SiouxSports.com Forum

All WCHA

yzerman19

Yeah good point... Dell is so crappy that he has four shutouts this season. Hum, how many does Paterson of the fifth place mediocre no so golden Gophers have? I would say looking at the link provided "0"... Also Dell has the second over all GAA nationally and a 9.19 Sv% as opposed to .921 that isn't much difference.

Dell has had a very good season, I've never said he's crappy. And you're right there isnt any difference between .919 and .921. But doesn't the league only take into acount league games when deciding this? .926 and .912 is a pretty decent gap. SV% is by FAR the best way to rate a goalies performance and in league games Patterson has been better. It's not a knock on Dell, like I said he's been good no question.

What a moron!!! The leading goal scorer and total points scorer is left off the first team and does not make POTY?!

Serious rube.

No kidding. He even said he voted that way because he has a man crush or whatever on Zucker and decided Mike Connolly was player of the year in December. Call me crazy, but I don't think too many others are going to be voting that way. If Frattin is not the POTY it would be a complete travesty IMO.

Dell has had a very good season, I've never said he's crappy. And you're right there isnt any difference between .919 and .921. But doesn't the league only take into acount league games when deciding this? .926 and .912 is a pretty decent gap. SV% is by FAR the best way to rate a goalies performance and in league games Patterson has been better. It's not a knock on Dell, like I said he's been good no question.

I think the only time the league factors in the conference games thing is with the statistical categories like scoring champion and goaltending champing. the all conference teams are more objective because they are voted on by coaches, media, and team captains, so those individuals can look at overall stats as well to formulate an opinion.

Not sure where you're pulling this .926 from...

2 Aaron Dell, So, North Dakota 33 24-6-2 1905:50 62 700 .919 1.9519

28 Kent Patterson, Jr, Minnesota 28 14-7-6 1620:35 67 778 .921 2.4806

Not sure where you're pulling this .926 from...

2 Aaron Dell, So, North Dakota 33 24-6-2 1905:50 62 700 .919 1.9519

28 Kent Patterson, Jr, Minnesota 28 14-7-6 1620:35 67 778 .921 2.4806

He got it from PA saying Patterson is the best goalie in the WCHA a couple weeks ago. If PA says it it's gotta be true. I think we all know the huge problem gopher fans have with keeping in line with reality when making statements.

He can say what ever he wants, the fact remains that Dell is a better goalie than Patterson.

He can say what he wants, and I'm not disagreeing with you in saying that Dell is a better goalie, but you acted like he was making up numbers in regards to the .926 save percentage, and you even wondered where he got it from.

We don't need objectivity, this is a Fighting Sioux hockey board... I am not sure what you want? If you want to talk about the Goofs go to Gopher Puck Live.

Looks like C-Piss is just as delusional as you are. C-Piss still thinks the Golden Rodents are going to the NCAA tourney.

Actually, someone on USCHO board has done the math - if all the higher seeds win for the rest of the season, this is your final PWR

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?92167-Too-early-for-the-PWR-Princeton-and-Brown-say-no!&p=5067396&viewfull=1#post5067396

1 Yale (EC) 27 0.5807

2 Boston Coll (HE)26 0.5825

3 North Dak (WC) 25 0.5880

4 Michigan (CC) 24 0.5636

5 Union (EC) 22 0.5708

6 Miami (CC) 21 0.5555

7 Denver U (WC) 20 0.5557

8 Merrimack (HE) 20 0.5486

9 NE-Omaha (WC) 19 0.5458

10 Notre Dame (CC) 18 0.5538

11 MinnDuluth (WC) 18 0.5528

12 New Hamp (HE) 15 0.5467

13 Dartmouth (EC) 14 0.5356

14 Minnesota (WC) 14 0.5297

15 West Mich (CC) 13 0.5279

---

16 CO College (WC) 13 0.5252

17 Boston U (HE) 12 0.5349

18 RPI (EC) 11 0.5229

And the whole Dell vs Patterson thing is crazy.

It doesn't matter...they're both good goalies. One has better save %, one has better GAA.

Ciskie is crazy though.

Brittain as 1st team goalie...Bakala as 3rd team?

Has he not watched DU's struggles in net during the last month or so?

