SiouxSports.com Forum

Suspensions and Injurys

yellowknife

I am ready to move on, but one thing that bugs me is this: Mcleod was asked for details about why Frattin was suspended. He declined to explain, instead stating "several" factors were at play.

If nobody knows the details of why Frattin got the extra game, how is that going to help officials, players coaches, etc understand what they can and cannot do?

This league is broken at the top, and needs a major overhaul. Bruce Mcleod and Greg Shepherd need to go. I think most WCHA fans would agree with me on this.

I think if you're going to suspend someone at least have the common courtesy to give us the details, I think the fans are entitled to that.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he is the only player to be arrested twice, and suspended twice this season, so he probably should be front page news over there.

Happy what time does your team play this weekend? Oh yeah, that's right they don't play because their season is done.

Forget to take your meds this morning?

He would have bounced off at a different angle if he hadn't jumped into the hit. The angle he moves at doesn't make any sense otherwise. There is no way that he would bounced up. Wehrs would have had to be pushing back for that to happen, and he didn't. The only way he could have left his feet under power other than his own would be if Wehrs was trying to hit him back and there is no way he could have, he dropped like a stone.

My physics education is not as fresh as yours, nor maybe as complete, but up is still an angle, is it not?

2 cars in a head on collision, and one has a lower bumper than the other...may cause the higher bumper car to ride up and over, rather than to the right or left?

Well, he is the only player to be arrested twice, and suspended twice this season, so he probably should be front page news over there.

The headline on the front page should read: "Premier College Hockey Program in the State of Hockey Misses Playoffs."

OMG! I thought with only 3 days between the rubber game with the Gophers and the play-in at the X, we hockey obsessed fans were going to be able to fill the downtime with some other aspect of our existence but, no. We're turning these few frames of video of the Frattin hit into the Zapruder film! Google it, kiddies. Next, someone's going to theorize there was a second skater on the grassy knoll. I kid.

I have no idea whether Frattin's hit was dirty enough to merit supplemental discipline. It looked violent in real time and unfortunately it caused injury. I don't think McLeod has done anyone a favor by refusing to explain the rationale behind the suspension.

Happy what time does your team play this weekend? Oh yeah, that's right they don't play because their season is done.

Forget to take your meds this morning?

Goon...normally I would say you probably should take it easy on Gopher fans. However, Happy is different animal.

what got frattin in the suspension I believe was the distance he went to hit wehrs and his admission he wanted to lay out a big hit. we can be fortunate that it isn't more than one game as it could have affected our ncaa game. numerous people on this board have been up in arms that the wcha hasn't done anything about hits like this and now they do we are all upset because it was one of ours. if the shoe had been on the other foot and frattin was on the receiving end we would be asking for the death penalty. the situation is what it is and frattin stepped over the line and now has to sit out a game. i said this in an earlier thread so we'll win 4-3 instead of 5-3. let's move on and I'm pretty sure this will fire up the boys even more and should we win frattin will have fresh legs come fri night.

what got frattin in the suspension I believe was the distance he went to hit wehrs and his admission he wanted to lay out a big hit. we can be fortunate that it isn't more than one game as it could have affected our ncaa game. numerous people on this board have been up in arms that the wcha hasn't done anything about hits like this and now they do we are all upset because it was one of ours. if the shoe had been on the other foot and frattin was on the receiving end we would be asking for the death penalty. the situation is what it is and frattin stepped over the line and now has to sit out a game. i said this in an earlier thread so we'll win 4-3 instead of 5-3. let's move on and I'm pretty sure this will fire up the boys even more and should we win frattin will have fresh legs come fri night.

Exactly...we can't have it both ways. A one game suspension seems right. No need to try and rationalize the hit or break it down frame by frame etc...

OMG! I thought with only 3 days between the rubber game with the Gophers and the play-in at the X, we hockey obsessed fans were going to be able to fill the downtime with some other aspect of our existence but, no. We're turning these few frames of video of the Frattin hit into the Zapruder film! Google it, kiddies. Next, someone's going to theorize there was a second skater on the grassy knoll. I kid.

This is exactly what I've been thinking!

:glare:

edit: I also agree with siouxweet: Frattin went public with his desire to make a big hit. Lammy went public with his desire to throw down with Marvin. I'd suggest the players keep their mouths shut from now on.

Frattin went public with his desire to make a big hit. Lammy went public with his desire to throw down with Marvin. I'd suggest the players keep their mouths shut from now on.

I agree on the keep the mouth shut thing... doesn't bode well from a PR standpoint when you injured the guy. (whether there was intent or not)

Aside - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Frattin's hit likely won the game for us. Up until that point, the good guys looked like they were dragging arse. After the hit, the crowd was into it big-time, and the Sioux showed some go. Throw in the injury to one of their guys (not gloating - just stating facts for you sympathetic types) and the fear of getting nailed to the glass; the gophers pretty much looked they all got punched in the stomach. We owned the ice after that hit.

