon, you know what that "casual slogan" would be. That's why I still say "no nickname" is just a ruse to keep using the retired name.

Are we obsessed with not using the retired name?  Massively fixated??  I thought the deal was we couldn't officially be the Sioux but there would never be any policy banning people from coming to an event in Sioux gear or exercising their free speech to say "go Sioux"?  Why are you so hell bent on making sure it is eradicated?  We have been removed from the "list" and a settlement was declared and followed.  It's over or is there something more we must do??

..I can't wait for next year when the fans chant "Sioux Forever" in a deafening fashion and the announcers can't rationalize it based on some bogus assertion that it is being done because they are "the last ones to wear the Sioux Jersey".

The future will be bright for Sioux Fans.  Come up with any nickname you want, I've quit caring about that.. it aint gonna work.  Not in so much as we will still wear our Sioux gear and declare our team the Sioux..

People call themselves and call others what they want to be called.  The only way to convince someone to change that is convince them that it is wrong and we all know that it was never wrong.  The only thing that was/is wrong is the NCAA not minding their own business and further not for one second respecting the wishes of the majority of both Sioux members and everyone else.

Then there are those that keep trying to associate an asinine NCAA policy with right and wrong(see this forum for the last 12 years).  It's simple; Adhere to the policy and don't do a damn thing more.  We are Sioux fans!  The NCAA can't say we aren't, Period!! end of story!! 

It's funny, whenever I post on here about maintaining the integrity of the Sioux name I get these, "It's over. Move on." like I am some last of the Mohicans irrationally holding on to some relic that has been banished by the will of all else replies from the same old players who hang around on here like it is their job to be some sort of moral authority for "The Program", yet when the vast majority of the people say they want to just be "North Dakota" these same clowns get back on their soap box, get all lathered with moral turpitude and proclaim that this is being done as chicanery to keep the name. Yeah I'm talking about you junior(not u Sikatoka). 

For once, based on the majority (See any poll/ or a UND home game) I say to you all.  Move on!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Considering the site is allowing me to vote multiple times, I think it's pretty much a worthless indicator.

It was quite obvious the same individual was able to submit the same name multiple times in the und online suggestion process as well.

• Upvote 2

Well I guess we cannot let facts get in the way.  Please look at the number of recommendations to the committee that had North Dakota, or some form thereof as the lead option (other than remaining Fighting Sioux).  There is fact #1 regarding a majority view.  Also, look at the Forum poll which has remaining North Dakota as the majority opinion.  Facts are on my side.  As far as the NCAA goes, there is legal jargon involved, but officially making it North Dakota would satisfy the requirement.  I stated that we could trademark a slogan such as "Force of the North" to be used.  It does not have to be a nickname.  I stated it already had been used on a couple of occasions already by the University.

I would be willing to bet that if they stay just North Dakota that we will be having this same conversation time and again, and more money spent on consultants and panels in the future.  It will be the same scenario as the back and forth on the Fighting Sioux nickname controversy, until they finally decide to pick a new nickname and move on. 

Why are you so hell bent on making sure it is eradicated?  

Eradicated? No. 

Do I want to make sure it doesn't become the de facto "official unofficial" name and we're back on the list? Yes. Don't believe that could happen? Can the NCAA control you as a fan, a booster, and what you say today? Yes, yes, it can

Do I want to make sure we don't look like a bunch of yokels who use a loophole (if there really is a loophole) to renege on a contract? Yes. 

Am I dissatisfied with our neighbors at Spirit Lake and Standing Rock (at least the tribal governments) and wish to see them reap the rewards of their actions? Yes, yes I do. 

No joke, that is my opinion. I don't think it is in the best interest of UND to just stay North Dakota just so people can hang onto the Fighting Sioux name. I love the Fighting Sioux name but it's time to move on. As for the committee, I have no idea what they will actually do or actually think just know a lot of them want what is  best for UND and in my opinion moving onto a new nickname is best. I am certainly not alone in that opinion.

Good thing you're not on the committee. 

Well I guess we cannot let facts get in the way.  Please look at the number of recommendations to the committee that had North Dakota, or some form thereof as the lead option (other than remaining Fighting Sioux).  There is fact #1 regarding a majority view.  Also, look at the Forum poll which has remaining North Dakota as the majority opinion.  Facts are on my side.  As far as the NCAA goes, there is legal jargon involved, but officially making it North Dakota would satisfy the requirement.  I stated that we could trademark a slogan such as "Force of the North" to be used.  It does not have to be a nickname.  I stated it already had been used on a couple of occasions already by the University.

