SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

This morning on the Sunday morning show on CBS there was a story on uga from the university of Georgia. Could und fans and the school rally around a real dog mascot? Uga is a celebrity in Georgia. He has his own suburban, his own room, and a suite at the football games. I'd be willing to haul one of my labs to all the sporting events as the official mascot!

No name and mascot will ever be able to fully replace the fighting sioux name. But I really think the und community could get behind a real live animal mascot.

No matter what name is chosen there will be reasons to hate it - I still like the thought of finding something regionally linked. Someone suggested this name to me:

Nordic Warriors

Of course you can easily trash any name that is suggested but it's just another possibility linked to the Scandinavian culture of the area,

After filling out the "survey" that was e-mailed to some a couple days again it is very apparent that this "process" is setting up to be nothing more than a thinly veiled facade to ram down some lame nickname that gets approval from the same PC/educational folks who know what is "best" for UND and society as a whole!

After filling out the "survey" that was e-mailed to some a couple days again it is very apparent that this "process" is setting up to be nothing more than a thinly veiled facade to ram down some lame nickname that gets approval from the same PC/educational folks who know what is "best" for UND and society as a whole!

Did the survey ask what nickname you want or was it strictly about the voting process?

I agree 100% - The survey did not even ask if a nickname should be chosen.  Seems like that would be the first question.  Pretty much seemed like a lot of fluff to appease.

No matter what name is chosen there will be reasons to hate it - I still like the thought of finding something regionally linked. Someone suggested this name to me:

Nordic Warriors

Of course you can easily trash any name that is suggested but it's just another possibility linked to the Scandinavian culture of the area,

If you want to go with this line of thinking I still say we use something like Einherjar.  It pertains to warriors in Norse Mythology. 

Nordic Warriors

Fighting Norse

done...

In Norse mythology, the einherjar (Old Norse "single (or once) fighters"[1]) are those that have died in battle and are brought to Valhalla by valkyries. In Valhalla, the einherjar eat their fill of the nightly-resurrecting beast Sæhrímnir, and are brought their fill of mead (from the udder of the goat Heiðrún) by valkyries. The einherjar prepare daily for the events of Ragnarök

• Upvote 1

In Norse mythology, the einherjar (Old Norse "single (or once) fighters"[1]) are those that have died in battle and are brought to Valhalla by valkyries. In Valhalla, the einherjar eat their fill of the nightly-resurrecting beast Sæhrímnir, and are brought their fill of mead (from the udder of the goat Heiðrún) by valkyries. The einherjar prepare daily for the events of Ragnarök

Okay,  let's go with "Berzerkers" then.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Folks it's not about the name ... it's about how/when/where we announce it and we missed the perfect time.

We should've asked the NCAA for five minutes during the pre-game of a recently televised FBS game, the five minutes right after the flaming spear went into the ground in the game between the Florida State Seminoles and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish

The NCAA has a policy against nicknamed based on "race, ethnicity, or national origin". 

Excellent point Sicatoka!

Hypothetical:

If any ethnic name were chosen, say the "Fighting Norse", I could see ways that could be construed as offensive.

1. Not honoring the heritage and original tenants of the state.

2. People of Nordic heritage could find it offensive, that they are portrayed as fighting group. And if they/we become a minority then all hell could break loose.

Obviously, this is in jest, good or poor. But this whole "process" is a joke. And a bad one.

I still say there has to be a way to come to a conclusion as a community and pick a name, or not, before one is bestowed upon us from idiots above

You are absolutely dreaming if you think a white-centric name like "Fighting Norse" will even be remotely considered by do-good academia nuts involved in this whole sham of a process.

I, for one, will be absolutely astounded if the nickname isn't something abstract like Storm, Pride, Spirit, or, worst of all, SunDogs.