SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

I really hope that the US doesn't lose to Czech Republic. They can't hit the net, can't control the puck along the boards, and constantly go for the home run pass which never connects and then just ends up as icing.

That said, Canada looks pretty good. Tavares is killing it out there so far.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree with Cherry too...

I don't like Don Cherry.

Don Cherry would like to see the NHL go more to a system similar to MJ. 90% Canadians and 10% Imports. And you can forget about college hockey. I doubt Cherry can even name a single current NCAA player, NHL draftee or otherwise.

On the flip side, I think Russia agrees with Don Cherry as well. After all, they did form the (now-floundering) KHL.

If they were truly serious about stopping the NHL from taking Europeans (and Russians) over to North America, the Russians would try to seriously start an international professional hockey league and woo such countries as the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Germany into joining.

I don't like Don Cherry.

Don Cherry would like to see the NHL go more to a system similar to MJ. 90% Canadians and 10% Imports. And you can forget about college hockey. I doubt Cherry can even name a single current NCAA player, NHL draftee or otherwise.

On the flip side, I think Russia agrees with Don Cherry as well. After all, they did form the (now-floundering) KHL.

If they were truly serious about stopping the NHL from taking Europeans (and Russians) over to North America, the Russians would try to seriously start an international professional hockey league and woo such countries as the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Germany into joining.

Actually every spring Cherry has some Draft prospects on his coaches corner and Cherry has had the NCAA prospects well he had Phil Kessel on one year and I believe he also had Erik Johnson on there as well.

Actually every spring Cherry has some Draft prospects on his coaches corner and Cherry has had the NCAA prospects well he had Phil Kessel on one year and I believe he also had Erik Johnson on there as well.

Right. He had them on because they are billed as top first round picks.

I really hope that the US doesn't lose to Czech Republic. They can't hit the net, can't control the puck along the boards, and constantly go for the home run pass which never connects and then just ends up as icing.

yeah, have fun slowing down tavares and espisito and company. schroeder, jvr and wilson better be able to match them scoring wise with the D holding their own. wow canada is damn good, usa looked solid as well. kind of funny in the end its NCAA vs MAJOR JUNIOR if usa and canada meet up like it has been for many years. excpet the usa goalies :ohmy:

kristo did a hell of a job on the PK and the kid can flat out fly out there. they are saying he may be the fastest player in the whole tourney. cant wait to see him with mattson and cichy next season wit whoever else they add.

Tavares knows how to pick his spots but the most exciting player to watch on the team is Ennis. Hopefully Canada didn't lose their top shutdown player to a fracture last night. Della Rovere blocked a shot with his foot or ankle and it didn't look good.

I think we can thank the Europeans and former soviet states for the style of play we now have in the NHL. Not that long ago, NHL hockey was fantastic during the playoffs but sucked IMO during most of the regular season. The rules changes that have emphasized speed and finesse were made partly to facilitate more European style hockey. Canada is the heart and soul of the game, but other countries deserve credit for some important improvements.

I think we can thank the Europeans and former soviet states for the style of play we now have in the NHL. Not that long ago, NHL hockey was fantastic during the playoffs but sucked IMO during most of the regular season. The rules changes that have emphasized speed and finesse were made partly to facilitate more European style hockey. Canada is the heart and soul of the game, but other countries deserve credit for some important improvements.

Sadly today's Canadian players know how to do the European I've been shot fall to the ice when someone touches them. You can add giving someone a glove face wash or some stickwork and then running away to that pathetic list as well. Another European favorite, the knee on knee hit has become much more prevalent in our game.

In a recent interview Gordie Howe revealed that his biggest nemesis was Milt Schmidt of the Bruins however he added that after every bone jarring hit Schmidt would ask him if he was okay. There is no longer this type of respect for each other amongst professional hockey players so yeah I think some other countries definitely deserve some credit.

Schroeder's ppg gives the US a 1-0 lead after one. Czechs did everything but score in the first 10 minutes, US is lucky to have the lead.

Looks like Sioux Habit in his Sioux jersey is behind the US bench, but I don't think Kristo is in the lineup tonight, at least I haven't seen him, and I've been looking. Hope Habit is giving the US coaches an earful. :sad:

Edit: Did see Kristo on the bench but haven't seen him on the ice. He was a regular on the PK vs Germany, but hasn't been on it tonight. Czechs tie it at 1 in the second.

Schroeder's ppg gives the US a 1-0 lead after one. Czechs did everything but score in the first 10 minutes, US is lucky to have the lead.

Looks like Sioux Habit in his Sioux jersey is behind the US bench, but I don't think Kristo is in the lineup tonight, at least I haven't seen him, and I've been looking. Hope Habit is giving the US coaches an earful. :sad:

Edit: Did see Kristo on the bench but haven't seen him on the ice. He was a regular on the PK vs Germany, but hasn't been on it tonight. Czechs tie it at 1 in the second.

That was me and I did give the coach a piece of my mind in the third period. Team USA was losing races to the puck and could have used Kristo's speed instead of him sitting on the bench as the 13th forward. I know he heard me because he muttered something my way. Schroeder and VanRiemsdyk are very talented forwards and McDonough is a talented D and it was those three players alone that managed to salvage the win because the rest of the supporting cast didn't show up. I will cut Wilson some slack as he appears to be playing with a broken hand.

As for fans at the game, where is the USA support. There were three tiny little pools of USA supporters, probably the parents. I can tell you that there were at least 4 x the number of Czech fans with their faces painted and wearing their jerseys and they were a loud bunch.

One thing that needs to be looked at by the IIHF is the absolute BLOWN CALL on the U.S. empty net goal. That play was clearly onsides, and it nearly cost the U.S. in the end as they survived a major flurry. Whoever the bozo linesman was on that play shouldn't see the ice for the rest of the tournament, or should head over to France or wherever the relegation round is being played. The hockey coach in me completely has no time for brutal officiating, and when I see a call like that one it just boils my blood even more.

You're hearing it here first, Canada will be on the powerplay more than the U.S. will when the two teams meet on Wednesday night.

BTW Schroeder had a helluva game for the U.S. The kid should be in the NHL next year. :sad: