SiouxSports.com Forum

All WCHA

yzerman19

I dont need a lovefest for my teams goalie. Just a little objectivity. 7th in SV% does not warrant first team.

Well don't come on here and tell people what to think. Everyone on here is entitled to their own opinion. Some do feel Patterson is a first team goalie, others feel Dell is. So I wouldn't go around saying we're not objective. Maybe Patterson's league leading save percentage or whatever should have led his team to more wins....this argument can go both ways...

Well don't come on here and tell people what to think. Everyone on here is entitled to their own opinion. Some do feel Patterson is a first team goalie, others feel Dell is. So I wouldn't go around saying we're not objective. Maybe Patterson's league leading save percentage or whatever should have led his team to more wins....this argument can go both ways...

Im not telling people what to think. I gave my opinion about the first team goalie. Dell has had a fine season.

I put Dell on the first team and Patterson on the second team. I recognize that Patterson is the Gophers' MVP and that he had an outstanding year leading the conference in save %.

My criteria is Wins, GAA, sv%, and Shutouts with the tie breaker being team success.

Dell wins the comparison against Patterson in 4 of those 5 criteria. They both deserve to be all conference, and they will be. I don't know how you put the goalie on the 5th place team over the goalie on the conference champion all else being considered. I think Patterson is a great goalie, but you don't make the first team on save % alone.

I put Dell on the first team and Patterson on the second team. I recognize that Patterson is the Gophers' MVP and that he had an outstanding year leading the conference in save %.

My criteria is Wins, GAA, sv%, and Shutouts with the tie breaker being team success.

Dell wins the comparison against Patterson in 4 of those 5 criteria. They both deserve to be all conference, and they will be. I don't know how you put the goalie on the 5th place team over the goalie on the conference champion all else being considered. I think Patterson is a great goalie, but you don't make the first team on save % alone.

I agree with everything you said. Well put

So Dell makes 9.1 saves out of ten shots, and Patterson makes 9.26 saves out of ten. That doesn't seem like a whole lot, and could be explained in a lot of ways. The Sioux tend not to give up a lot of shots period, so Dell doesn't always see the inordinate amount of easy saves, but then again, he doesn't get hung out to dry like Patterson either. Goals against average is important too. What are their league stats for that? If Patterson makes .1 more saves out of ten and gives up .whatever more goals per game, what is more important. Something the voters will have to figure out.

Wins is a team stat. Isn't Adam Hauser the all time wins leader in league history? Thats all I need to know about that stat.

Wins is a team stat. Isn't Adam Hauser the all time wins leader in league history? Thats all I need to know about that stat.

And the play of the goalie helps the TEAM W IN. I don't know why you came here besides to argue with those who don't share your opinion.

For crying out loud.... I haven't been this annoyed in like...3 hours. Clearly it's Monday.

Thats a good point on Hauser. But you are strengthening my argument. Clearly you don't think Hauser was 1st team material, right? Well Hauser's GAA his last season at UMTC was 2.40. Thats not too far north of Patterson's 2.31. And since you don't think Dell's SV% is worthy of 1st-Team honors; you can't think Patterson's GAA of 2.31 is worthy?

First Team:

Frattin, M. Connolly, Gregoire, Shultz, Faulk and Dell

Second Team:

J. Connolly, Zucker, Shore, Genoway, Olimb and Patterson

Third Team:

Knight, Fontaine, Schwartz (wanted to put Abroz in, but schwartz deserves it even in limited action), Donovan, Marto and Brittian

POTY: Frattin hands down

Rookie: would have been schwartz' hands down had he been healthy, but goes to zucker

Coach: Hak... our two best players were out for significant time, we plugged holes and kept trucking, and our two time all conference goalie was replaced and we still managed to win the league by 6!

None of you brainiacs have MacWilliam in for this? He is by far our best defenseman and will be the greatest flight risk aside from Gregoire. Andy Mac just kills people on the ice and is the most solid defenseman we have. Period! Can't think of anyone in the league I would rather have on the blueline! Nothing against Chay but he is a 3rd teamer for this award, IMO. Blood is very deserving of a 2nd team vote. Of course, people will vote on offensive stats for the most part and Chay will make 1st team by reputation and offensive production.

None of you brainiacs have MacWilliam in for this? He is by far our best defenseman and will be the greatest flight risk aside from Gregoire. Andy Mac just kills people on the ice and is the most solid defenseman we have. Period! Can't think of anyone in the league I would rather have on the blueline! Nothing against Chay but he is a 3rd teamer for this award, IMO. Blood is very deserving of a 2nd team vote. Of course, people will vote on offensive stats for the most part and Chay will make 1st team by reputation and offensive production.

