SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

You could say the same thing about any player. As far as Muss's recruiting I think the all GWC team says it all.

Nice comeback Danno. There is a common theme with all those players on that team, great players who had great success 4 years in the conference. UND probably didn't have any of those players but some of the kids on our roster now will have just as successful careers by the time they are done at UND. How about the number of Great West championships each team won?

The kid could probably dress for the Bison tomorrow afternoon with all the injuries. The coaches are obviously confident they can pull it out of him. At this level being cocky and going through the motions don't get you very far no matter what program we are talking about.

One WR hurt?

He did not tell Mussman he was going to NDSU. UND did not offer. Kid is a great athlete and has potential. He was not the highest rated receiver on UND's list. They saw him as a kid worth a partial. NDSU probably had a bigger need at reciever and according to the kid they offered a full ride. Don't need to say anything bad about the kid. Watch his film and talk to his coach then decide if how he fits into your plans. He fits in nicely at the AC. Good luck to him.

Were you in his house when Mussman visited with him? I even read in the Fargo Forum that he was already leaning towards NDSU before he stated that UND was coming to visit that same week. Do you think maybe it wasn't going to happen so the offer wasn't extended?

Were you in his house when Mussman visited with him? I even read in the Fargo Forum that he was already leaning towards NDSU before he stated that UND was coming to visit that same week. Do you think maybe it wasn't going to happen so the offer wasn't extended?

None of us probably knows the whole story. It does appear that UND has extended offers to at least eight receivers from the class of 2012, and most, if not all, were extended many months ago. Woods was apparently not one of them. Now granted, maybe Woods blew up so much this year that he's risen above some of the receivers already offered. Or maybe not. We'll see in four or five years. I like UND's existing receiving corps, and I like the recruiting class UND has put together so far. I'm sure NDSU fans feel the same about their class.

Ya, that was me sitting right next to you when you delivered the Pizza and sat down to use both hands so you could figure out the change. I would guess that is when you heard him tell the UND coaches he was going to the AC. Fact is UND didn't offer him.

• Upvote 1

I read from the Fargo Forum that Molberg and a RB from Wisconsin committed to ndsu, neither ever happened. Not a good reference.

None of us probably knows the whole story. It does appear that UND has extended offers to at least eight receivers from the class of 2012, and most, if not all, were extended many months ago. Woods was apparently not one of them. Now granted, maybe Woods blew up so much this year that he's risen above some of the receivers already offered. Or maybe not. We'll see in four or five years. I like UND's existing receiving corps, and I like the recruiting class UND has put together so far. I'm sure NDSU fans feel the same about their class.

Sources I've talked to said that NDSU didn't offer until a few weeks ago because he was having such a good Sr. year it was looking as though he was going to be a gopher at least as a preferred walk-on. Things didn't shake out that way and the FCS schools started talking. NDSU extended a full offer about a week before UND went to visit. DeSean Warren from Kansas was already on the verbal list and this years class will be a smaller one for NDSU. You are correct when you say both sides are happy this year with thier recruits.

Ya, that was me sitting right next to you when you delivered the Pizza and sat down to use both hands so you could figure out the change. I would guess that is when you heard him tell the UND coaches he was going to the AC. Fact is UND didn't offer him.

The fact is UND didn't offer. The fact is you have no idea what was said in that living room. Are you a booster? If so how are so connected to these recruits?

The fact is UND didn't offer. The fact is you have no idea what was said in that living room. Are you a booster? If so how are so connected to these recruits?

you don't know either yet you and all your buddies like to keep coming on this board come recruiting season and tell everyone how it went down. Fact, he had two offers, ndsu and Moorhead, not sure what FCS schools you are talking about. Good job, you stole a recruit from Moorhead.

• Upvote 1

I read from the Fargo Forum that Molberg and a RB from Wisconsin committed to ndsu, neither ever happened. Not a good reference.

Woods was quoted as saying just that in the article. Marcus Horne's HC told the forum staff that he had. Only thing I remember about Mollberg was that if Iowa didn't offer then NDSU is on the list.

you don't know either yet you and all your buddies like to keep coming on this board come recruiting season and tell everyone how it went down. Fact, he had two offers, ndsu and Moorhead, not sure what FCS schools you are talking about. Good job, you stole a recruit from Moorhead.

I wasn't the one who was stating as a fact as to what Woods said during Mussman's visit. Two FCS schools were listed as having interest which were UND and NDSU. Those are the FCS schools I am talking about.

I have never met the kid and I don't talk to UND recruits unless I have a previous relationship and even then don't get involved in recruiting. UND does not want Alumni nor boosters talking to their recruits and send us a list of the NCAA rules so we abide by them. If a kid asks us questions we can answer them, but the recruiting is done by UND coaches, not boosters. Doesn't mean no one else has an idea about whether or not UND offered the kid.

I am sure I am mistaken and UND made the visit to hear the kid tell them he was going elsewhere. If they didn't offer that would seal the deal if he had wanted to go to the AC so UND gets an assist.

Woods was quoted as saying just that in the article. Marcus Horne's HC told the forum staff that he had. Only thing I remember about Mollberg was that if Iowa didn't offer then NDSU is on the list.

Paper from his home town had an article that said ndsu offered a full ride and he was waiting for a visit from UND to see what they were going to do. ndsu was the front runner at that time before he had even spoken to UND. You can tell the story however you want but UND never offered the kid. I'll take it as what I have heard and they had WR higher on the list. Not a knock on either the school or the kid but its how coaches evaluate talent. In a few years we'll see who was right.

Paper from his home town had an article that said ndsu offered a full ride and he was waiting for a visit from UND to see what they were going to do. ndsu was the front runner at that time before he had even spoken to UND. You can tell the story however you want but UND never offered the kid. I'll take it as what I have heard and they had WR higher on the list. Not a knock on either the school or the kid but its how coaches evaluate talent. In a few years we'll see who was right.
My money is on door #3...both schools sign good WRs they are happy with.

Something has been bugging me about GFH football coverage. If one looks over to inforum.com right now, news of the Bemidji receiver commit is front page news, huge picture and story on the rotating web top section.

Is this kid really a huge get? I dont know, but to the Forum's credit and NDSU's its covered as though it is. There have been stories written by Kolpack and co about every verbal so far this year.

At the Herald? Crickets. Schlossman does a tremendous job with hockey. If there was 1/3 of that type of reporting effort dedicated to football, recruiting etc it would be very big for the program. We on here know of 6 or so verbals for UND thus far. Has the Herald reported on any of the kids not hailing from Detroit Lakes? Hell, the hard part is done for them. How long does it take to go on Sioux Football Insider or SiouxSports Wiki then figure out a way to contact a kid or a kids coach and do a short story?

Maybe I'm just missing the stories. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

I couldn't agree more. I have thought one of the major differences between NDSU and UND football the past few seasons has been the coverage of the two programs. Associated with media converge is the game day atmosphere-enhancing techniques put out by UND itself. The game atmosphere at NDSU games is far better than UNDs currently and that should be attributed to the respective school's marketing and athletic departments. As a UND fan, I understand how easy it is to disregard something that initially seems minuscule; however, the fact of the matter is that recruiting is the lifeline of the program, and recruits are attracted to loud, enthusiastic crowds on game day along with great marketing techniques both on game day and around it. The Herald does little to provoke excitement for the football team and it shows on game day. I don't think anyone can properly explain a horrible crowd at unquestionably the biggest game in the Alerus during the transition (South Dakota - Great West Championship). For those that offer the excuse it was deer hunting season, then I present this year’s big Cal Poly game which resulted in a mediocre crowd at best. As far as students go, they wouldn't leave if it wasn't so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I hope there is large-scale excitement next year during the inaugural Big Sky season; however, if the South Dakota game, current media coverage, and recent game day atmospheres are any indication; we have a long way to go. Also, I agree to a point that there is no reason to continually include NDSU in certain UND-based football discussions since we are moving on to the Big Sky; nonetheless, they will be competing with us for recruits from this point forward, and we will need to continue to win those battles if we are to be competitive in our new "NDSU-free" conference. Bottom-line: Improve media coverage and game day atmospheres via various techniques; it's much needed.

• Upvote 1

my people on the res over near bemidji said Carey Woods told und he was going to NDSU. he allowed und a courtesy visit because he was thinking he could play both sports at und. Sorry, im sure he's watched the ndsu playoff run and said wow. as for junior's demeanor, he wants to win at all costs, he will get that at ndsu

I'm not arguing whether UND offered or not. NDSU already had DeSean Warren on the verbal list well before the Woods offer came. NDSU has a small class this year and with one scholarship already filled by a WR he must have turned enough heads to get NDSU to extend another full offer for the WR position. The article I was talking about had Woods quoted as saying he was leaning towards NDSU. It then stated that UND was going to visit later that week. At that point UND hadn't extended an offer but it was obivious they were interested enough to take the time to drive to his house and talk to him. Nobody knows what was said inside that house. That was my point.

According to SFI, a WR has committed to UND. They are supposed to be releasing a blog on SFI shortly about the commitment. Also, the DL E.J. Welch looks like a really good get. He is both athletic and big, and since UND is only losing 1 of the 3 DL starters (B.Belmore), the DL looks to be in great shape! Don't forget about the DL Jean-Charles from NDSCS too.