SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Frozen 4

AZSIOUX

Hello fellow SS members,

Can someone give me a quick run down of the twin cities.

Where should I stay? Minneapolis or St Paul.

What things are there to do and see while in the area?

Public transport?

Good places to eat?

Etc

Any info on the twin cities would be great.

In return I'll give you any info I can on trips to Australia if anyone ever makes it down here, which you all should, you will love it.

Thanks

Hello fellow SS members,

Public transport?

Good places to eat?

Etc

In return I'll give you any info I can on trips to Australia if anyone ever makes it down here, which you all should, you will love it.

Thanks

Well, the tournament is in St. Paul, so I'd suggest staying there out of convenience. The St Paul Hotel is very nice and near the arena. The Holiday Inn is nice and is also right by the arena.

The Twin Cities is a large metro area, but the two cities of Minneapolis and St Paul aren't really that big, its the suburbs that make it large. Of the two, Minneapolis feels like more of a big city with a bigger corporate footprint downtown and the big University campus. St Paul feels more like a bigger small town and more "neighborhoody". Minneapolis feels more modern, and St Paul feels more nostalgic.

Public transportation is poor for a metro area with 3 million people. The light rail connects Minneapolis to the airport and the Mall of America, but doesn't yet reach St Paul (they're working on it). Taxis are also inconvenient compared to other cities.

Restaurants: lots of them- for a nicer meal you can do Kincaid's near the arena, but there are numerous bars and restaurants to fit the type of meal you're looking for. I don't think there is one place that I would say is "can't miss" or anything like that.

Minneapolis is known as the city of lakes, and there are several medium sized lakes around the city that are all connected. This chain of lakes is a park system and has parkway with walking, running and biking trails. If it is nice out, that is a fun option. Other things: There's a lot of art and culture with several theaters (Ordway, Orpheum), a professional orchestra, a few art centers (Walker, Minneapolis Institute), There's a children's museum, a science museum, two zoos, the Mall of America. Stillwater is a suburb that is an old river town and can be quite pretty with quaint shops and tourist stops.

The Frozen Four is officially sold out. Best of luck to those still looking for tickets!

I got tickets for my daughter/me late Sunday night off of StubHub. Paid a little more than my wife, who doesn't know exact $$$ figure, would have liked I'm sure, but got seats in club section. As of last night those same seats are up 140% of what I paid.

I've been to multiple big time sporting events over the years, minus a Super Bowl & the Masters (bucket list), and here is my take on finding tickets:

Stubhub...insured/guaranteed and you know exactly what you are getting at a set price and when you want to buy them.

USCHO.com...have been completely stung along everytime I've have been contacted by someone selling tickets. Don't think for a second people are selling strictly at face over there.

Craigs list....good and bad experiences. Lots of nuts out there.

Broker i.e. Ticket King....it's a broker. Capitalism at it's finest.

Bottom line...supply and demand. I look at this way...some sporting events are lifetime memory makers. To go with a daughter, specials friends or family, sell the dog, the golf clubs :( or the wife :ohmy: because events like the 2011 F4 are priceless when you look back 5-10 years from now IMO.

My daughter, who is ten, still talks about our trip when Porter's wrap around sent the Gophs packing in the West regional in Denver. She still talks about Finley, looking like a pylon, as BC routed us at the F4 in Denver. She still talks about being able to skate on the same ice as UND at that same F4 the Friday between games. Those memories, as a dad, I can't put a $$$$ amount on. If you want/can go to St. Paul, by all mean find a way to score tickets...it'll be $$$ well spent...trust me.

(verklempt with tissue) ;)

Things true all Oxbow6.

However, a little bit of staying the course for those still looking will do wonders for the market to drop.

If looking and buying folks stood down for a few days, easier said than done of course, some of these jokers looking for a 300-400% mark-up will start staring at the taste of their own cardboard and

they will soon start getting more reasonable as a result.

Hello fellow SS members,

Public transport?

Good places to eat?

Etc

Thanks

I just checked availability at the Kelly Inn by the capitol building where my wife and I are staying, and, as suspected, booked!!

I got tickets for my daughter/me late Sunday night off of StubHub. Paid a little more than my wife, who doesn't know exact $$$ figure, would have liked I'm sure, but got seats in club section. As of last night those same seats are up 140% of what I paid.

I've been to multiple big time sporting events over the years, minus a Super Bowl & the Masters (bucket list), and here is my take on finding tickets:

Stubhub...insured/guaranteed and you know exactly what you are getting at a set price and when you want to buy them.

USCHO.com...have been completely stung along everytime I've have been contacted by someone selling tickets. Don't think for a second people are selling strictly at face over there.

Craigs list....good and bad experiences. Lots of nuts out there.

Broker i.e. Ticket King....it's a broker. Capitalism at it's finest.

Bottom line...supply and demand. I look at this way...some sporting events are lifetime memory makers. To go with a daughter, specials friends or family, sell the dog, the golf clubs :( or the wife :ohmy: because events like the 2011 F4 are priceless when you look back 5-10 years from now IMO.

My daughter, who is ten, still talks about our trip when Porter's wrap around sent the Gophs packing in the West regional in Denver. She still talks about Finley, looking like a pylon, as BC routed us at the F4 in Denver. She still talks about being able to skate on the same ice as UND at that same F4 the Friday between games. Those memories, as a dad, I can't put a $$$$ amount on. If you want/can go to St. Paul, by all mean find a way to score tickets...it'll be $$$ well spent...trust me.

