SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Jack Rowe stays even with 2 pims for Muskegon.

Trevor Olson gets a goal and assist as Sioux City win. He was +2 with 3 shots and 2 pims.

Hayden Shaw was -2 with 3 shots and Cam Johnson was benched in the loss.

Shane Gersich gets a goal and assist for Team USA. That put him at a +2 and scored on his only sog.

John Simonson gets a goal on 4 shots and gets an even rating.

Ryan Mantha stays even with a shot and 2 pims in the win.

Nick Schmaltz gets a goal on 3 shots and stays even in the loss.

Through two Charlie Pelnik is even.

Jack Rowe stays even with 2 pims for Muskegon.

Trevor Olson gets a goal and assist as Sioux City win. He was +2 with 3 shots and 2 pims.

Hayden Shaw was -2 with 3 shots and Cam Johnson was benched in the loss.

Shane Gersich gets a goal and assist for Team USA. That put him at a +2 and scored on his only sog.

John Simonson gets a goal on 4 shots and gets an even rating.

Ryan Mantha stays even with a shot and 2 pims in the win.

Nick Schmaltz gets a goal on 3 shots and stays even in the loss.

Through two Charlie Pelnik is even.

So I am really looking forward to this kid coming in next fall...

I think he's really underrated among our recruits.

Missing all those games and seeing that he has 17 points in 13 games with a +10 rating in those. I think if he plays all of them he is one of the top point getters in the USHL.

... and hopefully fills a need for us as a power forward with some scoring touch that we haven't had in spades since Miller and Matteau bolted. Add Poganski in a few years, and we should have a pretty balanced attack again.

If you've ever seen him play, he wouldn't be underrated. UND made a fantastic addition when Olson committed. He will be a difference maker next season, despite the fact that we only lose a couple of guys up front.

If you've ever seen him play, he wouldn't be underrated. UND made a fantastic addition when Olson committed. He will be a difference maker next season, despite the fact that we only lose a couple of guys up front.

Oh I've seen him play, but it was in high school. He just hasn't gotten as much hype as some of the other recruits we have. I was excited when he committed.

Oh I've seen him play, but it was in high school. He just hasn't gotten as much hype as some of the other recruits we have. I was excited when he committed.

I watched him in a state tournament or two and could never figure out why he wasn't getting more hype and attention. Most people were too focused on Randolph during that time.

THey say sorry- it happened to old Holy Angels star...can't remember his name, but he ended up at Bemidji

Danny Mattson...saw him play his last high school game against Edina...Edina basically pulled the triple-team effort out of basketball and absolutely blanketed him...and he STILL created some great scoring chances. I thought for-sure Mattson was destined for stardom at North Dakota after seeing that game.

Gotchya. Wasn't trying to be snarky, BTW, though it may have come across that way! :)

As I understand the USHL rules, being he is undrafted/not on any team's protected/affiliate list he is unable to be picked up by any USHL teams for the remainder of the season. He will most assuredly be drafted in the USHL Phase II Draft this May though.

Yon is, however, on the Protected list of the NAHL's Bismarck Bobcats (as is his Roseau HS teammate Alex Strand), so he could still see action in juniors this year. ND high school standouts Jared Spooner (Bismarck) and Harrison Aide (Bottineau) have already seen some ice time with Bismarck since the ND HS season concluded.

Yon was in the lineup for Bismarck last night. Couple of SOG, no points, no PIM, even.

Jack Rowe is even with 4 shots in the win.

Cam Johnson backstops a 7 to 3 win over a very good team. Made 41 saves on 44 shots. Hayden Shaw is held pointless but a +2 with 1 shot and 5 pims.

John Simonson gets 2 goals and 2 assists in a win over the team usa team u17 team. He goes +3 on 6 shots. Christian Evers goes -4 in the loss.

Trevor olson is held pointless and stays even on the night. Doesnt get a point or anything so I dont know how much he actually played. Austin Poganski gets the only 2 goals for Tri-City in the loss but in -1 on 3 shots. Chris Wilkie gets and assist and is -1 with 3 shots and 2 pims.

Tucker Poolman gets 2 assists going +2 with 3 shots and 2 pims.

Ryan Mantha goes even in the win and Nick Schmaltz is also even with 5 shots.

Shane Gersich goes even in the loss for the u18s.

Charlie Pelnik is even for langley

Edit: Keep forgetting Luke Voltin out in Minot looks like in 10 games he has 2 points and is -4 with 8 pims.

Christian Evers stays even in the lost to Youngstown.

Ryan Mantha gets an assist a +1 in the win for Indiana. Jack Rowe registers 2 shots and 2 pims.

