SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Flood

jloos

Because I'm not from the area and don't know the roads as well as everyone else... I need to move this weekend. I have to be in Oklahoma City early Tuesday morning.

My parents are attempting to come up from Wisconsin to Grand Forks on Friday... will it be possible? Are there any bridges in Fargo that will still be open, plus will I29 still be open? I've also been told to have them take 94 to 59 to 2 and try to get to Grand Forks that way. Does anyone know if either of these would work or are they going to be forced to go all the way up to Pembina?

Also... I need to get down I29. I know that it's already closed south of Fargo... how can I get around that? Any suggestions?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I'm not from the area and don't know the roads as well as everyone else... I need to move this weekend. I have to be in Oklahoma City early Tuesday morning.

My parents are attempting to come up from Wisconsin to Grand Forks on Friday... will it be possible? Are there any bridges in Fargo that will still be open, plus will I29 still be open? I've also been told to have them take 94 to 59 to 2 and try to get to Grand Forks that way. Does anyone know if either of these would work or are they going to be forced to go all the way up to Pembina?

Also... I need to get down I29. I know that it's already closed south of Fargo... how can I get around that? Any suggestions?

You can check out ND road conditions here- http://www.dot.nd.gov/roadreport/roadreport/roadreport.asp

MN road conditions here- http://www.511mn.org/default.asp?area=statewide

I-29 north of Fargo should be better once all this snow stops. If that's the case, I'd recommend I-94 to I-29. The I-94 bridge and the Main Ave bridge will remain open in Fargo. All others have or will be closed tomorrow.

Ya know... you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. :lol:

Was this your first ever interaction with that neighbor? I hope not, because you know what they say about first impressions.

Well I guess I wouldn't be very polite either under those circumstances. Now it makes a lot more sense.

Well, this might come off as a personal attack....BUT

you, sir, are a first class D-bag. Everything you seem to say on this site seems to completely contradict whoever you are responding to. I would think there are probably more people on this site that would prefer you stop posting than continue. I hope you get flooded out of your house, out of the state, and to a location that denies you the privilege of using the internet for the purposes of posting on this forum.

And for your information, said neighbor has never been kind to her, her family, or her visitors (including myself) so I think she was rather polite in the way in which she handled this. Maybe get the whole story next time instead of making juvenile judgments based on your own narrow-minded perceptions.

you, sir, are a first class D-bag. Everything you seem to say on this site seems to completely contradict whoever you are responding to. I would think there are probably more people on this site that would prefer you stop posting than continue. I hope you get flooded out of your house, out of the state, and to a location that denies you the privilege of using the internet for the purposes of posting on this forum.

And for your information, said neighbor has never been kind to her, her family, or her visitors (including myself) so I think she was rather polite in the way in which she handled this. Maybe get the whole story next time instead of making juvenile judgments based on your own narrow-minded perceptions.

Speaking of personal attacks. That was totally uncalled for.

DaveK made another statement re his first post, I think you ought to think of what you posted. You are probably on the $&!@ list of many Fargo residents about now.

Speaking of personal attacks. That was totally uncalled for.

DaveK made another statement re his first post, I think you ought to think of what you posted. You are probably on the $&!@ list of many Fargo residents about now.

Grow up! Now is not the time for any of this crap!!! (This wasn't directed at you, Siouxmama!)

As others have noted, this post could have done without the crossed out parts and still made the same point of disagreeing with what the other person said. The attack was uncalled for, but hijacking the disaster that's the topic of this thread to wish it upon someone with whom you disagreed on a sports message board is way over the top.

Water over dike at Oxbow. Coming up so fast caught people off guard and homes flooded. Can't get to some people by car so FPD sent out 6 airboats to evacuate those people!

I heard about this over the radio and with your ID I hoped this didn't include you. Good luck.

Well, you're right about one thing... that was a personal attack.

EVERYTHING that I seem to say on this site seems to completely contradict whoever I am responding to? I have two things to say to that absurd accusation:

1. Bull$hit!!!

2. F*ck you!!!

Any rational individual would agree that under normal circumstances you are going to have much better luck if you ASK for somebody's cooperation rather than using the "I told him, not asked, to stop" approach. People don't like it when other people try to boss them around. After I was made aware of the history of problems with this particular neighbor I said I probably would have done the same thing.

