SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

Team Canada was good, but they played cheap.

Heck, Sweden played cheap too.

In fact, I'm not sure I can remember both sides having cheap players so prominent in a gold medal or clinching game.

Della whatever his name is was a liability for Team Canada yet he still got game time.

The Swedish goaltender was a flopper and gets too emotional.

I'm not impressed with the sportsmanship displayed in this game at all.

However, there were a few players that impressed me.

Canada's goaltender was amazing. I wonder if he's drafted?

Swedish defenseman named Torp (#6 IIRC). I thought he reminded me of a slightly less talented Lidstrom.

I didn't think much positive or negative of the Swedish Dman who won best Dman of the tourney.

Hodgson was good.

Team Canada can forecheck and had great special teams.

Sweden's special teams were almost Sioux-esque with their atrociousness. However, Sweden put their country's best on the team... that speaks a lot.

Sweden's goaltender would be a TON better if he'd stop flopping around and embellishing. I loved Hasek too except he made flopping famous.

I can not stand Canadian fans. Yeah, they are really into the game. No casual fans at all. However, they aren't very sportsmanlike and they certainly are disrespectful. They were lucky Hedman didn't win an award. they would have looked foolish booing.

The announcers were Canada homers.

I have seen much better gold medal games.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very cool thing every time O Canada is played at a hockey game because EVERYONE sings along! Just think how awesome that would be if people in the US had enough pride to learn the words to our anthem AND sing along with it when it played! I don't know many people that know the words to the Star Spangled Banner, and I know even less people who sing along to it.

Do you hang out with strictly 2nd graders?

:D

I was going to say, who doesn't know the words? Just because we choose not to sing it, doesn't mean we don't know the words. Everyone has traditions, I choose to honor my country by singing the song in my head while thinking about the pride I have for my country. Pride, such as not cheering for another country against my own in an international competition just because a significant other of mine is from that country and I'm a sell out. :D

I sat down with him, Wayne Gretzky and 2 others when the tournament was in Grand Forks and bought them a beer. I could hardly speak when talking with Gretzky.

I played hockey with Wayne Gretzky's son and two of his friends at University Park when the WJC was in GF. That was pretty cool, he was a nice kid...

Not ripping on the kid, he was ok, but he was certainly no Wayne Gretzky on the ice. Although he was better than Gretzky (Kauk's friend). :D

I was going to say, who doesn't know the words? Just because we choose not to sing it, doesn't mean we don't know the words. Everyone has traditions, I choose to honor my country by singing the song in my head while thinking about the pride I have for my country. Pride, such as not cheering for another country against my own in an international competition just because a significant other of mine is from that country and I'm a sell out. :D

I will partially side with "Budlight" on the anthem thing.

The words thing is ridiculous. Everyone in my section sang along all my years at UND. We just don't sing at the top of our lungs like Canadians do.

Where I side with her is that, words or not, Canadian anthem singers know how to sign the anthem right. I've NEVER heard a singer use O Canada as an American or Canadian Idol audition like I've heard the National Anthem.

I like O Canada, but mainly because the respect the singers give it rather than the words necessarily.

Our anthem singers, many times, are a joke. Case in point: Go back to Thanksgiving and listen to the singers who sang to open the Lions game and the other early game.

Awful.

Enough ripping on me just because I was cheering for a team other than my own country. I do not cheer for the US team when they have played as horrible as they have the last few years. I don't need to have pride in a horrible hockey program that needs to get its crap together. I cheer for Canada because they are THE hockey country and they should win the tournament every year. I mean, they did pretty much invent the sport.

Congratulations to Canada on their win. They had a helluva lot of talent on the team this year, and I'm glad to see those boys win it. They deserved it. :D

Enough ripping on me just because I was cheering for a team other than my own country. I do not cheer for the US team when they have played as horrible as they have the last few years. I don't need to have pride in a horrible hockey program that needs to get its crap together. I cheer for Canada because they are THE hockey country and they should win the tournament every year. I mean, they did pretty much invent the sport.

Congratulations to Canada on their win. They had a helluva lot of talent on the team this year, and I'm glad to see those boys win it. They deserved it. :D

You stick with your team whether they are winning or losing. You my friend, are the definition of a fair weather fan. Cheering for Canada because they are the best, is embarrassing.

US shoulda beat em...Canada gets in such a frenzy over this WJ tourney...to that I say who cares.

US shoulda beat em...Canada gets in such a frenzy over this WJ tourney...to that I say who cares.

The US coulda beat them, but they weren't prepared for success and gagged.

The Russians shoulda beat them, but thank goodness for small favors.

Nice work by the Canucks again.

Try again next year. :D

I played hockey with Wayne Gretzky's son and two of his friends at University Park when the WJC was in GF. That was pretty cool, he was a nice kid...

Not ripping on the kid, he was ok, but he was certainly no Wayne Gretzky on the ice. Although he was better than Gretzky (Kauk's friend). :D

had to bold that line :D really? :D

his kids arent hockey players anyhow. they can skate nicely but didnt take up hockey which may have been a good thing :D Ty played at shattuck at a low level for one season and then moved back to az and the other is a solid baseball player and the jv QB at that private school in cali where motanas kid is the QB and will smiths kid plays wide reciever. one thing i can say is they are damn good kids and very polite. his daughter is a model and singer ;) to cap it off wayne was one of the coolest guys in the whole coyotes organization. unbelievable guy and down to earth. was a honor to work under him and others whole there for that one season. never will forget that!

Almost every year Canada is a lot better on the blue line and in nets than the US.

