SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Virg Foss' unscientific poll shows fans overwhelmingly in favor of going forward with No Nickname. Not surprised. One suggested "A Boy Named Sioux" for new goal song with fans shouting "my name is Sioux, how do you do" after each goal. Never get away with it.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Given the statue of Tatanka Yotanka (Sitting Bull), the warrior, on his horse, is still in front of REA ...

Cavalry (from French cavalerie, cf. cheval 'horse') or horsemen were soldiers or warriors who fought mounted on horseback.

Yes, Cavalry.

Sitting Bull was cavalry. So was Teddy Roosevelt.

Cavalry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry

Given the statue of Tatanka Yotanka (Sitting Bull), the warrior, on his horse, is still in front of REA ...

Cavalry (from French cavalerie, cf. cheval 'horse') or horsemen were soldiers or warriors who fought mounted on horseback.

Yes, Cavalry.

Sitting Bull was cavalry. So was Teddy Roosevelt.

Cavalry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry

That's been my favorite since this BS took off again in the late 1990's.

Accidentally deleted my post so a shortened version. Cavalry is ok but don't like The Cavs for short, which media and opponents will do. I do like Nokes as a shortened version of Nokota. The North Dakota Nokes has a good flow to it, IMO. My first choice is still Norse or Norsemen tho. :-)

• Upvote 1

Accidentally deleted my post so a shortened version. Cavalry is ok but don't like The Cavs for short, which media and opponents will do. I do like Nokes as a shortened version of Nokota. The North Dakota Nokes has a good flow to it, IMO. My first choice is still Norse or Norsemen tho. :-)

Yes, the Cleveland Cavaliers is a cool nickname...shortening that to Cleveland "Cavs" is just plain dumb.

You can't be the Norsemen because that would create ambiguity with women's athletics. Norsemen and Norsewomen just will NOT happen, sorry.

Yes, the Cleveland Cavaliers is a cool nickname...shortening that to Cleveland "Cavs" is just plain dumb.

You can't be the Norsemen because that would create ambiguity with women's athletics. Norsemen and Norsewomen just will NOT happen, sorry.

The Lady Norse? :xmas:

Which is why you start calling teams something to compensate ...

UND running game -- Ground Cav!

UND hockey -- Ice Cav!

and of course ...

UND passing game -- Air Cav!

Cav alone is bad, so fix it. ;)

That works for the hometown fans to a degree but I don't see opposing fans or media doing that. Much easier to say/type the Cavs.

That works for the hometown fans to a degree but I don't see opposing fans or media doing that. Much easier to say/type the Cavs.

I absolutely detest nicknames where the name is shortened to something that isn't even a word. For example, some of the worst jerseys of recent memory include the 1980's "CAVS" jerseys for Cleveland as well as the BOLTS jerseys that Tampa Bay wore and the SENS jerseys of the Ottawa Senators. Sens? Really? You would never call the Dodgers the Dods or the Braves the Bras, so why something as lame as Cavs? Yuck.