So, taking into consideration the fact that I stated I wouldn't have been polite either under those particular circumstances...

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

The only "narrow-minded perceptions" around here are the ones you seem to have about "everything that I seem to say on this site". :lol:

The only "juvenille judgements" are the ones you made about me. ;)

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I will get off the soapbox. Let's try to steer this thread back on topic... best of luck to Sioux-cia in the dispute with the bothersome neighbor.

DaveK, I've said it before. You can be your own worst enemy. The offending post had already been addressed by one other poster, as well as an administrator. You should have stayed on the high road per your previous post.

You're post is also a violation of the rules of this board.

It would be a shame to shut down a thread on a serious topic such as this flood which is affecting so many people. However, if individuals cannot follow the rules of the board it will result in suspensions of those individuals as well potentially necessitate closing the thread that is inspiring these emotions. Let's not go there with this thread.

Similar conduct will not be tolerated further without suspension. This warning is not only for DaveK and revolutionz. Read here the Forum Rules. Specifically:

No personal attacks, defamation, or libel

No profanity or obscenity

It's Mike, where you going after OKC?

Grand Forks residents appear to be feeling a false sense of security in regards to the flooding. Isn't it a case where one breach south of town on the east side of the river, could esentially fill up the whole town again? A combination of an understating of the projected river level, like '97, coupled with a breach, could result in a 4 mile wide swatch of water that would be impossible to defend against.

Fargo, ND, officials to raise dikes as river rises

In the Fargodome, where a sandbag-making operation was working furiously, public works official Bruce Grubb was struck by the variety of people helping out.

"Any time you see Bison football T-shirts and Sioux hockey T-shirts working side-by-side and smiling, we've really come together," Grubb said, referring to students from North Dakota State and its rival, the University of North Dakota.

:lol:

Grand Forks residents appear to be feeling a false sense of security in regards to the flooding. Isn't it a case where one breach south of town on the east side of the river, could esentially fill up the whole town again? A combination of an understating of the projected river level, like '97, coupled with a breach, could result in a 4 mile wide swatch of water that would be impossible to defend against.

Yes...I agree! I live on Belmont with the dike in my backyard and I'm getting damn nervous. It's well over the bike path and the river is close to the top of the "97" flood statue today. I'd post a picture I was sent but don't know how. Kevin Dean might / will be out of a job along with others because he's the one leading the "do not worry" charge. with all the good things we've done since 97. The Burke addition is currently fighting a very bad fight (similalr to Fargo's fight) and I bet they wish the would have been annexed into the city in 97. To bad new owners are battling the fight while the old owners who vetoed the annexation have moved on. GF should have a plan in motion if something goes wrong....which can happen. Good luck Oxbow if you live near the mess!

Let's get real. There is VERY little topography in the area. In '97, the flood stretched out about 3 miles east from the river banks. If the eastside holds up all along the line, the reverse condemnation would put the waterline out farther at the same levels the river reached in '97. A breach south would create a situation impossible to defend against.

Ringing the city with a dyke would simply be impossible.

I don't think there's any such thing as a Fargo vs. GF thing. I think it's a UND vs. NDSU thing, and I believe it was referenced only to illustrate how people are working together for a common goal.

That was the reason that I felt it was worth posting.

Let's get real. There is VERY little topography in the area. In '97, the flood stretched out about 3 miles east from the river banks. If the eastside holds up all along the line, the reverse condemnation would put the waterline out farther at the same levels the river reached in '97. A breach south would create a situation impossible to defend against.

Ringing the city with a dyke would simply be impossible.

Why are you so worried about the east side dikes? You do realize that both sides are at the same height and the east side dikes are older. My understanding is that is helpful to 'settle' the dikes. Hell, if the east side dikes go that only helps gf.

In what should be encouraging news for Grand Forks, the Red Lake River at Crookston has been dropping significantly over the past 12 hours. In 1997, the Red Lake River flow at Crookston exceeded the flow that's projected through Fargo this year.

crkm5_hg.png

Hoping and praying that the Red at Fargo crests soon.