SiouxSports.com Forum

Denver Pioneers Come To the Ralph

The Whistler

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to think Dell will get a start. Sure he had a rough night when he started at home against St. Cloud but as mentioned, BE hasn't been sharp either. I think a rotation between the two might be what we need in net. Both just need to concentrate on being shutdown for one night per weekend.

Dell allowed us to get the tie against UW, he played welll in a big spot there. I was very surprised that Hak went with BE the next night.

Regardless of who starts both guys need to be ready to go. Dell and Eidsness both need to prepare like they'll be in the net any time the sioux strap it on. I'll use the old adage that both are simply a heartbeat away from being the guy in the game at any point in time. I think you start Dell on Friday night and then give Eidsness Saturday night against DU. Hopefully both guys give UND a great chance to win both games. The Sioux can ill afford to drop any more conference games, and it all starts in the net. You can't beat the #1 team in the nation with cheap goals. Cheverie won't give up any freebies for DU, and our goalies need the same type of performance.

What's the word on Hextall playing this weekend? I noticed in the last segment of Brad Miller Time he wasn't wearing the "boot". I wasn't able to listen to the

game on Saturday. Did Knight play ?

Knight did not play. He was interviewed by Tim H and said that he thought he might be ready this coming week.

I think it is funny about the goaltending...

First off, BE isn't bad. He plays a different style than Dell. Actually, it's sort of hybrid between Dell's more positional stay at home style and JPL and Goehring's aggressive style.

That leads me to my second point: It's absolutely FRIGHTENING how similar fan's reactions are to BE when comparing them to what I remember hearing early on in Goehring's time AND JPL and perhaps even JPar!

Countless posts about how nervous everyone gets when JPar or JPL come out to handle the puck... same thing when BE comes out to handle the puck.

So, in conclusion, I think BE will be just fine. And, when he graduates, the next guy will come in (Gothberg and Dell) and we'll lament on how they are too agressive and etc.

Heh.. JPL is a flopper and a diver and we all want him back.

Hypocritical in a very amusing way.

Now 2 posts will respond to this one:

1. Calls me wrong and explains how Eidsness sucks

2. Calls me wrong and explains that it is somehow different.

That's ok. But I'll guarantee you that we'll look back after Eidsness is gone and Gothberg or Dell has a bad game or two and wish Eids was back.

Flame away.

First off, BE isn't bad. He plays a different style than Dell. Actually, it's sort of hybrid between Dell's more positional stay at home style and JPL and Goehring's aggressive style.

That leads me to my second point: It's absolutely FRIGHTENING how similar fan's reactions are to BE when comparing them to what I remember hearing early on in Goehring's time AND JPL and perhaps even JPar!

Countless posts about how nervous everyone gets when JPar or JPL come out to handle the puck... same thing when BE comes out to handle the puck.

So, in conclusion, I think BE will be just fine. And, when he graduates, the next guy will come in (Gothberg and Dell) and we'll lament on how they are too agressive and etc.

That's ok. But I'll guarantee you that we'll look back after Eidsness is gone and Gothberg or Dell has a bad game or two and wish Eids was back.

Flame away.

3rd type: I agree....I find it completely funny when the same people would told me that I was insane for believing in JPL, tell me that they wish he was back now......I think some fans will never be happy with what they have...the old "you don't know what you have until it is gone"

3rd type: I agree....I find it completely funny when the same people would told me that I was insane for believing in JPL, tell me that they wish he was back now......I think some fans will never be happy with what they have...the old "you don't know what you have until it is gone"

Forgive me. I forgot that someone would even think about agreeing with me. :(

Everything that has happened up until this point is worth about as much as my opinion (2 cents). We are about to start the key stretch run. We will not win the McNaughton, but we can make a very strong run at home ice for the WCHA playoffs and a high seed in the national tournament by going .750 here on in.

Go Sioux!

Everything that has happened up until this point is worth about as much as my opinion (2 cents). We are about to start the key stretch run. We will not win the McNaughton, but we can make a very strong run at home ice for the WCHA playoffs and a high seed in the national tournament by going .750 here on in.

Go Sioux!

Flame away.

I've been saying the same things as well....so I concur also. :(

I agree that Eidsness isn't bad. He just isn't a shutdown goalie at this point. With the decrease in goal scoring over the years it becomes more and more a goalie game and "isn't bad" isn't good enough.

I think Eidsness has the potential to become a shutdown goalie, however I am losing some confidence in my position as the season progresses.

Last year he started 40 games and played in 41. He had a GAA of 2.58 and save pct of .905.

This year he has so far started 22 and played in 24 with a GAA of 2.23 and save pct of .906.

