SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Flood

jloos

F/M Flood Info

Very ugly prediction for us in the F/M area. Two five hundred year floods 12 years apart :D

I live about 2 miles from the Red so unless all of Moorhead goes under I am safe. I am hoping to use this thread for others living closer to the river to post for sandbagging help. Please keep it away from a Fargo vs. GF flamefest :glare:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard an interesting story.

Wahpeton and Grand Forks paid money for flood levee stuff (the words escape me). Fargo tried but was defeated by a bunch of homeowners who didn't want it passing through their property.

Is it ok for me, on behalf of my parents who still live in Fargo, to laugh at those bozos if their houses flood?

Seriously, though, I wonder how much trouble Fargo would really be in had those flood prevention measures been built.

Going to be interesting to say the least! In '97 our WHOLE neighborhood had a ring sandbag dike...and we live down by 52nd Ave a few block north of Shanley. Bought 20 each of 2", 3" and 4" drain plugs while in St. Paul as there were none left in Fargo. We start bagging Tues. Any volunters? :lol:

Going to be interesting to say the least! In '97 our WHOLE neighborhood had a ring sandbag dike...and we live down by 52nd Ave a few block north of Shanley. Bought 20 each of 2", 3" and 4" drain plugs while in St. Paul as there were none left in Fargo. We start bagging Tues. Any volunters? :lol:

If we are done bagging my parents (42nd Ave N) I will try and work my way to 52nd Ave S tomorrow.

The UND Student Government office has arranged for buses to go down to Fargo with student and faculty/staff volunteers to help with sandbagging. Good job UND!

Student Government website providing details for any students looking to volunteer.

That is great, but manpower isn't the issue. There is major shortage of sandbags! They can't get bags to the volunteers/workers fast enough. Not looking good down here in south Fargo! :lol:

That is great, but manpower isn't the issue. There is major shortage of sandbags! They can't get bags to the volunteers/workers fast enough. Not looking good down here in south Fargo! :lol:

Do you mean that the garbage facility isn't making them fast enough, or some other shortage? If it's a production issue, things should start improving today/tonight. The third "octopus" machine(borrowed from GF) should have been set up a few hours ago, the facility should have been swamped with NDSU volunteers from late this morning(1500 were waiting for transportation earlier today), and the use of the portable flood walls should allow sandbags to be diverted from those areas to other places where they're needed more. Hopefully, production will improve greatly starting tonight and keeping it up through the weekend.

Are we still at the point where we want the temperatures to drop at night so the snow melt slows, or is that now doing more harm than good(stiff/frozen sandbags make bad dikes)?

Do you mean that the garbage facility isn't making them fast enough, or some other shortage? If it's a production issue, things should start improving today/tonight. The third "octopus" machine(borrowed from GF) should have been set up a few hours ago, the facility should have been swamped with NDSU volunteers from late this morning(1500 were waiting for transportation earlier today), and the use of the portable flood walls should allow sandbags to be diverted from those areas to other places where they're needed more. Hopefully, production will improve greatly starting tonight and keeping it up through the weekend.

Are we still at the point where we want the temperatures to drop at night so the snow melt slows, or is that now doing more harm than good(stiff/frozen sandbags make bad dikes)?

Not making them fast enough. Difficult to pack frozen sandbags...the cold front coming is more bad news.

I heard an interesting story.

Wahpeton and Grand Forks paid money for flood levee stuff (the words escape me). Fargo tried but was defeated by a bunch of homeowners who didn't want it passing through their property.

Is it ok for me, on behalf of my parents who still live in Fargo, to laugh at those bozos if their houses flood?

Seriously, though, I wonder how much trouble Fargo would really be in had those flood prevention measures been built.

When you say, "Wahpeton and Grand Forks paid money" for flood levees, you are off-base. I wouldn't be surprised if Fargo spent more of its own tax money on flood control than GF has since 1997 - what Fargo didn't get is $400 million from the state and feds. I guess you can't get money for flood control until after you have a 500-year flood.

BTW, after waiting 12 years, Fargo is finally supposed to be getting the updated flood plain maps from FEMA... in June. By then, there's a good chance we'll know firsthand where the flood plain is.

You know what I dont get in this corrupt country

We bail out all these companys with BILLIONS of dollars, CEOS are getting millions of dollars of bonus's form these bail outs

Obama jsut spent almost a trillion and when its all said and done, its supposed to endup to being liek 3.5 trilliong

they cant even spare 400 million or 500 million to fargo to protect the city and tons of house holds from a flood

if this flood hits fargo hard, i EXPECT obama or whoever is running this government to pay every cent of damage.

You know what I dont get in this corrupt country

We bail out all these companys with BILLIONS of dollars, CEOS are getting millions of dollars of bonus's form these bail outs

Obama jsut spent almost a trillion and when its all said and done, its supposed to endup to being liek 3.5 trilliong

they cant even spare 400 million or 500 million to fargo to protect the city and tons of house holds from a flood

if this flood hits fargo hard, i EXPECT obama or whoever is running this government to pay every cent of damage.

This might've been discussed here before but IMO the fire was maybe the best thing that happened to Grand Forks during the flood because then everyone was paying attention and the government HAD to do something.

After looking at some forecast maps, it appears that this wet trend won't lift for at least 2 weeks bringing rain and more SNOW with below freezing temperatures. And not just a sprinkle here and there, serious amounts of precipitation. This is really shaping up to be bad. However, forecasting models are only so accurate so far out and this should be taken with a grain of salt. I only wish I could go to Fargo and help, but I'm stuck here in GF because I'm behind on my senior project. All you going down there throw an extra bag or two for me, to pick up my slack :lol:

When you say, "Wahpeton and Grand Forks paid money" for flood levees, you are off-base. I wouldn't be surprised if Fargo spent more of its own tax money on flood control than GF has since 1997 - what Fargo didn't get is $400 million from the state and feds. I guess you can't get money for flood control until after you have a 500-year flood.

BTW, after waiting 12 years, Fargo is finally supposed to be getting the updated flood plain maps from FEMA... in June. By then, there's a good chance we'll know firsthand where the flood plain is.

Grand Forks local share is $83 million...

Cost Estimate: $409 million total (Grand Forks, ND and East Grand Forks, MN)

Cost for recreational features: $22 million

Federal cost share: $203 million

Local (GF) cost share: $135 million*

*State of North Dakota is funding 45% of Grand Forks cost share up to $52 million

Local (EGF) cost share: $ 65 million (majority funding from the State of Minnesota)

My house sits a little lower than my neighbor's house. When I went out this afternoon, I noticed that he had his hose (I"m guessing from his sump pump) stuck through his fence onto my property. The water was running onto the dirt next to my driveway and some was running down the driveway toward the street. Is this going to increase the water seepage into my basement? I'm going back to AK in a couple of days so even if I tell him to knock it off, once I'm gone, I have no control over what he's doing. Is there a city ordinance to keep him from doing this?

Pretty sure all residential sump-pump discharge has to go to an outdoor city sewer drain. Running it on to your property because "most" of it will drain (eventually) to the street is a no-no. He needs a longer hose....talk to him or if you need someone to watch it while you're gone - pm me - I'd be happy to watch it since I'm stuck here anyway. I know we don't know each other but I'm happy to offer - up to you...)