SiouxSports.com Forum

All WCHA

yzerman19

So all the Gophers have to do is get to the Final Five and then have the favorites win in the other tournament games and they are in? That doesn't seem right...if the favorites win, then UMD beats UMN on the Thursday night game.

If favorites win--Thursday games--UMD plays UNO--MN plays Sioux

I whole-heartedly agree. MacWilliam and Blood are our 2 best Defensemen IMO. And then Marto and LaPoint. Nothing against Genoway, but he might be our 4th-5th defenseman this year. That says a lot to me about how good our D really is.

i agree with genoway (2nd team at best) in the lineup the team has to sit around and watch him dance with the puck up the ice. anyone notice the play of the sioux when they moved the puck up the ice as a team the past 10 games and how effective the pony line is without this type of play. was disappointing to see and im afraid we are going to see more of it. not a positive sign. I agree that blood has really turned his game around and playing a bit smarter and not always trying to make the big hit and being out of position. lapoint is also solid once again would like to see him on the pk more

• Downvote 1

i agree with genoway (2nd team at best) in the lineup the team has to sit around and watch him dance with the puck up the ice. anyone notice the play of the sioux when they moved the puck up the ice as a team the past 10 games and how effective the pony line is without this type of play. was disappointing to see and im afraid we are going to see more of it. not a positive sign. I agree that blood has really turned his game around and playing a bit smarter and not always trying to make the big hit and being out of position. lapoint is also solid once again would like to see him on the pk more

Too much is made of Genoway's tendency to carry the puck up the ice and get involved in the offensive zone. He's an offensive defenseman, so I don't understand the issue. You can't expect to be that successful with six stay at home d-men on the ice at all times. Yes, the Sioux have better defensive defenseman than Genoway, but Chay's overall game at the blue line is very, very good. He makes plays, and I don't think he makes nearly the amount of mistakes in the defensive zone that people think he does.

• Upvote 1

However, you do need to remember that you're punching in the outcomes of 63 remaining games (the number could grow if any of the WCHA play-ins split). That leaves a minimum of something like 9,223,372 trillion possible outcomes, so there are probably quite a few you'll miss.

:lol::lol:

I just haven't said much because what people are saying is right and it's hard to add much to it.

Whelan's calculator works great and can be a lot of fun to play around with. However, you do need to remember that you're punching in the outcomes of 63 remaining games (the number could grow if any of the WCHA play-ins split). That leaves a minimum of something like 9,223,372 trillion possible outcomes, so there are probably quite a few you'll miss.

Of course, a lot of those don't matter much, and it's easy to look at a team like UND's PWR and figure out everything that could flip. Minnesota, however, has at least a dozen comparisons that could easily flip; not to mention the added impact of the TUC-cliff uncertainty given their .4600 record vs. TUCs. Minnesota is firmly on the bubble, we should know a lot more about exactly what they need to do after this weekend.

So does Alabama Huntsville have a 1 in 9 trillion chance? :D

I believe that the Denver-Mankato matchup is huge for the Gophers. Mankato swept the Gophers. If DU sweeps Mankato they will likely drop from being a TUC which helps out the Gophers. However, if Mankato wins a game or beats Denver, they can remain a TUC and that hurts the Gophers cause. A key series.

A somewhat related question: If the Sioux win the national championship, do Sioux fans get to trash Dinkytown like Gopher fans would? ;)

I believe that the Denver-Mankato matchup is huge for the Gophers. Mankato swept the Gophers. If DU sweeps Mankato they will likely drop from being a TUC which helps out the Gophers. However, if Mankato wins a game or beats Denver, they can remain a TUC and that hurts the Gophers cause. A key series.

A somewhat related question: If the Sioux win the national championship, do Sioux fans get to trash Dinkytown like Gopher fans would? ;)

I don't know about trash it, but since I live in Dinkytown, I could "get trashed" in it afterwards...

was that an inappropriate comment? if so... my bad. :lol:

Yep, in addition to that one I'd add to Minnesota's wish list:

Ferris St. over W. Michigan (take RPI, flip the comparison w/W. Michigan)

Merrimack over Maine (take RPI, flip the comparison w/Maine)

Harvard over Dartmouth (take RPI, can flip the comparison w/Dartmouth by also taking TUC)

Wisconsin over CC (don't want CC to take RPI and the comparison)

Like I said, it seems wide open for the Gophers. They could be anywhere from 9th to 23rd after this weekend's scheduled games, alone. With a sweep, anything from 12-16 is reasonably likely.

I just read some of the ALL WCHA teams that some of the media members around the league published and Brad posted on his blog......

All I have to say for some of them is....wtf.....How does Frattin not end up as a first team forward on some of their teams? How does Blood not even make some third teams? :huh:

I do appreciate those guys publishing their votes though. Even though you can tell there is some biased voting involved.