Trevor Olson is -1 with 1 shot and 2 PIMs in the loss.

John Simonson gets a goal and an assist with a +2 rating and 7 shots in the win.

Hayden Shaw and Cam Johnson both dont play for Waterloo in the loss to Fargo.

Tucker Poolman stays even with 1 shot in the win.

Nick Schmaltz goes -1 with 3 shots in the loss. Austin Poganski goes +1 with 2 shots and Chris Wilkie gets a goal on 5 shots.

Zach Yon gets an assist going +1 with 3 shots for Bismarck.

Luke Voltin gets an assist going +1 with 2 shots for Minot.

Charlie Pelnik is even for Langley.

Ryan Mantha stays even with 2 shots and 4 pims in the win.

Jack Rowe gets 2 goals on 2 shots. +2 with 2 PIMs.

Shane Gersich goes -1 with 2 shots.

Tucker Poolman goes -1 with 3 shots and 2 PIMs.

John Simonson gets and assist on 6 shots and 2 PIMs. Stays even in the win.

Chris Wilkie goes -2 with 3 shots in the lose. Austin Poganski is -1 with 2 shots.

Nick Schmaltz gets a goal and an assist on 2 shots and 2 PIMs. He goes +1.

Hayden Shaw stays even with 2 PIMs in the lose and Cam Johnson is benched again.

Zach Yon stays even in the win for Bismarck.

Luke Voltin goes +1 with 3 shots in the win for Minot.

I was checking out Sioux recruits at http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/. All descriptions (minus a few spelling and punctuation corrections) in italics are from draftsite's writer, Bill Placzek.

Ryan Mantha's description sounds like he'll fit in as a traditional Sioux defensemen -- Big and Nasty:

"Has been man-sized since he was 16, and was converted to a dman due to his size and temperament. Has a big hard shot, and is good at getting the puck to his mates. He will need more lateral ability to close better,but he does a fine job of clearing the front and protecting teammates. Was named to the USA Developmental team playing in the Ivan Hlinka Tournament. Was named to the U.S. World Junior A roster for the Junior A Challenge."

Very exciting descriptions about Gersich, Poganski, and Wilkie.

Shane Gersich: "Flyer with game breaking ability and snarl. Tremendous shot, powerful burst with a great feel for offensive. Can be creative with the pass or let go a heavy blast or one-timer. Strong skater with the ability to spurt through and around defenders and has enough edge to compete against anyone."

Austin Poganski: "Big wing who plays strong and fast. Has a powerful long stride and can carry defenders when crashing down low. Plays strong on the puck, with good hands and scoring smarts. Strong, hard competitor who wins in the battle zones, wall, and behind the net. Always keeps his feet moving and makes chances for himself. Also displays good East-West lateral ability. Much to like in this developing wing. Was named to the U.S. World Junior A roster for the Junior A Challenge."

Chris Wilkie: "High-energy wing with great wheels, strong hands, a hard shot and quick release. Reads the offensive zone well and positions himself well in support. Strong defensive zone recognition and aggressiveness. He may be a bit undersized, but displays creativity, commitment and strong defensive end awareness. Great clutch competitor who plays smart both on the attack and in pursuit of turnovers. Has a good hard shot and strong handling ability. Relentless on defense, where he out-manueuvers puck carriers and uses his stick to take the biscuit away. Long term project who needs to read on ice situations better, and play accordingly."

A not-so-exciting description about Nick Schmaltz:

"Longer-term project who is not the sum of his parts. Displays good feet, vision, hands of the high-end level, but his work ethic is on the low end. Needs to be become an all around team-first player who helps his team get chances, and not wait for the team around him to provide him with scoring chances.Was named to the U.S. World Junior A roster for the Junior A Challenge."

Hopefully the writer's take on Schmaltz is wrong. Gerscich, Poganski, and Wilke could comprise the first line of a future national championship team.

Mason Morelli is projected as a fifth-round pick. How does Reg Morelli's talented grandson not end up at UND?

The writeups are old. Schmaltz led the US in scoring with 8 points in 5 games at the Ivan Hlinka tournament; the next highest US player had 3 points. He was second overall in tourney scoring.

He also led the entire tournament in scoring at the World Junior A Challenge with 12 points; his teammate Connor Hurley was next with 10.

He's also predicted on that site to be drafted the highest of any of the Sioux recruits.

He probably does have those flaws, but 18 year olds (not just hockey players) go to college to mature. He'll be in the right place to develop a team-first mentality, if it's not there yet.

I was checking out Sioux recruits at http://www.draftsite...ock-draft/2014/. All descriptions (minus a few spelling and punctuation corrections) in italics are from draftsite's writer, Bill Placzek.