Very similar numbers. Unfortunately, to me, that is not good. I was satisfied with his numbers last year because he was a freshman. By the start of his soph. year he already had played in 41 games, more like the numbers a junior might have. So I don't think it was unrealistic to expect him to show some improvement this year. He was the first UND goalie drafted in over 10 years and had considerable playing time as a freshman (almost every game). This year I was looking for more of a .920 save pct similar to what Cheverie put up as a soph (he only played 5 games as a frosh). That save pct would mean 8 fewer goals this year. Given the number of ties and one goal losses it would probably mean at least 4 more wins. If that was the case then we would still be looking at a good chance as repeating a WCHA champs and an NCAA playoff bid would be close to a certainty.

He has now started 62 games, time to start taking over and steal some games.

The next three series (Denver, St Cloud, UMD) are going to be tough. The Sioux could win all six or lose all six. Great goalie play would go along way to winning those games. Just making the NCAA tourny is not good enough for me or most Sioux fans I suspect. Since they went to 16 teams in the playoffs you have to win four games to get the championship. It is very difficult to win all four with just good goaltending.

Very hard to tell what kind of goaltending we got at Cornell since they only had 31 shots for the w/e.

This w/e with Denver is as good as time as any to make a noticeable leap forward in the net.

I want all 4 points and I want to see curious George fall off the dasher :( .

Go Sioux!

obviously anything can happen come post-season (look at umd last year), but i agree with you. it really feels like the salvaging of our season starts this weekend. if we can take three or four points from the pioneers, that will give us the momentum and confidence necessary to give st cloud a fight on their home ice. those two series are so important in order for us to establish ourselves as a force to reckon with going into the last month of the regular season and the post-season.

failure this weekend may be difficult to overcome.

for some perspective on this look at eddie the eagle's numbers in 1987 they weren't that stellar, but he had a team that routinely scored 4,5,6 goals for him so when he gave up 2-3 a night it didn't make a difference. if this team could ever score 4 on a routine basis BE would rarely ever be brought up.

I don't think Eids is horrible but he is not really winning games for us. Teams need a goalie that will steal a win for them from time to time. Just like Cornell friday and kangas last saturday. i think he still has a chance at being a good keeper but he needs to mature a bit more

for the record going back to last season BE is the reason we were able to get a tie on Sat against the Pioneers. he has done it just not as often as we would like.

obviously anything can happen come post-season (look at umd last year), but i agree with you. it really feels like the salvaging of our season starts this weekend. if we can take three or four points from the pioneers, that will give us the momentum and confidence necessary to give st cloud a fight on their home ice. those two series are so important in order for us to establish ourselves as a force to reckon with going into the last month of the regular season and the post-season.

failure this weekend may be difficult to overcome.

I still think that anyone could win the league title ion St Paul and there will probably be a team that doesn't make the final five that will actually go to the NCAA tourney this season. Also, I don't know if anyone wants to play UAA right now, they seem to win the second game of most series and you never know what could happen on Sunday. I watched the some of the second game of the UAA and C.C. game and UAA took it to them. Of course UAA advantage is the trip up to Alaska is so poor, and it's probably killing them to come to the Lower 48.

I think when our forwards (with help from the "d") start scoring we won't worry about the goalie losing any games for us.

especially on friday when dell does what he needs to do and we cant get 1 damn goal to even force overtime. it goes the other way as well. good point. hope we can get it rolling friday night vs a very good goalie and team overall. i play both goalies as both were solid last weekend. go sioux!

especially on friday when dell does what he needs to do and we cant get 1 damn goal to even force overtime. it goes the other way as well. good point. hope we can get it rolling friday night vs a very good goalie and team overall. i play both goalies as both were solid last weekend. go sioux!

Not that we've been perfect, but I can't recall any of our games being lost because of the goalies not playing well enough to win.

Not that we've been perfect, but I can't recall any of our games being lost because of the goalies not playing well enough to win.

yeah just a few im guessing when you really break the schedule down.

havent read up but is knight injured? or just a day to day thing?

Flame away.

Interesting points - Most people aren't sayine Eidsness is horrible, it's just that he isn't playing at the level we need to get to where we need to go. He's currently tied for 8th in the WCHA in save percentage at .908 - the only people below him are Tech and Anchorage's goalies and Wisconson's second goalie. Two freshmen (Lee and Howe) are ahead of him. As for him being only a Sophomore, remember he has 65 games under his belt. I would submit that he's no longer a young goalie and needs to step it up. As near as I can tell, he and Cheverie have played in roughly the same amount of games - In face, I bet if you added them up, he has as much game experience as almost anyone in the league. When we recruited him, we could offer any goalie in the country an almost automatic starting job at the best program in the country - If expectations seem high, it's because they are.

I think he told Hennesey that he should be ok, but I doubt we'll here for sure until late this week.

Hextall got hurt before Knight and both were "out for 4-6 weeks". Wonder if there is any chance Hexy might be back this weekend as well?