SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I still kind of like the "Boondockers." 

Logo?

A pair of 8" (up the ankle) steel-toed lace-up boots (Marine boondockers) with a hat like Bubba wears (boonie hat) set off-center on top of them. 

(The boots would be a nice subtle message to opposing teams about what they'll get when they face UND --> steel-toe enema.) 

For those who don't like to admit that North Dakota is out in the boondocks I say, "I feel no shame, I'm proud of where I came from. I was born and raised in the boondocks."

• Upvote 1

We could be the Semolinas!  :D

How about Seminals.  We could have a hairy sack with two bulges for a mascot.  Bring Tom Green and Lance Armstrong in for cancer awareness campaigns.  Our opponents could taunt us with vasectomy chants.  After a loss, coach could go on and on about how the freshmen didn't drop.  Cheer and dance teams could dress up in slick white bodysuits and squirm around.

How about Seminals. We could have a hairy sack with two bulges for a mascot. Bring Tom Green and Lance Armstrong in for cancer awareness campaigns. Our opponents could taunt us with vasectomy chants. After a loss, coach could go on and on about how the freshmen didn't drop. Cheer and dance teams could dress up in slick white bodysuits and squirm around.

Well now we're getting somewhere.

If you want to get up to speed on und's new nickname process all you have to do is check out bisonville. Just since yesterday they have multiple pages of posts. Haven't lurked over there in a while but wow.

Why do they care so much? :)

If I am not mistaken, the FLORIDA Seminoles signed off; the OKLAHOMA Seminoles were not even asked (and to this day are opposed).

The Oklahoma Seminoles are not opposed as a tribe.  They have made no efforts to show any opposition.  Before the NCAA set up the ban, they believed that the Oklahoma Seminoles would be opposed and it is believed that the NCAA was going to use that opposition to completely ban Native American nicknames.  It turns out that 1 very vocal member of tribal government had misrepresented the position of the Oklahoma tribe.  He was opposed.  The tribe never addressed the issue.  That is when the NCAA set up the local tribe approval exception that Florida State, Utah and a few other schools were able to use.  It was their way out of a fight with Florida State.  There have been some individuals with the Oklahoma Seminole tribe that have expressed some opposition, but it has never been brought to tribal government.

Not sure if anybody here at the game in the springs this weekend, but the local sports radio and some CC fans refer to us as the Maple Hens... I don't really dig that nickname.

I'm fine with being North Dakota. Everybody knows who we are with or without a nickname.

The Oklahoma Seminoles are not opposed as a tribe.  They have made no efforts to show any opposition.  Before the NCAA set up the ban, they believed that the Oklahoma Seminoles would be opposed and it is believed that the NCAA was going to use that opposition to completely ban Native American nicknames.  It turns out that 1 very vocal member of tribal government had misrepresented the position of the Oklahoma tribe.  He was opposed.  The tribe never addressed the issue.  That is when the NCAA set up the local tribe approval exception that Florida State, Utah and a few other schools were able to use.  It was their way out of a fight with Florida State.  There have been some individuals with the Oklahoma Seminole tribe that have expressed some opposition, but it has never been brought to tribal government.

Fair enough.  But in light of recent developments with the Redskins issue, the collective noise coming from the Sooner State (as reported by OK-based media) was very anti-nickname and nobody seemed too concerned with splitting hairs.  Have to wonder if the tide there has turned in the past several years.

Was hunting near Amidon ND this weekend with my father and some of his buddies. One of the buddies is an avid ND historian and he said Sitting Bull's great great grandson was a keynote speaker at a symposium this summer near Killdeer on ND NA battles. He talked to the grandson at length about the UND Sioux name and SB GG grandson said it was an injustice what happened at Standing Rock and was embarrassed at how it was handled. He said vote would have been 75% in favor of name. Guess he pulled up in a pickup truck with a big Fighting Sioux stick on window of his cab.

• Upvote 2