SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

That wouldn't be me as I am rooting for the KHL to succeed. The more Russians that go back to play their Pro Hockey in Russia the better.

I'm not that extreme.

I think what we saw with Malkin and AO in Grand Forks and etc. was a side effect of the old time Russian Olympic and other international team mentality. They are trained (not taught) to think they are superior to the Western capitalist pigdogs, as it may. They buy into the hype and they don't care if everyone else learns about it.

Sportsmanship is a WESTERN concept that only some European nations buy into. The Russians have NEVER truly bought into it. It's gotten somewhat better over time, but it is still there.

I don't know. I'm no fan of Team Russia, but I can't imagine what the NHL would have been like without Sergei Federov, Alexander Mogilny, Evgeni Nabokov, Igor Larionov, etc.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not that extreme.

I think what we saw with Malkin and AO in Grand Forks and etc. was a side effect of the old time Russian Olympic and other international team mentality. They are trained (not taught) to think they are superior to the Western capitalist pigdogs, as it may. They buy into the hype and they don't care if everyone else learns about it.

Sportsmanship is a WESTERN concept that only some European nations buy into. The Russians have NEVER truly bought into it. It's gotten somewhat better over time, but it is still there.

I don't know. I'm no fan of Team Russia, but I can't imagine what the NHL would have been like without Sergei Federov, Alexander Mogilny, Evgeni Nabokov, Igor Larionov, etc.

I can imagine it quite well. I have watched great hockey players like Bayda, Goren and, big gulp, even some former Gophers who did not get a fair chance at an NHL career because unlike the Russians they don't get one way contracts and are the ones who get sent to minors instead when things don't go well. North American players still give their all in the NHL whereas you never know what you are going to get from Russians from one night to another let alone a season. Mogilny and Fedorov were certainly that way and tell me what you think of Kovalev, Samsonov, Kovalchuk etc.

If you like Malkin over Canadians, recall who did all the smack talking as he skated past the Team USA bench in Grand Forks. If he had bolted Russia as a teen I am certain he would have been a Gopher.

Gimme a break. In the finals the Canadians gooned Ovechkin and took him out of the game. I lived in DC, saw him a lot with the Caps and have met him in person a couple of times. The NHL wishes it had more Alex Ovechkins. He plays hard at both ends of the ice and isn't afraid to hit people. So he was a little cocky against the US. That's certainly not something limited to the Russian athletes. I suppose he could be a class act like that fine Canadian Sean Avery. ???

Gimme a break. In the finals the Canadians gooned Ovechkin and took him out of the game. I lived in DC, saw him a lot with the Caps and have met him in person a couple of times. The NHL wishes it had more Alex Ovechkins. He plays hard at both ends of the ice and isn't afraid to hit people. So he was a little cocky against the US. That's certainly not something limited to the Russian athletes. I suppose he could be a class act like that fine Canadian Sean Avery. ???

Every major sport has it's athletes with personality disorders and problems and I think Sean Avery has a long way to go before he can ever match certain USA stars in other pro sports ie basketball.

You also have a short memory as it was a clean shoulder check by one Jonathan Toews that knocked Ovechkin out of the game. Ovechkin was too busy admiring a pass he had just made.

I can imagine it quite well. I have watched great hockey players like Bayda, Goren and, big gulp, even some former Gophers who did not get a fair chance at an NHL career because unlike the Russians they don't get one way contracts and are the ones who get sent to minors instead when things don't go well. North American players still give their all in the NHL whereas you never know what you are going to get from Russians from one night to another let alone a season. Mogilny and Fedorov were certainly that way and tell me what you think of Kovalev, Samsonov, Kovalchuk etc.

Please. You honestly think that there aren't some NA skaters who were hyped and didn't turn out at all like the hype suggest?

Federov is extremely talented and still has the skills to play in the NHL despite being what... 60?

Kovalev isn't as good as his hype suggests. Neither is Samsonov, though one could argue that he hasn't exactly been in a place where excellence was expected of him. Only lately has Boston pulled their heads out of their tails.

Ilya Kovalchuk is a great hockey player who is destined for mediocrity for however long it is he remains with a lackluster team such as Atlanta (or is it Columbus? Who cares, either one it makes no difference).

It's not too dissimilar to the situation with Gaborik. He may be a bust due to health concerns, but I can't help but think what his numbers would be like if he were with a team like Pittsburgh or Detroit or San Jose....

A line of Malkin, Crosby, and Kovalchuk/Gaborik....wow.

Besides, who knows what the NHL would be like for Goren, Panzer, Bayda, etc. if there were no Russians... Those vacated spots could end up filled by MJ players. You never know.

Every major sport has it's athletes with personality disorders and problems and I think Sean Avery has a long way to go before he can ever match certain USA stars in other pro sports ie basketball.

You also have a short memory as it was a clean shoulder check by one Jonathan Toews that knocked Ovechkin out of the game. Ovechkin was too busy admiring a pass he had just made.

Sorry, but Toews did not play for Team Canada's World Junior team in 2005 in Grand Forks.

I think you'll actually like Schroeder when he gets out of his Gophers/USA sweaters. The guy plays far more like Parise than Kessel.

team usa is going to need him to step up like parise did that one year if usa wants to contend with canada and the others top guns

team usa is going to need him to step up like parise did that one year if usa wants to contend with canada and the others top guns

If we are going to compete with Canada it will come down to our defense and goaltending playing at or above the best of their abilities. Hopefully it is just my lack of familiarity, but our blueline doesn't impress me compared to the Carle, Stuart, and Suter blueline with that Parise team or the EJ/JJ blueline.

I think you'll actually like Schroeder when he gets out of his Gophers/USA sweaters. The guy plays far more like Parise than Kessel.

I will let you know what I think. For the 28 Dec game against the Czechs I will be sitting in the fourth row behind the players benches, so I hope he isn't intimidated by the Sioux Jersey I will be wearing for both the benefit of Kristo and the TV broadcast. :ohmy:

From what I have seen of him I would agree. He is a very good two way player. He would easily be a high first round pick in the draft next year if he was 6' or bigger. I remember seeing him in the MNHS tourney as an 8th grader.

usa beats russia 5-1 in their final tune up game

usa russia tune up game

if we end up playing michigan in that 2nd game they will be missing a big gun in Aaron Palushaj who had a hatty vs russia and matt rust

kristo didnt show in the stats so not sure if he played or not

Barring any unforeseen injuries or upsets there are three teams in this tournament that will compete for the three medals, Canada, USA and Sweden. I will concede that USA has the best crop of forwards in this tournament but I really like the Canadian blueline and role players. Della Rovere will be as hated as Downie by the end of the tournament. Both teams also have strong goaltending. As for the Swedes they are a well balanced team as well and can't be taken lightly but I will predict a Canada-USA final showdown that is decided in overtime or a shootout.

Finally Kristo had better play on 28 Dec or the Team USA coaches are going to hear about it directly from me. :ohmy:

Barring any unforeseen injuries or upsets there are three teams in this tournament that will compete for the three medals, Canada, USA and Sweden. I will concede that USA has the best crop of forwards in this tournament but I really like the Canadian blueline and role players. Della Rovere will be as hated as Downie by the end of the tournament. Both teams also have strong goaltending. As for the Swedes they are a well balanced team as well and can't be taken lightly but I will predict a Canada-USA final showdown that is decided in overtime or a shootout.

Finally Kristo had better play on 28 Dec or the Team USA coaches are going to hear about it directly from me. :ohmy:

Then Della might want to take note of Downie. The analysts had Downie pegged to make the Philly roster before "the hit" on who was it... McAmmond? Since then, he's been traded and hasn't stuck in the NHL yet.

Not saying he won't, but so far, that type of player hasn't done well as of late... Another example is Hollweg of the Maple Leafs, though he may be sticking around for longer than Downie.