SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

He actually wasn’t a major prospect when he was being recruited. He’s a late bloomer that only started playing hockey seriously a few years ago. No one had heard of him when he committed. I vividly remember the reaction on this board :lol:

Kinda sorta similar to Caggiula in that both got very little recruiting interest? Man, I wonder what it was at the time before Pinto blossomed that Berry & Co. saw in him that everyone else missed? Hopefully our gain and everyone else’s loss! 

5 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Kinda sorta similar to Caggiula in that both got very little recruiting interest? Man, I wonder what it was at the time before Pinto blossomed that Berry & Co. saw in him that everyone else missed? Hopefully our gain and everyone else’s loss! 

If I recall he turned some heads at a showcase event out east that UND (and other schools) were scouting so I wouldn’t say he had little interest, but just came seemingly out of nowhere. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

I wonder sometimes if some of these kids are so miserable with the academic part of school, that they are happier plodding along in the "A" or even the "E".  Not saying that's the case with Kiersted at all, more of a general comment.   

Maybe, but I honestly think it's all a part of their development.  I think most kids are just in too big of a hurry.

I should have expanded on my original post.  If Kiersted has a great (but not absolutely dominating) year and he also graduates this Spring....that's a different story.  Go to the A and continue to climb that ladder I guess.  I just have read about some of the higher end potential UFA college guys and he's not listed (other than discussed by Schloss).  Only time will tell I guess.

• Upvote 1

Went to the Force game. Randklev was not noticeable. But neither was Tristan Broz (MN) although a little better skater.

Western Michigan recruit Cedric Fiedler (Force #5) was the dude. Strong, smart and physical. Could get under your skin. Kind of like AJ Pierzynski: when he’s on your team, you hate him a little less

24 minutes ago, Tbone said:

Went to the Force game. Randklev was not noticeable. But neither was Tristan Broz (MN) although a little better skater.

Western Michigan recruit Cedric Fiedler (Force #5) was the dude. Strong, smart and physical. Could get under your skin. Kind of like AJ Pierzynski: when he’s on your team, you hate him a little less

It was Carter's first game in ten months coming off an ACL tear. I hope his comeback goes well.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw defensive recruit Luke Reid (Chicago Steel) against the Force last night. Still a young player. Played well in a fast paced physical game. Good skater. Seemed to transition well with the puck.

Former GF Red River player Mason Salquist got some playing time for Fargo.

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

32 points in 54 NAHL games as an 18 year old? seems like a curious offer, but who knows. 

Go to page 199 of this thread and read about another recruit that didn’t put up huge points.  I thought that guy was going to be a role player.  Not that you don’t need role players, but we tend to pigeon hole players based on their stats.  Players develop at different paces.  Great role players are essential for great teams. You are exactly right, you never know!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNDhoops said:

32 points in 54 NAHL games as an 18 year old? seems like a curious offer, but who knows. 

what’s he doing this year so far?  Players will develop over time.  Obviously you need to trend players, but he appears to be heading in the right direction. Nothing more than a depth add.  Could play 1-2 more years of juniors and be really nice piece to the puzzle.

19 hours ago, tnt said:

Go to page 199 of this thread and read about another recruit that didn’t put up huge points.  I thought that guy was going to be a role player.  Not that you don’t need role players, but we tend to pigeon hole players based on their stats.  Players develop at different paces.  Great role players are essential for great teams. You are exactly right, you never know!

Hahaha just went back there. That was FANTASTIC. None of us had any clue. Sometimes our coaches just know what they're doing, eh? :)

I’ve been watching Portz play since he was 8 years old. VERY nice young man here in SC. His youth coach was a colleague of mine and I was team photographer for many seasons.Great character and a respectful young man. Very excited we landed him.

• Upvote 1