SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this all going on behind closed doors? The legislature's moratorium expires next year and there does not appear to be much going on in the news about the new name. In light of Kelly's reaction to the Gamma Phi sign, should we expect a lame weather related soccer-style name like Northern Lights?

Is this all going on behind closed doors? The legislature's moratorium expires next year and there does not appear to be much going on in the news about the new name. In light of Kelly's reaction to the Gamma Phi sign, should we expect a lame weather related soccer-style name like Northern Lights?

There is a team in Montana called Northern Lights, MSU-Northern I believe.

Stanford used to be the Indians. They changed it to Cardinal, as in the color, not the bird. They're the Stanford Cardinal. Thusly, the University of North Dakota Emerald. That is the shade of green used, right? Could also implement the image of an emerald somehow. Before you jump all over me, I've been supportive of keeping the Fighting Sioux for years. Have been very supportive of the fight. I understand the emotions behind all of this. That's my penny's worth. I cheered for UND in the Frozen Four, and even had a small party with family to watch it.

The cheer would be "let's go Emerald," not the plural. I'm already ducking.

Is Dakota offensive to someone? What about Pontiac? Can we have anything? Change the state, change everything!

Pontiac was an Indian chief. Good luck.... Then again he was Canadian I believe so you can bet your house the people of el forko grande would embrace it.

Wow - really Pontiac was an indian chief - who knew - (except just about everyone) Guess that FU education is really coming in handy as a professional website troller. Can you check and see if there are any other car models named after native americans and report back - I'll give you head start - start with Jeep.