Check out this Media ballot from someone who voted in the process. [click to view]

I happened to be in Duluth this weekend and caught part of the UMD-UNO radio broadcast, including an interview Ciskie did with Jess Myers, I believe. Unlike some Sioux fans, I actually like Myers. They were talking about player of the year voting and the like, and both said they were voting for M. Connolly for POY. Ciskie's reasoning should be obvious, but Myers said that he voted for M.C. over Frattin for a bit of a strange reason. If I understood him correctly, he said that if you look at UND, and how they have done with "two of the best players at their positions" out of the line-up for a big part of the second half, it just shows how incredibly deep and talented the UND team is, and therefor M.C. is more responsible for his team's success than Frattin.

Seems to me you could also argue the opposite, that Frattin has basically carried this team since Chay and Danny went out with injuries.

In any event, each are entitled to their opinions, and their votes, and Mike C. could certainly win POY.

But Ciskie is crazy (which he is) if he thinks Frattin doesn't make 1st team all conf and Dell doesn't make 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben Blood make at least 3rd team defense.

90% of ciskies ballot is ok, but he's obviously got a boner for und, because theres no way frattins not a first teamer and the poty, and theres no way gregoire doesn't make any of the teams (really??), and no way dell doesn't make any of the teams... but hey, little sisters always jealous :D haters gonna hate... just sad he actually gets a vote that counts.

The question about Ciskie...is he a homer? He says it himself.

It is humorous to me how many UMD players are on his All-WCHA ballot:

1st place UND has 2 players on his entire ballot (not including Rookie).

2nd place DU has 4 players.

3rd place UNO has 1 player.

4th place UMD has 4 players and the POTY.

Homer much, Bruce? :)

The funny thing about MConnolly over Frattin is that Frattin has 3 more goals and 3 more assists in league play, and he wasn't out on the ice every other shift like the Connolly line was for UMD. If UMD was more than a 1.5-line team, Connolly would be even further down that list.

Schlossman and Hajdu make good points via Twitter: whether or not you agree with a certain voter's ballot (in this case Ciskie), you have to give them props for posting it for all to read (and rip). Having said that, Ciskie seems to have his UMD googles on when making his selections. To each their own, gotta love democracy.

Schlossman and Hajdu make good points via Twitter: whether or not you agree with a certain voter's ballot (in this case Ciskie), you have to give them props for posting it for all to read (and rip). Having said that, Ciskie seems to have his UMD googles on when making his selections. To each their own, gotta love democracy.

To clarify any confusion, I think most of his selections are crazy

I agree 100% with Brad. I respect the fact Bruce put it out there. Also, by and large I don't think his ballot is completely out of line. It's not how I would have listed them, and not how I think it will end up, but there are only a couple of instances where I think most people would agree he went a bit off track (I listed them in my previous post.)

By the way, I would kill to have his list come out as the final awards. Leave Blood, Gregoire and Dell off the lists completely. Throw Fratts down on the second team. Mail us the Broadmoor. Somebody would pay. :D

I happened to be in Duluth this weekend and caught part of the UMD-UNO radio broadcast, including an interview Ciskie did with Jess Myers, I believe. Unlike some Sioux fans, I actually like Myers. They were talking about player of the year voting and the like, and both said they were voting for M. Connolly for POY. Ciskie's reasoning should be obvious, but Myers said that he voted for M.C. over Frattin for a bit of a strange reason. If I understood him correctly, he said that if you look at UND, and how they have done with "two of the best players at their positions" out of the line-up for a big part of the second half, it just shows how incredibly deep and talented the UND team is, and therefor M.C. is more responsible for his team's success than Frattin.

This brings up a critical point in defining "Player of the Year": is the award presented to the best player in the conference, or to the most valuable player to his team?

That is quite often two very different players.

I think this year's UND MVP might very well be Aaron Dell. Based on the struggles the incumbent, all-WCHA goalie had in the early part of the season, do you really think the Sioux would be clearing a spot on their trophy shelf for the McNaughton Cup without the play of the "back-up" goaltender? By that measure alone, Dell is more valuable to this team than is Frattin.

And by making that statement, I by no means am insulting or demeaning the contribution Matt has had on this team.

Now, to talk about the best player on the ice, I think Frattin is very deserving of such an award.

He got it from PA saying Patterson is the best goalie in the WCHA a couple weeks ago. If PA says it it's gotta be true. I think we all know the huge problem gopher fans have with keeping in line with reality when making statements.

What is a PA?

Check out this Media ballot from someone who voted in the process. [click to view]

Didn't have to look any further than the first set of forwards to disregard any credibility on these picks, you can be a homer broadcasting your teams games or writing about them in an article or blog but there should be a moral line drawn when you are given the privilege of voting for the men deserving to represent your league as All Conference players.