Ryan Mantha's description sounds like he'll fit in as a traditional Sioux defensemen -- Big and Nasty:

"Has been man-sized since he was 16, and was converted to a dman due to his size and temperament. Has a big hard shot, and is good at getting the puck to his mates. He will need more lateral ability to close better,but he does a fine job of clearing the front and protecting teammates. Was named to the USA Developmental team playing in the Ivan Hlinka Tournament. Was named to the U.S. World Junior A roster for the Junior A Challenge."

Very exciting descriptions about Gersich, Poganski, and Wilkie.

Shane Gersich: "Flyer with game breaking ability and snarl. Tremendous shot, powerful burst with a great feel for offensive. Can be creative with the pass or let go a heavy blast or one-timer. Strong skater with the ability to spurt through and around defenders and has enough edge to compete against anyone."

Austin Poganski: "Big wing who plays strong and fast. Has a powerful long stride and can carry defenders when crashing down low. Plays strong on the puck, with good hands and scoring smarts. Strong, hard competitor who wins in the battle zones, wall, and behind the net. Always keeps his feet moving and makes chances for himself. Also displays good East-West lateral ability. Much to like in this developing wing. Was named to the U.S. World Junior A roster for the Junior A Challenge."

Chris Wilkie: "High-energy wing with great wheels, strong hands, a hard shot and quick release. Reads the offensive zone well and positions himself well in support. Strong defensive zone recognition and aggressiveness. He may be a bit undersized, but displays creativity, commitment and strong defensive end awareness. Great clutch competitor who plays smart both on the attack and in pursuit of turnovers. Has a good hard shot and strong handling ability. Relentless on defense, where he out-manueuvers puck carriers and uses his stick to take the biscuit away. Long term project who needs to read on ice situations better, and play accordingly."

A not-so-exciting description about Nick Schmaltz:

"Longer-term project who is not the sum of his parts. Displays good feet, vision, hands of the high-end level, but his work ethic is on the low end. Needs to be become an all around team-first player who helps his team get chances, and not wait for the team around him to provide him with scoring chances.Was named to the U.S. World Junior A roster for the Junior A Challenge."

Hopefully the writer's take on Schmaltz is wrong. Gerscich, Poganski, and Wilke could comprise the first line of a future national championship team.

Mason Morelli is projected as a fifth-round pick. How does Reg Morelli's talented grandson not end up at UND?

Not sure how much he has actually watched Schmaltz play and think he may have just caught him on a bad day from what I have seen. Schmaltz is very talented and skilled and should contribute immediately next season when I have seen him he has been flying around and willing to play physical as well as looking to make things happen. I'd be a little surprised if Morelli is drafted and I like the guys we have committed more than him and feel almost all have better potential than him.

The writeups are old. Schmaltz led the US in scoring with 8 points in 5 games at the Ivan Hlinka tournament; the next highest US player had 3 points. He was second overall in tourney scoring.

He also led the entire tournament in scoring at the World Junior A Challenge with 12 points; his teammate Connor Hurley was next with 10.

He's also predicted on that site to be drafted the highest of any of the Sioux recruits.

He probably does have those flaws, but 18 year olds (not just hockey players) go to college to mature. He'll be in the right place to develop a team-first mentality, if it's not there yet.

Agreed those write ups were pretty old, pretty much the opposite (excluding mantha) actually occurred as far as the years each of those players actually had. Gersich was not that bad but I thought he had higher offensive talent given the team he played on....that team scores like 5 goals per game. With another year of juniors I think poganski and Wilkie will be nice.

I actually witnessed a game where schmaltz was loafing big time, however the offensive talent is very apparent. He needs a ton of work in his own zone though.

Actually got to talk to Reg at the NCHC between periods, and my wife asked him, essentially, that very question. Reg and his wife both said they'd have liked Mason to go to UND, but Blais got his hooks into him. Basically, it's Archibald, part 2.

Actually got to talk to Reg at the NCHC between periods, and my wife asked him, essentially, that very question. Reg and his wife both said they'd have liked Mason to go to UND, but Blais got his hooks into him. Basically, it's Archibald, part 2.

Did you ask him if the Sioux had offered or had been hinting that they may be close to offering? I'd actually be a little surprised if he already had a Sioux offer at the time he committed to UNO.

Did you ask him if the Sioux had offered or had been hinting that they may be close to offering? I'd actually be a little surprised if he already had a Sioux offer at the time he committed to UNO.

Nope, we didn't get that far into it. Once Blais came up, the subject turned to him being at the tourney and how we hadn't seen him yet, etc. Only talked to the Morellis for about 10 minutes, maybe 15. Did sound like Mason is probably playing another year of USHL before going to UNO, however.