SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The American game is on at 2:30 pm and the Canadian game is on at 7:00 pm. Its on the NHL network.

So if you get digital cable in Grand Forks, ND you might want to subscribe to the Sports digital if you don't have it.

Well worth the money then you can watch the championship game of the GLI on FCS as well... :ohmy:

USA leads Germany 2-1 after 1 the US has played well but have had a couple of "interesting" passes. Kristo has been given the 2nd assist on the US second goal scored by Drayson Bowman the other assist on the goal went to Jim O'Brien. They need to follow the kiss theory a little more. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I don't get why Canada always cheers against the USA. I can understand it in the final round, but in the early games? Maybe because the USA has gopher players on the team, and no current Sioux players except for Danny Kristo?

I always pull for Canada, except when they are playing against USA. After all, their top sport is Hockey, whereas the USA's top sports is one of those other over-rated sports.

Let's go SIOUX and let's go USA!!!!!!!!

I don't get why Canada always cheers against the USA. I can understand it in the final round, but in the early games? Maybe because the USA has gophers players on the team, and no current Sioux players except for Danny Kristo?

I always pull for Canada, except when they are playing against USA. After all, their top sport is Hockey, whereas the USA's top sports is one of those other over-rated sports.

Let's go SIOUX and let's go USA!!!!!!!!

After the Candians were cheering for Russia during one of the WJC I could care less if they ever win again.

I would rather see the Swedes win if the USA doesn't have a chance of winning.

After the Candians were cheering for Russia during one of the WJC I could care less if they ever win again.

I would rather see the Swedes win if the USA doesn't have a chance of winning.

I don't know if it is partially due to the transit strike or the economy but the arena was surprisely empty for the game and some of those fans may have been cheering for the underdog because they correctly recognize that the USA is the biggest obstacle to gold.

Goon I assume you are talking about the year that fans in Vancouver were cheering for the Russians. As I have said before judging Canada based on the flakes in that city would amount to judging all Americans based on certain parts of California :ohmy:.

I don't know if it is partially due to the transit strike or the economy but the arena was surprisely empty for the game and some of those fans may have been cheering for the underdog because they correctly recognize that the USA is the biggest obstacle to gold.

Goon I assume you are talking about the year that fans in Vancouver were cheering for the Russians. As I have said before judging Canada based on the flakes in that city would amount to judging all Americans based on certain parts of California :ohmy:.

The Canadian fans booed the US and cheered loud for Ovechkin, Malkin and the Russians in Grand Forks in 05

The Canadian fans booed the US and cheered loud for Ovechkin, Malkin and the Russians in Grand Forks in 05

Other than being drunk there was no excuse for cheering for the Russians at that tournament. I can tell you that most of us agree with Don Cherry and could care less if there were any Russians in the NHL. I am off to the game.

I think there is a very complex dynamic with Canadian sports fans.

In some ways, I think Canada vs. US is a lot like UND vs. UMN in hockey or tOSU vs. Michigan in football. Canadians view hockey as "their" sport (which technically it is). Therefore, it's altogether likely that Canada would root against the US.

Also take into the effect of hockey as a sport globally. In Canada and Eastern Europe, hockey is a big time sport. In the US, it's still considered a "major" sport, but we're putting more publicity as a country's media behind more popular sports such as football and baseball, games such as poker, and even basketball gets more publicity on the sports networks.

This gives the US a lackadaisical reputation with regards to hockey. We can be dominant powerhouses and I'm still sure we'd be scoffed at by Canadian hockey fans.

Also, if Latvia is involved, here's a random factoid: One of the largest (if not THE largest) foreign population in the country of Latvia are Canadians. I can't tell you why this is, but when my brother went to Riga (the capitol of Latvia) Canadians were all over the place. A great deal of them are, of all things, restaurant owners/operators.

That doesn't mean I don't like the Canadians obviously some of the best players in the world are from there. I just don't cheer for team Canada in the WJC.

I am just a big USA homer. ;) I would actually like to see a lot less Euros in the NHL and more NORTH AMERICAN'S. California LOL, that is was funny...

I think there is a very complex dynamic with Canadian sports fans.

Canadians view hockey as "their" sport (which technically it is). Therefore, it's altogether likely that Canada would root against the US.

I actually think that Hockey is a NICHE sport and don't want everyone to like it or get it. I don't like Basketball at all so I don't bother watching. I am tired of Hockey floundering in the Southern Markets, they like basketball and football down there. I get the fact that hockey is a regionalized game they just don't get it in the sunshine states. They don't really have frozen ponds or winter down there. Look at the Florida Panthers and the Atlanta Thrasher and now the Phoenix Coyotes, no one cares and no one goes to their games.

When I was in Georgia for two were there was two whole stinking hockey games on TV. Two. There were zero commericals for the Thrasers not one. That's fine I will live in the north freeze and watch hockey. So maybe USA and Canada is like the Gophers and the Sioux.

I actually think that Hockey is a NICHE sport and don't want everyone to like it or get it. I don't like Basketball at all so I don't bother watching. I am tired of Hockey floundering in the Southern Markets, they like basketball and football down there. I get the fact that hockey is a regionalized game they just don't get it in the sunshine states. They don't really have frozen ponds or winter down there. Look at the Florida Panthers and the Atlanta Thrasher and now the Phoenix Coyotes, no one cares and no one goes to their games.

When I was in Georgia for two were there was two whole stinking hockey games on TV. Two. There were zero commericals for the Thrasers not one. That's fine I will live in the north freeze and watch hockey. So maybe USA and Canada is like the Gophers and the Sioux.

I live in Georgia, and it SUCKS not having hockey. I used to have a dish where I could get whatever I wanted, but now I've moved to a place where there's no "Line of Sight" anywhere in my yard! Needless to say, all my hockey viewing comes from the internet, which is better than nothing. I can still watch the Sioux and the Devils, so I'm somewhat satisfied.

I did like Sioux Hab-it's comment regarding Californian's though. Some of the people in that state are REALLY out there!

I live in Georgia, and it SUCKS not having hockey. I used to have a dish where I could get whatever I wanted, but now I've moved to a place where there's no "Line of Sight" anywhere in my yard! Needless to say, all my hockey viewing comes from the internet, which is better than nothing. I can still watch the Sioux and the Devils, so I'm somewhat satisfied.

I did like Sioux Hab-it's comment regarding Californian's though. Some of the people in that state are REALLY out there!

You can always move back to ND. :ohmy: The weather in Georgia is awesome I admit.