Again, I said scientific.  You're citing two anonymous polls that a single person could cast as many votes as they please (and they did, see the multiple obvious copy and paste jobs or our good buddy the Ermine for proof).  On top of that, there was zero limitations on who could vote.  It was anonymous, you didn't have to be a stakeholder of any kind or have UND's best interests in mind.  The only "facts" that those polls show is that basically anyone can use the internet.

You claim legal jargon and then pass over the part where it specifically says "adopt" and "new nickname".  Yet you don't say how not adopting anything and using North Dakota (which has been used since 1883) qualifies as new.

As others have stated, I have a hard time seeing the representatives picked to represent the stakeholders putting North Dakota on the ballot.  It solves zero of the problems that UND is in and continues to give the group of people that regard the Fighting Sioux nickname as some sort of deity false hope that it will somehow be reinstated as UND's nickname some day.

• Upvote 3

Read that KSSioux's wife, who is part NA, was/is "disgusted" by the fact that Cavalry is still in the running.  Guess I struggle to see where at this stage in the nickname game the NA population's opinion is relevant. They, as a collected group, had ample opportunities to help resolve the "Fighting Sioux" issue.  Right now it is what it is...........IMO it's time for the NA community to step aside on this issue and just take whatever becomes of it.  Roughriders, Spirit, Cavalry, Sundogs or Fighting Greens........very few are going to be happy with the ultimate outcome.  But for those within the NA community, and not singling out KSSioux's wife, to go from "hostile and abusive" with "Fighting Sioux" to now "disgusted" that Cavalry is still on the board...............I have a problem with that.

FYI, my wife is disgusted that Cavalry made the list, but she did state that if UND's nickname had been Cavalry all along, she would not have had a problem with it.  The big issue is in the perception of how/why now that nickname would be chosen and the perception that follows.

C'mon, you know what that "casual slogan" would be. That's why I still say "no nickname" is just a ruse to keep using the retired name.

No, I responded to a suggestion that a slogan like "Force of the North" could be used. That suggestion addressed what the University might choose as a slogan. What the fans privately continue to wear at games and around town is not determined by University policy or decree, or for that matter by the ncaa..

Can all the Sioux Forever people quit saying that UND is going to make them stop wearing Sioux gear to games.  Stop making sh*t up to try and act tough and solidify your pathetic argument.  You know you can wear whatever the hell you want.  

• Downvote 1

Good thing you're not on the committee. 

Based on the fact only 2 committee members thought that no nickname (aka, unofficially being the Fighting Sioux) should move along I think there are plenty on the committee that can carry that torch for the rest of us. 

FYI, my wife is disgusted that Cavalry made the list, but she did state that if UND's nickname had been Cavalry all along, she would not have had a problem with it.  The big issue is in the perception of how/why now that nickname would be chosen and the perception that follows.

Perception is a two way street.  For the very reasons Cavalry and how/why it possibly could be chosen disgusts your wife I guarantee there are plenty on the opposite side of that perception and would be all for it.

Just saying............

• Upvote 1

Are we obsessed with not using the retired name?  Massively fixated??  I thought the deal was we couldn't officially be the Sioux but there would never be any policy banning people from coming to an event in Sioux gear or exercising their free speech to say "go Sioux"?  Why are you so hell bent on making sure it is eradicated?  We have been removed from the "list" and a settlement was declared and followed.  It's over or is there something more we must do??

..I can't wait for next year when the fans chant "Sioux Forever" in a deafening fashion and the announcers can't rationalize it based on some bogus assertion that it is being done because they are "the last ones to wear the Sioux Jersey".

The future will be bright for Sioux Fans.  Come up with any nickname you want, I've quit caring about that.. it aint gonna work.  Not in so much as we will still wear our Sioux gear and declare our team the Sioux..

People call themselves and call others what they want to be called.  The only way to convince someone to change that is convince them that it is wrong and we all know that it was never wrong.  The only thing that was/is wrong is the NCAA not minding their own business and further not for one second respecting the wishes of the majority of both Sioux members and everyone else.

