SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

In the past year I've seen lots of people end their post "Roll Tribe"....how about "Tribe"? And no, it doesn't just refer to groups of American Indians. (I will say I'm not a fan of singular nicknames, though. Like the "Wild". I like the team, but not the nickname.)

Yah Tribe has come up I believe there are at least two other schools that have it - not a deal breaker in my opinion - once again I would just say that the liberal lefties that are going to make dang sure their opinions are heard when this decision is made will say it is too "Native American" in context no matter what spin you put on it. (they would also say it would just perpetuate the Fighting Sioux logo).

If UND decides to add a nickname it's going to be an ugly process and there will be no winners - We are North Dakota - let's keep it at that.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the law that was passed when they retired the name was that UND could not even start the process for looking for a nickname until 2015. Somehow I am thinking that has to be right because we are 7 months from 2015 and there hasn't even been a whisper about a selection process being discussed by the U niversity. Which leads me to wondering what the time frame will be for selecting a new name once the ball drops and 2015 is here.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the law that was passed when they retired the name was that UND could not even start the process for looking for a nickname until 2015. Somehow I am thinking that has to be right because we are 7 months from 2015 and there hasn't even been a whisper about a selection process being discussed by the U niversity. Which leads me to wondering what the time frame will be for selecting a new name once the ball drops and 2015 is here.

The law states "Neither the state board of higher education nor the university of North Dakota may adopt or implement an athletic nickname or corresponding logo before January 1, 2015." So I think they would be within the law to start planning/researching a new name, as long as it isn't formally adopted or implemented before January. It appears UND is simply waiting it out beyond what was required by law.

William and Mary uses the name "tribe" and they had to remove the feathers off of the "WM" work mark to come into compliance. So Tribe is OK provided there is no connection to Indians.

The U won't use names that sound NA like Tribe or Brave or Warrior. They will keep it PC. UND green birds or fighting crayons.

Roughriders

Oilers

SuperSonics

Jets

Aviators

North Stars

Cossacks

just a few of my personal favorites

Wow, you just named 3 NHL teams, and a former NBA team. I know it will be hard to not duplicate nicknames, but I do like the Jets name (as in Winnipeg Jets not NY Jets...yuck) Its a PC name, UND is known for aviation, and fans can cheer Let's go Jets, or J-E-T-S..Jets, Jets, Jets.

Also only one school has the nickname and its South Georgia Technical College, and they have one sport, basketball

http://www.southgatech.edu/index.cfm?PageID=238

Yah Tribe has come up I believe there are at least two other schools that have it - not a deal breaker in my opinion - once again I would just say that the liberal lefties that are going to make dang sure their opinions are heard when this decision is made will say it is too "Native American" in context no matter what spin you put on it. (they would also say it would just perpetuate the Fighting Sioux logo).

If UND decides to add a nickname it's going to be an ugly process and there will be no winners - We are North Dakota - let's keep it at that.

EXACTLY!!!!! FIGHTING SIOUX FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Green, Icemen, Roughriders, North Stars...Everythings been taken it seems for our area, too bad we couldnt use something else that made sense to our territory, something like a strong prideful native american logo, oh

Hmm the Iceman is kinda cool, there's something about that i like, however the name doesnt match the colors, if we were blue instead of green it would.