I agree with this statement 100%. The one year in which I recall the US having a really good D-core and goaltending(along with some really good forwards as well) was when they won gold. Montoya played outstanding the whole tourey and sure enough they managed to win gold. Since then, every US team seems to have inconsistent goaltending with Montoya being horrible the following year and Schneider letting in goals from past the blue line and I thought McCollum was horrible this year as well. Like was mentioned before, it is said when Jeff Frazee is probably the best performer in the US net since Montoya's brilliant performance. Maybe the pressure is too much for the US netminders because it sure seems as if Canada has a stud back there every year.

It's funny you mention this. I was talking with those guys the night before they skated at University Park. We got to talking and I coached PeeWee's at the time, and Gretzky asked me if we had any icetime that weekend and if so could he and his kids could skate with my team. When he asked that I literally froze. I couldn't speak, and I think he knew why, so he chuckled and asked me again..."Well, can we skate with your team?!".

Once I regained consciousness I told him that I coached in Fargo and I would drive them to Fargo and right back afterwards, and we also would not tell anyone so it wouldn't be a big spectacle - just a private event with my team. I think at that point he thought he might end up tied up in some dark basement somewhere, he said if I could find ice in GF they'd skate with us. By this time it was 11:00 at night, so the next morning we found ice, I tracked down Pascall to tell them we got ice, but he said thanks but no thanks...they had skated at University Park that morning.

DAMN...I WAS THAT CLOSE!

I have to comment before this thread is put to rest. Some of you need to realize that Canada's entire population is only the size of the state of New York and that most of that population has to endure a long dark cold winter due to our northern latitude. So what else would we excel at or be obsessed with? The water melon seed spitting comment is funny but heck we can't even grow them up here. Someone else comented about all of the NHL teams being in the USA. Do you think the state of New York could support six NHL teams? Canada does with only three cities that have over 2 million people and all six teams have sellouts on a regular basis. I see plenty of empty seats in those US rinks including Detroit. :D

I don't like the booing from our crowds but they truly save it for the team's that they recognize as a threat and cheer for underdogs to upset those threats. They booed the Swedes all through yesterday's game so I hope some of you can take it as compliment to the perceived talent of your hockey players.

Finally, I have frequently voiced my opinion regarding the differences between North American hockey and European hockey. Funny how brave some of the Swedes were knowing that the Canadians didn't want to get any major penalties. The flops by their goaltender were classic. The icing on the cake for me was the Swede who bit Hickey's hand during a scrum in front of the Canadian net. I just watching Ruutu, a Finn, bite the hand of Buffalo's Peters in tonights game. You can have European hockey if you want it.

If forgot to add that moving the tournament to Phoenix or Florida wouldn't work. Both are full of Canadian retirees each and every winter.

I see plenty of empty seats in those US rinks including Detroit. :D

I don't understand that they win the Stanley cup and they can't fill their arena?

Finally, I have frequently voiced my opinion regarding the differences between North American hockey and European hockey. Funny how brave some of the Swedes were knowing that the Canadians didn't want to get any major penalties. The flops by their goaltender were classic. The icing on the cake for me was the Swede who bit Hickey's hand during a scrum in front of the Canadian net. I just watching Ruutu, a Finn, bite the hand of Buffalo's Peters in tonights game. You can have European hockey if you want it.

I wonder if the Swedes would have done that if they knew the Canadians would drop the gloves. On the Espo leg check that was a penalty.

But some of the other flops were down right silly. Europeans are bringing more and more stick work and bush league tactics to the NHL. Guys like Ruutu are a disgrace and someone should wipe the ice with his face.

I think the US needs to get it's own house in order before worrying about the sissy Euros.

Probably time for a five year stretch of hard ass coaches. Maybe we could lure Lemaire into coaching the team after he retires from the Wild.

I don't know Lemaire is a Canadian and I don't think we want to bore the fans with his style of play. I am think he is done after this season

so It would be a nice trade off.

I think the US needs to get it's own house in order before worrying about the sissy Euros.

Probably time for a five year stretch of hard ass coaches. Maybe we could lure Lemaire into coaching the team after he retires from the Wild.

thank you, figure the mess that is usa junior hockey first

I don't know Lemaire is a Canadian and I don't think we want to bore the fans with his style of play. I am think he is done after this season

so It would be a nice trade off.

I've heard once or twice that you need the best available recruit no matter where they are from and I bet JL would get those kids to play some defense.

I've heard once or twice that you need the best available recruit no matter where they are from and I bet JL would get those kids to play some defense.

or they wouldn't be playing or sitting on the bench. Hum, sounds good to me.

I am hoping that Rolston's is done coaching the USA WJC team.

It's time for Blais to get his shot.

Actually, Head Coach of USA Hockey would have been a good title for Herb Brooks. If the suits at USA Hockey would have let him have the reigns, he would have turned the NTDP upside down. He wanted to emphasize summer "development" not "evaluation." He was no fan of the Ann Arbor program.

We know what Brooks thought of the sissy Euro's :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PPxaEoTno...C7&index=25

It's time for Blais to get his shot.

Actually, Head Coach of USA Hockey would have been a good title for Herb Brooks. If the suits at USA Hockey would have let him have the reigns, he would have turned the NTDP upside down. He wanted to emphasize summer "development" not "evaluation." He was no fan of the Ann Arbor program.

We know what Brooks thought of the sissy Euro's :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PPxaEoTno...C7&index=25

Blais was supposed to coach the 2005 team in Grand Forks, but Sandelin replaced him when Blais took the Columbus job. I also hope Blais gets another shot to coach this team.