SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology 2011

gfhomer

I didn't have a problem with moy's first bracket and 3 wcha teams in it-what I don't like is the prospect of having to face BU in the first round.

You have to remember that Maine and Dartmouth are currently tied with BU for the 15th spot.

How would you feel if we had to play Maine in the frst round of the playoffs which could easily happen?

You have to remember that Maine and Dartmouth are currently tied with BU for the 15th spot.

How would you feel if we had to play Maine in the frst round of the playoffs which could easily happen?

Nervous. But the Sioux are going to have to play their best hockey at the end of the year...there are no Michigan Tech's once the big dance starts...(Yeah, I know...this isn't exactly earthshattering news) :)

Wouldn't be ideal, Maine has played well lately, I think they have only given up 1 or 2 goals the last 4 games combined, and 2 of those were against Merrimack who is pretty decent.

Alot of people (myself included) think that the committee will try to get North Dakota in St. Louis. Does the fact that the CCHA is the host of that regional add any weight to a CCHA team (like Michigan) getting sent there instead?

I hope not. I live in St Louis, and I am desperately hoping that they get seeded here. From the committee's standpoint they have to know that North Dakota fans are going to travel well wherever they are placed, and should use that fact in order to balance the attendance between Green Bay and St Louis. Putting Michigan, which is actually closer to Green Bay than St Louis, and Duluth in the Green bay regional should accomplish that.

If Michigan stays a #1 seed along with UND, UND will be in St. Louis IMO. You have 2 east schools in Yale and BC to cover eastern regionals.

The selection committee isn't going to have the Scottrade Center sit 90% empty based on Moy's current West regional speculation. UND is their only hope to put a decent crowd/attendance in St. Louis.

If Michigan stays a #1 seed along with UND, UND will be in St. Louis IMO. You have 2 east schools in Yale and BC to cover eastern regionals.

The selection committee isn't going to have the Scottrade Center sit 90% empty based on Moy's current West regional speculation. UND is their only hope to put a decent crowd/attendance in St. Louis.

I agree; Moy can put all of the Bracketologies out that he wants but the brackets will changes 15 times between now and selection Sunday...

As of right now (no adjustments)-

Bridgeport:

Yale vs Atlantic Hockey

Merrimack vs Miami

Manchester:

BC vs Western Michigan

UNO vs Notre Dame

Green Bay:

UND vs Rensselaer

Union vs UMD

St Louis:

Michigan vs Dartmouth

DU vs New Hampshire

Only problem is NH is a host in Manchester, so switch Notre Dame and New Hampshire

Bridgeport:

Yale vs Atlantic Hockey

Merrimack vs Miami

Manchester:

BC vs Western MI

UNO vs NH

Green Bay:

UND vs Rensselaer

Union vs UMD

St Louis:

MI vs Dartmouth

DU vs Notre Dame

I think this is solid for attendance, avoids first round matchups, etc...only beef might be that the Regional finals might have a bunch of intra-conference rivalry games...

As of right now (no adjustments)-

Bridgeport:

Yale vs Atlantic Hockey

Merrimack vs Miami

Manchester:

BC vs Western Michigan

UNO vs Notre Dame

Green Bay:

UND vs Rensselaer

Union vs UMD

St Louis:

Michigan vs Dartmouth

DU vs New Hampshire

Only problem is NH is a host in Manchester, so switch Notre Dame and New Hampshire

Bridgeport:

Yale vs Atlantic Hockey

Merrimack vs Miami

Manchester:

BC vs Western MI

UNO vs NH

Green Bay:

UND vs Rensselaer

Union vs UMD

St Louis:

MI vs Dartmouth

DU vs Notre Dame

I think this is solid for attendance, avoids first round matchups, etc...only beef might be that the Regional finals might have a bunch of intra-conference rivalry games...

I'd take that!

I'd take that!

My only issue is that the current pwr would have (assuming the favorites advance) UND vs BC in the semi-final...These are the two best teams in the country IMO, so it would be too bad to not have them face-off for the big prize.

I think that they re-seed the Frozen Four, so let's hope that someone knocks Yale out

I think that they re-seed the Frozen Four, so let's hope that someone knocks Yale out

Actually they do not re-seed the Frozen Four. The brackets for the NCAA tournament are set up to assume that all #1 seeds advance to the Frozen Four, where #1 would face #4 and #2 would face #3.

My only issue is that the current pwr would have (assuming the favorites advance) UND vs BC in the semi-final...These are the two best teams in the country IMO, so it would be too bad to not have them face-off for the big prize.

They don't reseed the frozen four if I recall and currently BC is 2 and we are 3 so semi-finals it is.

