SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Flood

jloos

Pretty sure all residential sump-pump discharge has to go to an outdoor city sewer drain. Running it on to your property because "most" of it will drain (eventually) to the street is a no-no. He needs a longer hose....talk to him or if you need someone to watch it while you're gone - pm me - I'd be happy to watch it since I'm stuck here anyway. I know we don't know each other but I'm happy to offer - up to you...)

Thanks, I'll talk to them today and see how it goes. I'll get back to you.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure all residential sump-pump discharge has to go to an outdoor city sewer drain. Running it on to your property because "most" of it will drain (eventually) to the street is a no-no. He needs a longer hose....talk to him or if you need someone to watch it while you're gone - pm me - I'd be happy to watch it since I'm stuck here anyway. I know we don't know each other but I'm happy to offer - up to you...)

I think all the crawls I've seen on TV in the last couple of days ask residents in cities fighting the good fight to send sump pump discharge into the STREET, and specifically NOT into the storm sewers.

I think all the crawls I've seen on TV in the last couple of days ask residents in cities fighting the good fight to send sump pump discharge into the STREET, and specifically NOT into the storm sewers.

I believe there's a city ordinance against putting sump discharge into the sanitary sewer system. It's supposed to go into the storm sewers.

Ok, so I am not an engineer! but I have seen an episode or two of mythbusters (kinda like staying at a holiday inn express :lol: ) and I have a question for some of the really smart people that I know produce and lurk on this site. Could something like a series of giant Fresnel lens' be used to quickly melt ice jams on rivers? (I would guess there are lasers that could do the same kind of thing also??) but perhaps the use of Fresnel lens' would be cheaper, portable, and potentially less destructive to infrastructure.

**not trying to be off topic--am concerned about ice jams, especially after today's events in Crookston.

On behalf of my program and the great students who work for me, I just dropped a donation of work gloves and socks off at the Student Government Office in the Union. If you are like me (i.e. old and weak) and you can't actively help UND's students sandbag our neighbors down south, would you consider if there's some other way you can help? At the very least, let's let our kids know how proud we are of the way they have pitched in. Thank you, students!!

We have been very blessed by the students of NDSU and MSU-M in our neighborhood. Kudos to those from UND making the trip down to help as well. Our dike should be done by tonight at a 42' level. So far, so good...

My house sits a little lower than my neighbor's house. When I went out this afternoon, I noticed that he had his hose (I"m guessing from his sump pump) stuck through his fence onto my property. The water was running onto the dirt next to my driveway and some was running down the driveway toward the street. Is this going to increase the water seepage into my basement? I'm going back to AK in a couple of days so even if I tell him to knock it off, once I'm gone, I have no control over what he's doing. Is there a city ordinance to keep him from doing this?
Your best bet maybe just offer him another hosed to have to make sure he's not dumping it into your property.

Also, with the freezing temps. Wouldn't it be better for the dike reinforcements if the sandbags freeze once they're all in place?? If so, it might even be smart to soak the bags a little afterwords just to make them just a little more watertight.

I believe there's a city ordinance against putting sump discharge into the sanitary sewer system. It's supposed to go into the storm sewers..

I called the city and there is definitely an ordinance against dumping your sump discharge onto someone else's property. I also talked to my neighbor and told him, not asked, to stop!! He said, "It's draining into the street." I told him it was soaking into the dirt where it's landing. The city inspector's office will be making unannounced visits to my property for a couple of weeks. They can't send him a letter telling him to stop this practice until they actually see the water being dumped next to my driveway. I should have taken pictures! Water is going to be a problem for longer than a couple of weeks, seepage will still be going on after the crest. I'm going to have some friends check on the house after I'm gone.

Thanks all for your input!!

Your best bet maybe just offer him another hosed to have to make sure he's not dumping it into your property.

Also, with the freezing temps. Wouldn't it be better for the dike reinforcements if the sandbags freeze once they're all in place?? If so, it might even be smart to soak the bags a little afterwords just to make them just a little more watertight.

We are at the point in the year where things are warming too much for that to happen. Temps going below freezing only slows melting. Anything like a sandbag pile will not refreeze except maybe the very outer layer. We'd have to have a long period of temps significantly below freezing to have that happen.

I went over to the Fargodome today and there were buses lined up from UND. The story about the guy who came down and didn't get much done sucks, and it's probably not the only case. I would bet that those homeowners that are desperately fighting the clock appreciate every person, even if they only were able to help a little bit. I don't know how many came down but there had to be a lot of them to take that many buses.

Looks like Fargo is on their own today, at least as far as the northern valley is concerned. With no school it seems that none of the buses are running. I don't even think the city of GF is sending any from Alerus Center.

I know the GF high schools were sending 10 buses. EGF was sending a few but those weren't for sure going to Fargo. Maybe they'll go tomorrow?

Ya know... you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. :lol:

Was this your first ever interaction with that neighbor? I hope not, because you know what they say about first impressions.

I can answer that for Sioux-cia.

This isn't the first interaction she's had with her neighbor. She's lived there for many years, and has put up with lots of crap.

Ya know... you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. :lol:

Was this your first ever interaction with that neighbor? I hope not, because you know what they say about first impressions.

Sorry, but I would have "told" him the same thing or just thrown the hose back to him. If honey catches bees what was her neighbor trying to catch by pumping HIS water to THEIR yard. And if this was the first impression at least it won't happen twice.

The NWS is now predicting the crest for Grand Forks will be between 50 and 53 feet. At what level does the Kennedy bridge have to be closed?

EDIT: According to the city's website, at 52.6 feet there is water on the Gateway Drive approach on the MN side.

The NWS is now predicting the crest for Grand Forks will be between 50 and 53 feet. At what level does the Kennedy bridge have to be closed?

EDIT: According to the city's website, at 52.6 feet there is water on the Gateway Drive approach on the MN side.

We lose alot of Homes along the outskirts of the City (GF County) at 52-53 Feet......(sad)

according to a news cast I saw earlier this week, Kennedy closes at 50 ft.

This may be a bit of a long shot what with everyone needing help.

My sister and brother-in-law, huge fans, are fighting like dogs out at 10012 6th Street Court,

south of Fargo, just east of the Wild Rice Bar. He was on the front page of the Herald a few days

ago when the Sioux students came out to lend a hand.

If anyone in the Fargo area is looking to pitch in tonight, go give Johnny V. a hand throwing more sandbags. They will take well care of you. Their house number is 701.293.7802.

Thanks.

according to a news cast I saw earlier this week, Kennedy closes at 50 ft.

If that's accurate, GF and EGF could be cut off from each other for several days.

The crest at Grand Forks, protected to 60 feet, could come as early as Monday. When the crest does arrive, it will stick around.