My Point: Frattin made the hit to fire up his team, and demoralize the opponent; not to injure anybody. Anyway, it worked. And yeah - he went full steam ahead, on the gas through impact, deserving a charging major, IMO. My jury's still out on the suspension. Don't think it was warranted - not surprised it was given.

The injury aside - I'm a big fan of punishing hits and hard nose hockey. I'm a Sioux fan.

I agree on the keep the mouth shut thing... doesn't bode well from a PR standpoint when you injured the guy. (whether there was intent or not)

Aside - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Frattin's hit likely won the game for us. Up until that point, the good guys looked like they were dragging arse. After the hit, the crowd was into it big-time, and the Sioux showed some go. Throw in the injury to one of their guys (not gloating - just stating facts for you sympathetic types) and the fear of getting nailed to the glass; the gophers pretty much looked they all got punched in the stomach. We owned the ice after that hit.

My Point: Frattin made the hit to fire up his team, and demoralize the opponent; not to injure anybody. Anyway, it worked. And yeah - he went full steam ahead, on the gas through impact, deserving a charging major, IMO. My jury's still out on the suspension. Don't think it was warranted - not surprised it was given.

The injury aside - I'm a big fan of punishing hits and hard nose hockey. I'm a Sioux fan.

You are right, it was the turning point of the game. Now if the Gophers put in 2 or 3 during that major and won the game, I think many would have a different view of things. We can be some fickle mo-fos for sure.

You are right, it was the turning point of the game. Now if the Gophers put in 2 or 3 during that major and won the game, I think many would have a different view of things. We can be some fickle mo-fos for sure.

Even if that happened, I'd still consider it the turning point. But you're right that our fans wouldn't be so forgiving of Frattin in that instance.

Well, Lamoureaux received his suspension because the Sioux players talked about him going after Marvin. WCHA front office logic says that Frattin saying he wanted to fire his team up by making a big hit justifies a suspension. That just might be the "number of factors" that went into the decision. That, and Donnie Lucia's seventeen messages left on McLoed's answering machine begging for something to be done.

Alex Kangas said the whole team hates Sioux fans and the team. Kangas wound up hacking a person in the back of the head with his stick. Tony Lucia assaulted a fan with his stick.

Since Kangas was talking about it there should be some team suspensions. I think they should ban the entire team from participating in post season play.

Oh wait, that wouldn't be much of a penalty for them. I'll come up with something. :glare:

From NCAA rulebook (sorry if someone else posted earlier, I may have missed it)

Charging

SECTION 6. a. A player shall not skate more than two steps or jump into or

charge an opponent. Charging is the action of a player, who as a result

of distance traveled, checks an opponent violently in any manner from

the front or side.

Note: A fair body check is one in which a player checks an opponent who is in

possession of the puck, by using the hip or body from the front or diagonally

from the front or straight from the side.

PENALTY

Alex Kangas said the whole team hates Sioux fans and the team.

Good, I like it that way.

That means that opposing teams find it hard to play against the Sioux team and that the fans are into the games and make it an atmosphere that is tough to play in.

Let's keep it that way. :glare:

I hope this controversy and suspension doesn't take Frattin off his game. He's been on fire. And by "off his game," I don't mean head hunting. That is not his game--scoring and playing with intensity is.

The real prize starts with regionals. Anybody else have mixed feelings about this team coming off a three-game weekend and then playing three more at the FF followed by another short rest before the biggest weekend of the year?

Or am I just another pussy?

hope someone can step up on that line for thursday and fill a hole and produce! short week is great after playing sunday then now thursday for a fans take! love it

any of these headlines make it?

don and the don-ettes finish BELOW .500 this season. making them a hovering .500 for the last 3 years combined overall and in wcha play :glare:

or

umTC fails to make ncaa tourney again and home regional since they couldnt crack the top 14 in the pairwise rankings out of 60 teams or so?

keep bringing in those soft recruits who seem to give up when things are tough. schroeder was on the back of a milk carton this last weekend which baffles me because he was so good vs top world talent in last 2 wjt. hmm, must be in house and thats obvious. please keep it up don! once don is out then they can rebuild. there isnt reloading happening there as there are issues. i think the most die hard gophs fans here like sagard/fhg and cardinal will agree that thsi sint a overnite rebuild process and there is more to it that that.

back to topic again :ohmy:

frats will be nice and rested for the DU beatdown we will give them as a eye opener heading into the ncaa's :D we are 0-4 vs them so we are due right?? :lol: