SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Southern Utah

UNDvince97-01

oh and another thing i failed to mention. Tenessee is NO WHERE near the same talent level as a mediocre 1-aa team, they are way better than talent wise than any 1-aa team. once again, you have no clue about college football. and since i actually know stuff you think i'm a BISON fan. thats the worst insult i've ever had.

Tennessee is 3-7 and most likely won't win a game the rest of the season so I think I'd take my chances with Cal Poly, SIU, or Montana in a game against them. Don't get me started on Wyoming. Tennessee might be the biggest win of their season after a season long streak of ass-kickings delivered by schools that aren't exactly football powers (BYU, Bowling Green). Don't feel bad about being shown up, just remember that I've forgotten more about college football then you'll ever know.

HA right, this charade, and i'm really an undercover ndsu fan right dlsiouxfan, right. you just don't have a clue what you are talking about. i actually say what we don't want to hear and all of a sudden you think im' a bison fan. pull the blindfold off of your eyes and get a clue.

What are you saying that people don't want to hear? Nearly every poster on here has admitted UND is having a down year. Hell, I said this was the least talented Sioux football team since the early 90's in the post of mine you quoted. It's not your criticism of the Sioux that leads me to believe your a Byesin fan, it's your endless hard-on for the team from the south that does. Even some of the most die-hard Byesin fans will admit their team has played like garbage this season so what's with the praise? What exactly makes you think NDSU is somehow ahead of us? Is it the fact their an also- ran in a mid-level I-AA conference? I sure as hell hope UND football is aspiring to do a lot better than that in 5 years.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee is 3-7 and most likely won't win a game the rest of the season so I think I'd take my chances with Cal Poly, SIU, or Montana in a game against them. Don't get me started on Wyoming. Tennessee might be the biggest win of their season after a season long streak of ass-kickings delivered by schools that aren't exactly football powers (BYU, Bowling Green). Don't feel bad about being shown up, just remember that I've forgotten more about college football then you'll ever know.

What are you saying that people don't want to hear? Nearly every poster on here has admitted UND is having a down year. Hell, I said this was the least talented Sioux football team since the early 90's in the post of mine you quoted. It's not your criticism of the Sioux that leads me to believe your a Byesin fan, it's your endless hard-on for the team from the south that does. Even some of the most die-hard Byesin fans will admit their team has played like garbage this season so what's with the praise? What exactly makes you think NDSU is somehow ahead of us? Is it the fact their an also- ran in a mid-level I-AA conference? I sure as hell hope UND football is aspiring to do a lot better than that in 5 years.

mid-level conference? How's it feel to be the new SUU of the Great West Confterence??

Similar to being Indiana State's new sidekick, I'd imagine.

I was gonna say, you lost to Youngstown, who is right down there with Indiana State. Again, if you are a Bison fan, you CANNOT talk smack to a Sioux fan. The same is vice versa, both squads are struggling this year. I would be much more concerned if I were a Bison fan though, as you are much further along in the transition.

I think we should all realize that what happens during the transition years has nothing to do with your success once the transition is over.

You can win virtually every game during transition and still come out with a mediocre team that fails to make the playoffs. If you need an example I've got one.

We also forget that we have a new coaching staff - yes most were part of the system, but there is still adjustments that need to be considered.

I would also say that recruiting takes a hit during transition because not every kid is willing to be a part of transition.

I was gonna say, you lost to Youngstown, who is right down there with Indiana State. Again, if you are a Bison fan, you CANNOT talk smack to a Sioux fan. The same is vice versa, both squads are struggling this year. I would be much more concerned if I were a Bison fan though, as you are much further along in the transition.

Concerned about 1 position? No way. With a more productive qb we'd be 8-1 at least. You're comparing your schedule to ours which doesn't compare. We'll see who has problems next year, remember your graduating 19 seniors which are most of your productive players and have a much better schedule.

Hellevang has not made a FG in his last 5 attempts. His last make came against Idaho St. He has not made a FG outdoors this season.

I was ready to throw Hellevang under the bus after this game, but after looking closer at his season numbers tonight, all but two of his misses on the season have been from 40+ yards out. And 2 of his makes have been from over 40 yards.