Then there are those that keep trying to associate an asinine NCAA policy with right and wrong(see this forum for the last 12 years).  It's simple; Adhere to the policy and don't do a damn thing more.  We are Sioux fans!  The NCAA can't say we aren't, Period!! end of story!! 

It's funny, whenever I post on here about maintaining the integrity of the Sioux name I get these, "It's over. Move on." like I am some last of the Mohicans irrationally holding on to some relic that has been banished by the will of all else replies from the same old players who hang around on here like it is their job to be some sort of moral authority for "The Program", yet when the vast majority of the people say they want to just be "North Dakota" these same clowns get back on their soap box, get all lathered with moral turpitude and proclaim that this is being done as chicanery to keep the name. Yeah I'm talking about you junior(not u Sikatoka). 

For once, based on the majority (See any poll/ or a UND home game) I say to you all.  Move on!!

Speaking as someone who bleeds Fighting Sioux and has my whole life I can tell you I moved on years and years ago. At the end of the day if UND ends up just staying North Dakota will I care, I'll care a little because I don't think that is the best long term decision for the school, but my life goes on and i'll still support UND.

If UND chooses a name like Roughriders, North Stars, Badlanders, or whatever do I care? Yes, i'll care a little but as long as we get an ok name and not something like Sun Dogs i'll be fine. Even if it is a name I don't like my life goes on and i'll still support UND. 

So as you can see i'm good either way, because it's just a nickname and I've got more important things to worry about. I will still support UND either way and my life will be just fine. How will you and some of the other "Sioux Forever," people be holding up if just staying North Dakota and unofficially being the Fighting Sioux is not what we end up with. Judging by your post I'd be a little worried for you. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Perception is a two way street.  For the very reasons Cavalry and how/why it possibly could be chosen disgusts your wife I guarantee there are plenty on the opposite side of that perception and would be all for it.

Just saying............

Yes, we both agree with that.  Unfortunately there are folks who want to "stick it to the man", whether it be the NCAA or for those misinformed the Sioux people.  That is why any nickname should need a majority of votes that would surpass remaining North Dakota.  If that is the case than it would have to be lived with by those alumni, faculty, and students of the University. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, we both agree with that.  Unfortunately there are folks who want to "stick it to the man", whether it be the NCAA or for those misinformed the Sioux people.  That is why any nickname should need a majority of votes that would surpass remaining North Dakota.  If that is the case than it would have to be lived with by those alumni, faculty, and students of the University. 

The committee, who are representing various stakeholders, have been tasked to pick the best three from the list provided using the criteria provided by the first committee.  If the committee decides that "North Dakota" is one of the top 3 that fits the criteria as laid out, then you'll have your way.  If they decide it doesn't, then I guess that is that.  It doesn't get a free pass because people "said so" or anonymous people clicked a bunch of times on a website.  That's not the way the process has been laid out. 

Unfortunately there are folks who want to "stick it to the man", whether it be the NCAA or for those misinformed the Sioux people.   

At some point, you take responsibility for your actions or IN ACTION. The NA population had a chance, they passed, now it is time for UND to do what is best for itself.  If the name is not ND, then so be it.  Am I not going to wear my fighting sioux gear because thier name changed, heck no.  It is the history of the school.  But the NA population needs to understand that if it is Cavalry, there is a history of that in ND too.  That isn't sticking it to them.  My parents have a house that is less than 1 mile from Fort Lincoln state park.  Custer lived there and Mandan is proud of that history.  If UND takes that name, great, it honors its history. 

• Upvote 1

"He bought a ranch in the Dakota badlands." http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/people/historical/roosevelt/

Here I go again using Facts to discredit what you wrote.

Do you have a problem with a National Park being named after him in North Dakota or just if it was named after the group of men he led, the Roughriders.

I said he never owned land in North Dakota.  So no, you are not at all discrediting the facts which I wrote. 

He invested in a ranch, yes.  Which consisted of stock and buildings, etc.  But not land.   

I think he was a great President, and have no problem with a Park being named after him.  If people could have come up with a suitable nickname that had something to do with Teddy Roosevelt and his time spent in North Dakota, I would have been ok with that.

http://www.theodorerooseveltcenter.org/Learn-About-TR/TR-Trail/TR-Trail-Pages/Theodore-Roosevelt-in-North-Dakota/TR-in-North-Dakota/Elkhorn-Ranch.aspx