SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Flood

jloos

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to KFGO and they are reporting that the Red River in Fargo is now at the highest stage that it has ever been. Best of luck to all of those people who are fighting this horrible flood.

I hadn't realized that the 97 flood wasn't the highest in Fargo, it was from the 1800's. That's crazy.

Good luck to all Fargo and GF residents.

I had the flood cam active at work all day...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/pages/floodcam

Phats just called, he lives in N. Fargo. The city is asking for voluntary evacuation of North Fargo residents.

Good luck to him Sioux-CIA

I've been watching and praying all week...and people here in Ontario are paying attention too. Been thinking way too much about 1997, like so many others as well. My co-workers, friends and family are all watching and praying for my family, friends and former co-workers back home in North Dakota. Never have I been more proud to be from North Dakota than this week when I have watched all the volunteers and stubborn Germans and Norwegians, just damn good and proud Midwestern people like me, stick together through this again. God speed.

Good luck to him Sioux-CIA

I've been watching and praying all week...and people here in Ontario are paying attention too. Been thinking way too much about 1997, like so many others as well. My co-workers, friends and family are all watching and praying for my family, friends and former co-workers back home in North Dakota. Never have I been more proud to be from North Dakota than this week when I have watched all the volunteers and stubborn Germans and Norwegians, just damn good and proud Midwestern people like me, stick together through this again. God speed.

Thanks! I'll pass it on to him. He and his GF will likely come north and stay at my house but he's concerned that he's just moving from one flooded home to another. He's one of the lucky ones that has another home to go to. I'm worried about all those students and residents that don't have the same option.

I hadn't realized that the 97 flood wasn't the highest in Fargo, it was from the 1800's. That's crazy.

Good luck to all Fargo and GF residents.

I had the flood cam active at work all day...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/pages/floodcam

You are right brianvf, I apologize for my mistake. The radio said that the water has passed the level of '97. They predict the all time record will happen tonight. Dikes are being built in south Fargo now to 44 feet. Volunteer sandbagging efforts are being changed and specific routes in Fargo will be closed so sandbags can move freely through Fargo. Mayor Wallacker sounds very dejected right now. Over 800 guard members in Fargo helping to make sure that everything is moving ok. Pray hard tonight for all of those in the Fargo/Moorhead area.

Thanks! I'll pass it on to him. He and his GF will likely come north and stay at my house but he's concerned that he's just moving from one flooded home to another. He's one of the lucky ones that has another home to go to. I'm worried about all those students and residents that don't have the same option.

Im at his place still too...we just finished moving all their stuff upstairs, and we havent decided if we are going to try and leave tonight or leave tomorrow or at all...they are talking about shutting the water off in fargo sometime in the middle of the night, but they arent sure yet.

I have not heard of any evacuation plans for N. Fargo yet. My parents live in Riverwood and they have a bag packed just in case, but are good for now. South Moorhead ordered a mandatory evacuation. Oakport Township (N. of Moorhead) is being evacuated. The national guard is running the show now -they do not want any volunteers other than those in the specific areas. Traffic was a nightmare in the area today. It took my wife 2 1/2 hrs to get from her job in W Fargo to our house in Moorhead. It took me almost an hour to go from downtown Fargo to N. Moorhead (usually takes 5 min). This definately sucks.

I am going down tomorrow morning from the Forks to help a friend in N. Fargo. Now I see they are closing major roads in Fargo. Does anyone know if I will be able to get there with these new closures announced tonight?

I have not heard of any evacuation plans for N. Fargo yet. My parents live in Riverwood and they have a bag packed just in case, but are good for now. South Moorhead ordered a mandatory evacuation. Oakport Township (N. of Moorhead) is being evacuated. The national guard is running the show now -they do not want any volunteers other than those in the specific areas. Traffic was a nightmare in the area today. It took my wife 2 1/2 hrs to get from her job in W Fargo to our house in Moorhead. It took me almost an hour to go from downtown Fargo to N. Moorhead (usually takes 5 min). This definately sucks.

Volunteers are definitely still wanted, the National Guard hasn't said anything about that. The city, however, is asking that people stay within their neighborhoods to help out as opposed to driving across town to help people.

There are a few neighborhoods that have already been evacuated, or evacuation is in progress. I just heard that Meritcare is evacuating their patients.

I am going down tomorrow morning from the Forks to help a friend in N. Fargo. Now I see they are closing major roads in Fargo. Does anyone know if I will be able to get there with these new closures announced tonight?

The Fargo Police Department has announced the closure of several roads that will be used for flood truck traffic only beginning at 6 a.m. Friday.

The closures are as follows:

- University Dr. from 35th Ave. N. to 40th Ave. S.

- 10th St. from 13th Ave. S. to 19th Ave. N.

- NP Ave. from University Dr. to the river

- 7th Ave. N. from University Dr. to the river

- 19th Ave. N. from University Dr. to Elm St.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/235378/group/home/

Let's get real. There is VERY little topography in the area. In '97, the flood stretched out about 3 miles east from the river banks. If the eastside holds up all along the line, the reverse condemnation would put the waterline out farther at the same levels the river reached in '97. A breach south would create a situation impossible to defend against.

Ringing the city with a dyke would simply be impossible.

How would you not be able to set up a dyke system around both East Grand Forks and Grand Forks? You just have to keep on building around both cities fast enough to keep both of them as dry islands. Then again, I have heard somebody mention that an emergancy channel like what Winnepeg has would take a lot of pressure off of the levees around the cities. More room for more water to head north.

We are now in a "red zone" and are on our own. We, as a neighborhood, are going to make a final push to save our homes and raise our dike. Evacuation was recommended, but we'll fight one more day...

We are now in a "red zone" and are on our own. We, as a neighborhood, are going to make a final push to save our homes and raise our dike. Evacuation was recommended, but we'll fight one more day...

Good luck with your fight. We prayed as family for those fighting the flood in ND and MN.

Regardless of my/our outcome, the people of this city and area...especially the youth, need to be recognized for the effort they put forth to try to save this city/area. Also a huge thank you to those who risked their own safety to come here to help from other cities and states.

Take time today to hug your spouse and kids and tell them you love them because as we are finding out very quickly, very little else matters in the big picture!

You, as well as everyone in the Red River Valley, have a bunch of prayers being generated for you from Florida! Hang in there!

Best of luck to you and your neighbors. Saw a clip on the news this morning from Oxbow ... :D

Most of the tributaries between Halstad and Grand Forks have already crested. The Red at Grand Forks is already flowing at 2.5 times the capacity that Fargo is experiencing, so for the GF crest the tributary contributions are in many respects more predictive than the localized situation in Fargo.

The Sandhill at Climax is an exception, but it's flow contribution is small:

clxm5_hg.png

The Red Lake at Crookston is now at minor flooding level, which is great news for GF.

crkm5_hg.png

The Goose at Hillsboro:

hgrn8_hg.png

The Marsh at Shelly:

shym5_hg.png