I will say though that while I don't like to place blame at the feet of one person, as the entire offense had its problems tonight, the difference in the ball game (in my mind) was the 3 points left on the field when Hellevang missed a 32 yard FG in the 3rd quarter with an 11 point lead. That is by no means a pressure situation. At home, indoors, with a 2 possession lead, an experienced Junior kicker should make that one every time.

As far as the rest of the game, I thought this was by far and away the best performance from the defense so far this year, and against a team that has shown the ability to put up alot of points. The contained SUU's running game and were very opportunistic getting 4 INTs and a fumble. Unfortunately it was a mistake by the Defense in taking the roughing the passer penalty that extended SUU's go ahead drive.

The offense wasn't horrid, but the offensive line struggled. They didn't create many holes for Murray, and they didn't give Freund much pass protection, he was sacked 5 times. UND was never able to establish any tempo at all. It seemed like every snap of the ball resulted in either no gain, or a 15 yard gain.

Another disappointing loss, and coming at home makes it sting more.

Hats of to SUU, they've improved alot over the last 12 months.

We'll trade you Bibeau for Hellevang even up, they both are struggling, except lately Bibeau is making his XPs

The talent level is probably the worst it's been on this squad since the early 90's. The administration nearly killed this program by dragging it's feet over the Division I move. It won't take more than a recruiting class or two to turn it around as long as we can get the right guys in place. Any Byesin fan who's on here talking crap should get over themselves. They've had five years of recruiting D-1 talent and still have a rotten football team. It will be fun watching them get their ass beat again next week. It will be more fun if we can salvage a winning season by winning in the Dakotadome but it will be a tall order. I must say I'm disappointed in the GF community for last night's turnout. This program deserves better from it's fans than 7.800 in attendance.

Watch out how you use the word rotten, GF is starting to smell as bad as Drayton and its coming from the aleranus. Why are you whining about 7800 in attendance for football, gf has always been a hockey town and always will be. There is more excitement generated by patsweeney when your icemen are going to play U of Manitoba in a hockey exhibition game than when you used to play football vs. grand valley state in a d2 playoff at gf. You'll never fill the alerus for football unless you play NDSU, so save your hot air energy and do some real work, get on that game!!

Watch out how you use the word rotten, GF is starting to smell as bad as Drayton and its coming from the aleranus. Why are you whining about 7800 in attendance for football, gf has always been a hockey town and always will be. There is more excitement generated by patsweeney when your icemen are going to play U of Manitoba in a hockey exhibition game than when you used to play football vs. grand valley state in a d2 playoff at gf. You'll never fill the alerus for football unless you play NDSU, so save your hot air energy and do some real work, get on that game!!

3,000 empty blue seats in the Dome and yet NDSU claims "another" sellout? Western Illinois seems to ring a bell. If UND counted "sold" seats like you ag majors we would have sellouts as well. Don't flatter yourself that the Alerus would sellout if the Sioux/Bison game were renewed. It's only trolls like yourself whom can't seem to get away from ss.com that still think UND would cherish the rematch.

And just to avoid the traditional crap from yourself and Bison Dan:

1) You say it's Kupchella/Thomas's fault-we say its Taylor/Chapman's fault

2) We said F-You/You said F-Us

3) It didn't make sense for us/Now it doesn't make sense for you

4) We would crush you/You would crush us

5) We say you can't make the playoffs/You say good luck in the transition, "you will see how touch it is and realize that NDSU is back and is the second coming of Christ" "We beat the (1-11 I may add) Gophers which put us on the map and we will now land every recruit that both Ohio State and Texas want".

As the saying goes in Fargo (which was old about 10 years ago) - "Keep drinking the cool-aid"

3,000 empty blue seats in the Dome and yet NDSU claims "another" sellout? Western Illinois seems to ring a bell. If UND counted "sold" seats like you ag majors we would have sellouts as well. Don't flatter yourself that the Alerus would sellout if the Sioux/Bison game were renewed. It's only trolls like yourself whom can't seem to get away from ss.com that still think UND would cherish the rematch.

