SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

But I think some other school in Grand Forks might just be using that name already. The whole idea of using Rough Riders should be dropped.

Ames, IA: Iowa State Cyclones, Ames HS Little Cyclones

Ft. Collins, CO: Colorado State Rams, Ft. Collins HS Lambkins*

So don't say it can't work in Grand Forks, ND.

And Rough Riders was put out there by Jesse Taken Alive and Phil Jackson. Thus that side of the aisle regarding the old moniker has given their imprimateur.

*a lambkin is a young sheep (Ram or ewe)

Sica ur next....as for the reapers what would your logo look like? a scythe or a drone?

The green jerseys would be an acknowledgement of the agrarian history. Probably a scythe motif.

The home white jerseys would be a salute to the local folks (GFAFB and aviation): an MQ-9 motif.

The black jerseys? I don't know, maybe something with this theme? ;)

The new nickname needs to be something inspiring, and something that draws admiration and respect. I think picking RoughRiders would make it easier (not easy, just easier) to ease the pain of leaving Fighting Sioux in the past.

North Dakotans disagree on a lot of things. Support for those brave enough to put their lives on the line to defend our freedom is as close to unanimous as it gets.

And that's the angle you play up with "Rough Riders" (that and TR's time in ND). It makes "Military Appreciation Day" more important at UND.

Yes, but that would show disrespect and insensitivity to the victims of Tsunamis in Japan. Sorry. I like it too but it will not fly.

If Hurricanes, Cyclones and Golden Hurricanes are okay, Tsunamis should be okay.

Although, what would a logo look like? Would it be similar to Tulane's Green Wave?

If Hurricanes, Cyclones and Golden Hurricanes are okay, Tsunamis should be okay.

Although, what would a logo look like? Would it be similar to Tulane's Green Wave?

Tsunami.....no. The logo would have to be green. Too much like Green Wave. EGFHS has that. We need to stay away from HS nicknames in the area...especially within 5 miled of campus!!!

And Rough Riders was put out there by Jesse Taken Alive and Phil Jackson. Thus that side of the aisle regarding the old moniker has given their imprimateur.

sorry if I'm not too excited about any proposals from JTA or Phil Jackson...:(

Didn't Dave Kolpack call UND North Dakota's flag ship a couple of weeks ago. Let's take his advice....

THE North Dakota Flagship. :p

The logo could be the jolly roger.

The hockey players could be called ice pirates. Basketball.. deck hands. The football team the crew, with lineman as the lubbers.

And UND puts another opponent into Davy Jones locker.

For now. I bet there's a couple people out there just being trained to see how offensive Rough Riders would be. There's always going to be another JTA. Perhaps we should ask the TC to vote on that or have another pipe ceremony?

I'm pretty sure some folks on this board know the answer to my question.

Is it more trouble than it's worth to go after a mascot/nickname that a professional sports team already uses in regards to approval/royalties/etc?

Is it more trouble than it's worth to go after a mascot/nickname that a professional sports team already uses in regards to approval/royalties/etc?

I can't claim definitive knowledge, but it would seem reasonable to assume.

Create your own unique moniker, logo, image and your ownership rights would seem easier to establish and claim and own.

I wonder if we can be called the UND Fighting U. (during our cool off period). That way they can say here come your Fighting U!!!!!!! University of North Dakota Fighting U scoring! Fight on U (instead of Fight on Sioux). Just having UND and nothing else isn't going to work.

I wonder if we can be called the UND Fighting U. (during our cool off period). That way they can say here come your Fighting U!!!!!!! University of North Dakota Fighting U scoring! Fight on U (instead of Fight on Sioux). Just having UND and nothing else isn't going to work.

Careful, you may get Fetch excited. "U" ..... ewe..... sheep.
  • Upvote 1

Hey, I like that. "The Fighting U"

And then on the jersey we can put the initials FU. :lol: Just kidding. Seriously, I like that name.

I want to state this right now: If we are going to use the standard that says "If someone else is already using it, we can't", then we might as well shut this thread down now. We need to brainstorm all the best ideas and not worry if someone else is using it or not.

That means.....

North Stars or Stars is fair game.

Roughriders is fair game.

Tornadoes is fair game.

Oilers is fair game.

Miners is fair game.

If that upsets some high school parents and/or fans, then so be it. I just want us to pick a name and logo that is marketable, gives us a solid identity and that doesn't "offend" the wrong people. I am so glad we have until 2015 to figure this one out.

Deep Breath. End of Rant.

I want to state this right now: If we are going to use the standard that says "If someone else is already using it, we can't", then we might as well shut this thread down now. We need to brainstorm all the best ideas and not worry if someone else is using it or not.

That means.....

Tornadoes is fair game.

Oilers is fair game.

Miners is fair game.

If that upsets some high school parents and/or fans, then so be it. I just want us to pick a name and logo that is marketable, gives us a solid identity and that doesn't "offend" the wrong people. I am so glad we have until 2015 to figure this one out.

fair statement. any good nickname is already in use or was forcibly retired.

That means.....

Tornadoes is fair game.

Oilers is fair game.

Miners is fair game.

Agreed. I like "Redskins" myself ... :ohmy::lol:

• Upvote 2