SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Flood

jloos

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you not be able to set up a dyke system around both East Grand Forks and Grand Forks? You just have to keep on building around both cities fast enough to keep both of them as dry islands. Then again, I have heard somebody mention that an emergency channel like what Winnipeg has would take a lot of pressure off of the levees around the cities. More room for more water to head north.

They planned for that but MN said no, the channel would have went through 100 miles of sugar beet farmland, and put a bridge every 15 miles on the Minnesota said all the way to the border.

Regardless of my/our outcome, the people of this city and area...especially the youth, need to be recognized for the effort they put forth to try to save this city/area. Also a huge thank you to those who risked their own safety to come here to help from other cities and states.

Take time today to hug your spouse and kids and tell them you love them because as we are finding out very quickly, very little else matters in the big picture!

Best Post of the Year....!

Good Luck to you Oxbow, bottom line is that the people of North Dakota are true and geniune. Our thoughts continue to be with you.

Hey, guys.

I'm only a rare poster to this forum...since I really don't like your team. :D

Can someone share or email the contact info for your local charities that are helping folks out in this thing? I'd also like to post the info on GPL.

I'd like to help - but not via the Red Cross - since, as a San Antonio resident who volunteered in the Katrina shelters, I know how challenged they can be sometimes.

Really poignant piece from CNN:

CNN Commentary: Fargo's Faith Cannot Be Destroyed

In Fargo, North Dakota, the word "destruction" is being spoken. The reference is to the potential power of the feared floodwaters.

But even if the outcome is as dire as the starkest of predictions -- even if the Red River overflows its banks to an extent and for a duration never before seen in Fargo -- the things that truly matter in town will not be destroyed.

Proof of that is evident. Once in a great while, a community has the opportunity to understand anew what that word -- "community" -- really means; once in a while, a town defines itself as a town. The week just past has been such a time for Fargo.

And then comes a moment when the essence of community, in its bedrock definition, is required, and we witness it as it unfolds, person by person, minute by minute. They don't know in Fargo whether, in the end, they will have vanquished the river.

If you've ever been to that part of the upper Midwest, you are aware that self-sufficiency is one of the defining qualities of the lives the people lead. They have grown up knowing it has to be that way.

Most Americans seldom pass through North Dakota. The families who live there have long understood that when something important needs to be done, they'd better count on doing it themselves. There is a pride in that that, although not often expressed aloud, is part of the air itself.

In the 3

CodeRED alert issued for sandbag volunteers in north Fargo

North Fargo volunteers desperately needed to fill and place sandbags immediately, according to a CodeRED alert issued moments ago.

All volunteers should walk to 120 North Woodcrest Drive, where city staff will be dropping off sandbags, according to a recording by Fargo Police Lt. Gene Anderson.

"Volunteers are desperately needed," the recording said.

This was sent to me at about 6:30pm. If you're around and can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

CodeRED alert issued for sandbag volunteers in north Fargo

This was sent to me at about 6:30pm. If you're around and can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

The dike needed some repairs - they already fixed it and sent the volunteers home.

No more volunteers are needed unless a similar situation comes up.

They are evacuating the Moorhead Country Club area - not far from me.

Just got back from Sandbag Central in Grand Forks, and I have a cool story to share....

I had a couple of guys join my line as we were tossing bags into the pile. I came to find out that they were from Northwestern in Minneapolis, part of a group of 75 who traveled up in two buses to volunteer.

When I asked them where they were staying, they told me that they weren't staying anywhere; the buses would pick them back up again at 10 am and they would be headed back to the Cities.

Dave

I live in a south Fargo home in the Meadow Creek develop...what went on this past week is nothing short of unbelieveable. We are still not in the clear by no means. Both Fargo & Moorhead are built to 43 ft...hopefully everything holds.

It's going to be great to watch some Sioux hockey this afternoon...GO SIOUX

Not a deeply religious guy, but do believe in God. Allot of us have been there and experienced this. This gives one a idea of how hard these fights are 97 or 09. I am continually amazed and inspired by the strength and resolve of all our Midwestern neighbors, friends and families.......and today is Sunday (so I posted it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guQB_-Nper4

This morning I read that the river has crested and is in retreat, according to hydrologists. Hopefully, this disaster subsides and causes minimal damage over the next week or so. The rest of the country is on your side, rooting for the folks in Fargo and Moorhead.

One of my favorite radio shows in the Neal Boortz show, which you can listen to online here.

Neal has in his program notes a Fargo vs. New Orleans comparison. Neal lives in Atlanta, but said if he had a choice of living in Fargo or New Orleans, he would pick Fargo. He likes the non-victim lifestyle of Fargo.

Fargo vs New Orleans

He has mentioned the comparison frequently this morning.