I whole-heartedly agree. MacWilliam and Blood are our 2 best Defensemen IMO. And then Marto and LaPoint. Nothing against Genoway, but he might be our 4th-5th defenseman this year. That says a lot to me about how good our D really is.

macs a beast. smashing players out there like good ol matt greene every shift. i wonder what goes through some forwards heads when they are thinking on trying to slip past him on the far boards..no chance. shut down defender whos always in front of dell like a prison gaurd after every whistle. he and blood have been the glue to this D

Agreed that Mac is one of our best defensemen, but 0-6-6 is not All-WCHA material. Don't get me wrong, I love having him on our team; he is a beast. Greatest flight risk aside from Gregoire though? Hardly.

I whole-heartedly agree. MacWilliam and Blood are our 2 best Defensemen IMO. And then Marto and LaPoint. Nothing against Genoway, but he might be our 4th-5th defenseman this year. That says a lot to me about how good our D really is.

Yep. Except I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that Lapointe is as good as Chay. Marto and Genoway are both offensive defensemen, but Genoway takes more risks. Unfortunately that has cost us a few games this year.

Here is how I rate our defenseman this year.

1. MacWilliam - Most intimaditing and solid defenseman on the roster. Top flight risk aside from Gregoire.

2. Blood - Makes the big hits and solid in the defensive zone. His +/- is amazing this year. His big screen appearrance during the games are always hilarious!

3. Marto - Very versatile as by playing forward for part of the season. The team is much better with him at the blue-line. Has amazing speed for a defenseman.

4. Genoway - Great playmaker and leader for the team. Downside is that he tries to do to much at times and that has cost us.

5. Lapointe - Quietly having another solid year. Isn't that flashy but gets the job done in both zones.

6. Forbort - Having a great freshman season. Has adjusted to the speed of the game well. Has good offensive and defensive zone strengths. Will be a great player for the future.

7. Simpson - Just turned 18 and is playing at a high level. He sees the ice very well and passes well.

8. Gleason - Played very well as a freshman last year and has done a nice job this year with the limited playing time. Will be a starter next year and will be much better with the additional playing time.

Damn we are deep at defense!!!!

I like when those arguments come from fans of teams he has shut out. :silly:

Yeah good point... Dell is so crappy that he has four shutouts this season. Hum, how many does Paterson of the fifth place mediocre no so golden Gophers have? I would say looking at the link provided "0"... Also Dell has the second over all GAA nationally and a 9.19 Sv% as opposed to .921 that isn't much difference.

• Downvote 1

Yep. Except I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that Lapointe is as good as Chay. Marto and Genoway are both offensive defensemen, but Genoway takes more risks. Unfortunately that has cost us a few games this year.

Here is how I rate our defenseman this year.

1. MacWilliam - Most intimaditing and solid defenseman on the roster. Top flight risk aside from Gregoire.

2. Blood - Makes the big hits and solid in the defensive zone. His +/- is amazing this year. His big screen appearrance during the games are always hilarious!

3. Marto - Very versatile as by playing forward for part of the season. The team is much better with him at the blue-line. Has amazing speed for a defenseman.

4. Genoway - Great playmaker and leader for the team. Downside is that he tries to do to much at times and that has cost us.

5. Lapointe - Quietly having another solid year. Isn't that flashy but gets the job done in both zones.

6. Forbort - Having a great freshman season. Has adjusted to the speed of the game well. Has good offensive and defensive zone strengths. Will be a great player for the future.

7. Simpson - Just turned 18 and is playing at a high level. He sees the ice very well and passes well.

8. Gleason - Played very well as a freshman last year and has done a nice job this year with the limited playing time. Will be a starter next year and will be much better with the additional playing time.

Damn we are deep at defense!!!!

I think trying to compare different kinds of defensemen and say who is our best is a very difficult thing to do. Each has a place, but I don't think one is more significant than the other. Would the Sioux powerplay be as good with MacWilliam manning the point -- probably not. Will the Sioux penalty kill be as effective without MacWilliam clearing out bodies so Dell can see the puck -- probably not. MacWilliam started out slow, kind of like he did his freshman year, but once again in the second half he is playing very well.

I dont need a lovefest for my teams goalie. Just a little objectivity. 7th in SV% does not warrant first team.

We don't need objectivity, this is a Fighting Sioux hockey board... I am not sure what you want? If you want to talk about the Goofs go to Gopher Puck Live.

Looks like C-Piss is just as delusional as you are. C-Piss still thinks the Golden Rodents are going to the NCAA tourney.

I would like to see his numbers late November or so onward. He was a little shaky in the beginning, giving up some softer goals. But, since then, he has played pretty darn awesome.