Agreed that Mac is one of our best defensemen, but 0-6-6 is not All-WCHA material. Don't get me wrong, I love having him on our team; he is a beast. Greatest flight risk aside from Gregoire though? Hardly.

This is one of my big problems with the criteria used to pick defensemen for awards like this. The same criteria used for forwards should NOT be used for defensemen. Defensemen should be judged on overall defensive play; offensive stats are a bonus, but shouldn't be considered all-important. Mac is the Human Bulldozer and should be a candidate for the first team; I don't care what the goals-assists-points line says.

I just read some of the ALL WCHA teams that some of the media members around the league published and Brad posted on his blog......

All I have to say for some of them is....wtf.....How does Frattin not end up as a first team forward on some of their teams? How does Blood not even make some third teams? :huh:

I do appreciate those guys publishing their votes though. Even though you can tell there is some biased voting involved.

Let people think we are not that good. We'll just keep winning games until the cows come home. We always get hosed in the league-end awards anyway. I think Lee Goren was a second-team WCHA pick his senior year (1999-2000). How did that season end for him? :):D

This is one of my big problems with the criteria used to pick defensemen for awards like this. The same criteria used for forwards should NOT be used for defensemen. Defensemen should be judged on overall defensive play; offensive stats are a bonus, but shouldn't be considered all-important. Mac is the Human Bulldozer and should be a candidate for the first team; I don't care what the goals-assists-points line says.

Completely agree. For a defenseman an important stat is plus-minus. Blood leads the league for defensemen in plus minus and gets no recognition. He won't kill you with his offensive skills, but who would you rather have killing a penalty? Blood or Schultz? I agree you would rather have a guy like Schultz on the powerplay, but its supposed to be a defensive award.

I would love to see Tim Hennessy's ballot. I hope he wouldn't have three UND forwards, and two UND defensemen with Dell in the net.

I absolutely LOVE Mac. He is a great defensive defenseman, a potential NHL player, and arguably our most important defenseman.

I value him above most defenders in the league, but I don't think his plus/minus is good enough to make the short list. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Oh, and WE NEED HIM BACK IF WE HOPE TO HANG #8

• Upvote 1

I absolutely LOVE Mac. He is a great defensive defenseman, a potential NHL player, and arguably our most important defenseman.

I value him above most defenders in the league, but I don't think his plus/minus is good enough to make the short list. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Oh, and WE NEED HIM BACK IF WE HOPE TO HANG #8

Agreed. 100%!

Too much is made of Genoway's tendency to carry the puck up the ice and get involved in the offensive zone. He's an offensive defenseman, so I don't understand the issue. You can't expect to be that successful with six stay at home d-men on the ice at all times. Yes, the Sioux have better defensive defenseman than Genoway, but Chay's overall game at the blue line is very, very good. He makes plays, and I don't think he makes nearly the amount of mistakes in the defensive zone that people think he does.

I disagree, i would rather have frattin, malone, trupp carry the puck in the zone as they work better together than one of the 3 staying back while genoway is running around. I would take my chances with the lines working together deep and have the d step up when it is open.

Has anyone read Bruce Ciskie's (Duluth Radio) picks for All WCHA?

Homer job if I've ever seen one. From top to bottom, all first team to POY.

No Gregoire or Dell period and Mike Connolly as player of the year?

I like listening to Ciskie on the radio, and his blog is pretty interesting, but absolutely agree. Thats 100% picking with your heart. Then again, the Denver guy put Drew Shore as a first team forward. The only one to have him even close to there.

I like listening to Ciskie on the radio, and his blog is pretty interesting, but absolutely agree. Thats 100% picking with your heart. Then again, the Denver guy put Drew Shore as a first team forward. The only one to have him even close to there.

I thought that at first too....but checking his stats 15-19-34 and his plus/minus is 29.He's not a first teamer but ive got him on my second team!

• Upvote 1

I disagree, i would rather have frattin, malone, trupp carry the puck in the zone as they work better together than one of the 3 staying back while genoway is running around. I would take my chances with the lines working together deep and have the d step up when it is open.

CHay is UND's version of Paul Coffee on the 80's Oilers...obviously he isn't Paul Coffee, but he has the green light to take the puck up ice, just like Coffee did. In my perfect defense scenario, I have two pairings that have one stay at home defensive defenseman and one offensive minded puck-mover. My third d-pairing would be two big, physical defensive defensemen. So, I like 4 defensive minded and two offensive minded dmen...We might have something that looks like that next year...I'd love to put Blood and Mac out together every once in a while just to keep our opponents honest...Maybe pair Forbert with Mattson and Simposn with Panzarello and put Blood and Mac together to clean house.