Here's my current brackets:

Bridgeport (East)

Yale vs. RIT

Merrimack vs. Miami

Manchester (Northeast)

BC vs. Dartmouth

UNO vs. UNH

Green Bay (Midwest)

North Dakota vs. Western Michigan

Union vs. Duluth

St. Louis (West)

Michigan vs. Colorado College

Denver vs. Notre Dame

I originally had Dartmouth in the West and CC in the Northeast, but you could justify switching them for attendance purposes, while giving BC the advantage of playing an ECAC school rather than somebody from the WCHA.

Here's my current brackets:

Bridgeport (East)

Yale vs. RIT

Merrimack vs. Miami

Manchester (Northeast)

BC vs. Dartmouth

UNO vs. UNH

Green Bay (Midwest)

North Dakota vs. Western Michigan

Union vs. Duluth

St. Louis (West)

Michigan vs. Colorado College

Denver vs. Notre Dame

I originally had Dartmouth in the West and CC in the Northeast, but you could justify switching them for attendance purposes, while giving BC the advantage of playing an ECAC school rather than somebody from the WCHA.

It's crazy around that bubble...yesterday RPI is in, they lose on Sunday and now CC is in...crazy

It's crazy around that bubble...yesterday RPI is in, they lose on Sunday and now CC is in...crazy

Anyone know what it would take to drop to number 4? Wouldnt mind doind that to avoid BC!! Sorry but I dont like them come Frozen Four time!

Anyone know what it would take to drop to number 4? Wouldnt mind doind that to avoid BC!! Sorry but I dont like them come Frozen Four time!

I think we're pretty locked into the number 3 spot. however, I think the only way we would drop to four would be with some combination of us not making the final five and michigan winning the ccha tournament.

I know everyone thinks if UND finishes ahead of Michigan UND will go to Green Bay.

At risk of repeating myself ...

The NCAA, which is all about student-athletes and never money, will put Michigan in Green Bay and UND in St. Louis because:

- they know UND fans will travel to either, and

- Michigan fans can't find, much less attend, anything outside of the Big Ten footprint.

That's my prediction.

I know everyone thinks if UND finishes ahead of Michigan UND will go to Green Bay.

At risk of repeating myself ...

That's my prediction.

I'm with you. I'd say if UND and Michigan, or any other "west" school, are both #1 seeds at selection time, there is IMO zero chance UND goes to GB. The NC$$ is all about the Benjamins and Sioux fans will fill the Scottrade Arena better than any other team.

I would assume that if they decide to put UND in St Louis, they will simply move the entire bracket there...not swap any other parts of it.

Probably correct there.

Michigan and Notre Dame would be good draws in GB. DU and CC won't get anyone to follow them regardless so I could see the entire brackets flip flopped.

I tend to agree about placing UND in St. Louis, but I also feel there's a chance we go to Green Bay if we get paired up in a regional with Duluth, and there is a decent attendance outlook in St. Louis. In the brackets I posted, I think Michigan and Notre Dame would do OK in St. Louis.

my opinion is that all conferences should have the best possible chance to send as many teams to the frozen four as possible. this opinion is based on the fact that the frozen four is supposed to be comprised of the best d1 college hockey teams in the nation so it doesn't make sense to put teams from the same conference in the same regional whenever there's another option.

by allowing multiple teams from one conference to be in one regional while other regionals have no teams from that conference, the tournament essentially allows teams from better conferences to knock each other off before the frozen four, which is counter to the idea of the frozen four as mentioned above.

if more than four teams from one conference make the ncaa tournament then obviously there would have to be at least one regional with two teams from the same conference. in this scenario, whenever possible, the two teams from the same conference in one regional should be seeded as low as possible to protect the better teams from that conference.

if this rule were implemented (and i realize the ncaa won't implement this but just humor me here) this is how it might play out based on the current pairwise:

east regional:

(1) yale vs (16) rit

(7) nebraska-omaha vs (9) miami

west regional

(4) michigan vs (15) colorado college

(8) merrimack vs (11) minnesota-duluth

midwest regional

(3) north dakota vs (14) western michigan

(6) union vs (12) new hampshire

northeast regional:

(2) boston college vs (13) dartmouth

(5) denver vs (10) notre dame

this way:

the three hea teams are in three different regionals

the three ecac teams are in three different regionals

the four ccha teams are in four different regionals

the five wcha teams are in four different regionals with the lowest two seeded wcha teams in the same regional

the one aha team is in one regional

the idea here being that if one conference is better than rankings might suggest, then the teams from that conference have an opportunity to prove that by beating teams from all the other conferences rather than by beating themselves.