(verklempt with tissue) ;)

eBay is a safe option as well. I have used eBay for a lot of ticket purchases over the years and have had good success. Ebay is much safer than craigslist!!!

Well, the tournament is in St. Paul, so I'd suggest staying there out of convenience. The St Paul Hotel is very nice and near the arena. The Holiday Inn is nice and is also right by the arena.

The Twin Cities is a large metro area, but the two cities of Minneapolis and St Paul aren't really that big, its the suburbs that make it large. Of the two, Minneapolis feels like more of a big city with a bigger corporate footprint downtown and the big University campus. St Paul feels more like a bigger small town and more "neighborhoody". Minneapolis feels more modern, and St Paul feels more nostalgic.

Public transportation is poor for a metro area with 3 million people. The light rail connects Minneapolis to the airport and the Mall of America, but doesn't yet reach St Paul (they're working on it). Taxis are also inconvenient compared to other cities.

Restaurants: lots of them- for a nicer meal you can do Kincaid's near the arena, but there are numerous bars and restaurants to fit the type of meal you're looking for. I don't think there is one place that I would say is "can't miss" or anything like that.

Minneapolis is known as the city of lakes, and there are several medium sized lakes around the city that are all connected. This chain of lakes is a park system and has parkway with walking, running and biking trails. If it is nice out, that is a fun option. Other things: There's a lot of art and culture with several theaters (Ordway, Orpheum), a professional orchestra, a few art centers (Walker, Minneapolis Institute), There's a children's museum, a science museum, two zoos, the Mall of America. Stillwater is a suburb that is an old river town and can be quite pretty with quaint shops and tourist stops.

Friday is opening day for the Minnesota twins, our major league baseball team. In downtown St Paul is the Science museum which is always a fun place. Last time I was there, King Tuts tour was there with a bunch of artifacts. If you are going to the game, one place that is a must eat experience is Mickeys Diner which is just north of the xcel arena. It is a greasy spoon, good burgers and other kinds of americana food.

Friday is opening day for the Minnesota twins, our major league baseball team. In downtown St Paul is the Science museum which is always a fun place. Last time I was there, King Tuts tour was there with a bunch of artifacts. If you are going to the game, one place that is a must eat experience is Mickeys Diner which is just north of the xcel arena. It is a greasy spoon, good burgers and other kinds of americana food.

I've lived in Mpls for 14 years and I have never eaten at Mickey's...I probably should, eh?

eBay is a safe option as well. I have used eBay for a lot of ticket purchases over the years and have had good success. Ebay is much safer than craigslist!!!

Forgot about E-bay...good option.

Not completely true, were in a suite, and will have booze and food. There will be no alcohol sales in the concourses though! Sioux fans will have to hit up the st Paul bars before the games, speaking of, where are the places to go by the x?

Btw, didn't mean to + your post, meant to hit reply. Go Sioux!

The fact that suites can have it but the other fans can't has always been Bullsh%$ to me. It should be all or nothing in my opinion.

Wow -- good to see you Fedorov. An overdue Frozen Four appearance is bringing everyone out of the woodwork :D (I, too, am thrilled not to see B.C. after my mistake of being excited about the revenge meetup in Denver, though wouldn't have minded a shot at Yale this year, #2 vs #1).

This board is all fancy and stuff. Looks like you guys cleaned the place up after I left. I actually was thinking of going to the game against Yale in MA last year , but it didn't sound like anyone I knew from here was going.

This board is all fancy and stuff. Looks like you guys cleaned the place up after I left. I actually was thinking of going to the game against Yale in MA last year , but it didn't sound like anyone I knew from here was going.

Why did you leave?

Why did you leave?

UND gave me a Ph.D. and made me leave. They said I had to get a real job. It is hard to follow the team when you can't see any of the games. Over the last two years I've had the Fox College Sports channels, and I'm enjoying whatever games I can. I'm definitely hoping the Fighting Sioux name stays!

Via Twitter

Update from ticket manager: She has received nearly 2,000 emails for Frozen Four tix. Responded to 1,200+ on Monday alone.

WOW! I read yesterday that each school receives 600 tickets.

Also, The Ralph will be hosting a Frozen Four viewing party. Nearly 2,000 fans showed up at the Midwest Regional viewing party. If you don't find tickets and are in the GF area, I would suggest going to The Ralph to watch. It was a great time.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/198377/group/homepage/

Via Twitter

WOW! I read yesterday that each school receives 600 tickets.

Also, The Ralph will be hosting a Frozen Four viewing party. Nearly 2,000 fans showed up at the Midwest Regional viewing party. If you don't find tickets and are in the GF area, I would suggest going to The Ralph to watch. It was a great time.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/198377/group/homepage/

When do the other schools turn back their tickets to the X? You wouldn't think there would be 600 Michigan fans or Notre Dame fans snatching up tickets...I could be wrong though.

The fact that suites can have it but the other fans can't has always been Bullsh%$ to me. It should be all or nothing in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree... it speaks to the hypocrisy of the NC$$. if they really don't want alcohol at their events, why is it allowed in the suites?? Ive never really understood that one. And as to the all or nothing, definately all :D

I wholeheartedly agree... it speaks to the hypocrisy of the NC$$. if they really don't want alcohol at their events, why is it allowed in the suites?? Ive never really understood that one. And as to the all or nothing, definately all :D

Yeah, it's so unlike the NCAA to have different sets of rules to apply to a situation...:(