SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 WCHA FINAL 5

AZSIOUX

I agree that UND has a major advantage with not having to play, but there is just something that happens to the gophers when they are playing behind that XCEL energy center crowd that gets them going. Last year I thought SCSU had a great chance to beat them.....nope.....Then CC came in as a team that should have skated around Minnesota and put up a huge number on the scoreboard....nope... I think what really stopped the gophers last year at the F5 was that they ran out of gas against Denver, because they outplayed the pios for large quantities of that hockey game and just didn't have enough at the end. And the fact that the Denver game was the the first time the bounces really didn't go their way (Bozak's goal)

The bounces will be key. If the gophs get them like last year (SCSU, CC) they could easily be playing in the title game once again. I'd love to see UND vs. Duluth on Friday night, but my head and my heart tell me it will be round three of the Sioux and the Gophers.

I'm calling a Kangas SHUTOUT!!!! ;)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if the opponents outplay us, outshoot us, etc. As long as we win that's all that matters. What you said is key, good teams find a way to win -- which is what we have done time and time again this season. I don't care if we play the worst game of our lives as long as we win.

Obviously in the playoffs you'd rather win than play great and lose. However, last year the Sioux faltered in the playoffs, beginning with MTU, and they really only played one good game the rest of the way, against CC in the third-place game. Seriously, Princeton skated circles around the Sioux. It was a sign of what was to come against BC.

So while I of course hope the Sioux continue to win, I hope they look good doing it, because that will be a sign of what's coming.

Obviously in the playoffs you'd rather win than play great and lose. However, last year the Sioux faltered in the playoffs, beginning with MTU, and they really only played one good game the rest of the way, against CC in the third-place game. Seriously, Princeton skated circles around the Sioux. It was a sign of what was to come against BC.

So while I of course hope the Sioux continue to win, I hope they look good doing it, because that will be a sign of what's coming.

They just previewed the Final Five on FSN during the Wild/Blues intermission. I got a good laugh when they called Kangas one of the best goalies in the country. ;)

Kangas is one of the best goaltenders in the country. He's better than every backup goaltender in DI, every goaltender in DII/DIII, every Canadian University goaltender, most of the goaltenders in the ECACHL, all of the goaltenders in the CHA and perhaps the AHA (Air Force might be the only exception), every goaltender in junior B, and every adult beer league.

So... I can see their point. :lol:

As for keys for UND:

1. No standing around. Play hard, play physical, and get off shots will produce victories.

2. Stay out of the box. Seriously, our PK took a nosedive this weekend. That means we must stay out of the box or we'll see our Final Five end early.

3. Stay fundamentally sound. This is hard when the ice conditions suck, but when we go up against finesse passing teams like Minny, we need to be crisp.

4. Keep to our game.

Maddenistic key:

** Keep the other team's scoring chances to a minimum. If they get more chances to score than we do, they may end up winning the game ** ;)

If you end up playing tDogs, you are definitely going to need to stay out of the box. UMD's powerplay clocked in at 40% against CC, and has been near the top in the country all year.

CC could not score 5x5; both of their goals came with the extra man.

Basically, a good clean game is what both teams need to keep the score close. Hopefully we will see you Friday night!

Basically, a good clean game is what both teams need to keep the score close. Hopefully we will see you Friday night!

The game will be close but UMD is not the draw I wanted for the Gophers. Unless Stalock gives up softies like he did at Mariucci I'd say UMD will take the game.

The game will be close but UMD is not the draw I wanted for the Gophers. Unless Stalock gives up softies like he did at Mariucci I'd say UMD will take the game.

He didn't really give up softies, so much as get hung out to dry by the lack of backchecking. Most of the goals he gave up he didn't have much of a chance on.

I am thinking some of the Gopher fans are over looking UMD.

I would. I mean didn't you hear? Kangas is back! With a 3-game winning streak to prove it. Beating SCSU twice and Tech once to compile that win streak....UMD really doesn't stand a chance. :lol:;)

I'm hoping UMD does win. I wouldn't mind if we had to see the Gophers again but I'd actually like to see a UMD//UND semifinal match especially since we didn't have the greatest series against them earlier in the season.

I would. I mean didn't you hear? Kangas is back! With a 3-game winning streak to prove it. Beating SCSU twice and Tech once to compile that win streak....UMD really doesn't stand a chance. :sad::lol:

I'm hoping UMD does win. I wouldn't mind if we had to see the Gophers again but I'd actually like to see a UMD//UND semifinal match especially since we didn't have the greatest series against them earlier in the season.

The Goofs will likely lack motivation, especially now that they are guaranteed to get into the big dance...:)...If the sub-.500 Badgers made it in last year (at Madison) there's no way Minny doesn't get in...Go Dogs!!

Again, UW got in last year due to the pwr, not because they hosted the regional. The committee went 100% by the pwr last year, it just so happened that UW had the right wins against the right opponents. Record is only a part of RPI, it is not the determinant.

BC and UW are legitimate threats at winning their conference tourneys. IF they do, only the top 12 in PWR will get in. MN will have to win 2 games at the five to be on the right side of the bubble.

Again, UW got in last year due to the pwr, not because they hosted the regional. The committee went 100% by the pwr last year, it just so happened that UW had the right wins against the right opponents. Record is only a part of RPI, it is not the determinant.

BC and UW are legitimate threats at winning their conference tourneys. IF they do, only the top 12 in PWR will get in. MN will have to win 2 games at the five to be on the right side of the bubble.

exactly, its all numbers and it worked out with who thye had beat. there isnt a perfect system but this is a solid way to determine seed.

I'm betting if BC and/or UW wins their conference tourney, their PWR will have them in the top 14 anyway. I'm thinking that Air Force will probably be close to the top 14 too(if they win their tourney), which would then allow a #15 to get in.

Need some clarification. Fargo Forum has UND playing in EITHER game on Friday depending on the winner of Thurs. game. Is UND locked into the 7:07 pm game on Friday or not??

Yes, 1 vs 4/5 is Friday night, unless MN is a 2/3 and wins, which they are not (not sure this rule is in effect, but this year it doesn't matter)

I am thinking some of the Gopher fans are over looking UMD.

I am getting that impression as well, I'm not overlooking them one bit. They without a doubt have one of the best goalies and getting them on the small sheet will be to their advantage I think. I'm not quite on the Kangas bandwagon yet, yeah he has 3 wins in a row against Tech and SCSU, not exactly powerhouse teams their either. The "D" was FINALLY performing this past weekend against SCSU, if they can keep up that effort I'll feel a bit better, but it's been so inconsistant lately I'm not really holding my breath.

Is it Thursday yet, I'm ready to get this Final Five started!!!!!!

Man, one of the best Final 5 line ups in year and I'm going to be stuck in Mexico! :lol: I guess it could be worse. :sad:

Quite the sports weekend for all of North Dakota! Hopefully I can find a sports bar so I can watch the games. With UND and NDSU down North Dakotans will be doing their best to revive the twin cities economy.

Man, one of the best Final 5 line ups in year and I'm going to be stuck in Mexico! :lol: I guess it could be worse. :sad:

Quite the sports weekend for all of North Dakota! Hopefully I can find a sports bar so I can watch the games. With UND and NDSU down North Dakotans will be doing their best to revive the twin cities economy.

I suppose you're stuck in Cancun? :)

For anybody still looking for tickets, they are still available.

If you want two or more you'll have to be in the upper deck, but if you're looking for a single, there are still at least a few in the lower level. Still a few 1st row lower level, too, some of them behind the nets.

This morning I grabbed a 9th row center ice seat. I'm sure there are more in that area available. Just make sure not to select "best available", but rather give them criteria (sides, corner, ends) when you request the tickets on ticketmaster.com.