And just to avoid the traditional crap from yourself and Bison Dan:

1) You say it's Kupchella/Thomas's fault-we say its Taylor/Chapman's fault

2) We said F-You/You said F-Us

3) It didn't make sense for us/Now it doesn't make sense for you

4) We would crush you/You would crush us

5) We say you can't make the playoffs/You say good luck in the transition, "you will see how touch it is and realize that NDSU is back and is the second coming of Christ" "We beat the (1-11 I may add) Gophers which put us on the map and we will now land every recruit that both Ohio State and Texas want".

As the saying goes in Fargo (which was old about 10 years ago) - "Keep drinking the cool-aid"

Who's the cool-aid drinker?:(

It really rather comical that Bison fans are giving us grief about losing to Southern Utah. Southern Utah is a whole lot better than they have been. If I'm not mistaken they gave one of the Montana schools all they wanted this year. Southern Utah also beat Youngstown. Youngstown ran all over NDSU. The funny part of all this is when Bison fans make fun of Southern Utah it really makes their own team look even worse than they are. The Bison are done with their transition and the Sioux are just starting our transition. When you look at messy status of the Bison team this year the future of Sioux football looks quite bright. The Bison fans have enough problems with thier own team to be putting down other teams. They need to be more concerned about the fact that they are booing their own players and team in the first quarter of games at the Fargodome. Und will probably still host a FCS playoff game before NDSU does!

It really rather comical that Bison fans are giving us grief about losing to Southern Utah. Southern Utah is a whole lot better than they have been. If I'm not mistaken they gave one of the Montana schools all they wanted this year. Southern Utah also beat Youngstown. Youngstown ran all over NDSU. The funny part of all this is when Bison fans make fun of Southern Utah it really makes their own team look even worse than they are. The Bison are done with their transition and the Sioux are just starting our transition. When you look at messy status of the Bison team this year the future of Sioux football looks quite bright. The Bison fans have enough problems with thier own team to be putting down other teams. They need to be more concerned about the fact that they are booing their own players and team in the first quarter of games at the Fargodome. Und will probably still host a FCS playoff game before NDSU does!

Another kool-aid drinker!! Future bright for the Sioux? What do you base that on? You'd just lost to a team that hasn't won a game EVER in the Great West conference until you showed up. Like I said we have one or two positions to improve on, you have a whole team.

Another kool-aid drinker!! Future bright for the Sioux? What do you base that on? You'd just lost to a team that hasn't won a game EVER in the Great West conference until you showed up. Like I said we have one or two positions to improve on, you have a whole team.

Your squad was a pre-season top 5 in the nation and pre-season top conference pick. You'll finish 6-5 more than likely. UND finishes 6-4 or 5-5 in the first year of transition. Who will have the most disappointing season? Where is your "bright" future? This was to be THE year for SU. SU has a better team than UND this year which was to be expected, but you guys ARE the biggest disappointment in nation based on all the pre-season hype!

The NDSU example goes to show you never know how the transition will go. They had 6 FCS wins in 2004, and will likely finish in the middle of their conference and no playoffs this year. Who knows what will happen when the Sioux are playoff eligible.

Your squad was a pre-season top 5 in the nation and pre-season top conference pick. You'll finish 6-5 more than likely. UND finishes 6-4 or 5-5 in the first year of transition. Who will have the most disappointing season? Where is your "bright" future? This was to be THE year for SU. SU has a better team than UND this year which was to be expected, but you guys ARE the biggest disappointment in nation based on all the pre-season hype!

Very good post. SU may have a better team than UND but in rivalry games the best team does not always win. The Dbacks

for the Sioux are coming on. They might get a few picks off of Mertens. Southern Utah was lucky to come out of the Alerus with a W. A fake punt and a questionable roughing the passer call won it for them.

Very good post. SU may have a better team than UND but in rivalry games the best team does not always win. The Dbacks

for the Sioux are coming on. They might get a few picks off of Mertens. Southern Utah was lucky to come out of the Alerus with a W. A fake punt and a questionable roughing the passer call won it for them.

I'm just glad Mertens went to SU instead of coming to und..I'll take Jake Landry our back up over Mertens any game.

We can only hope that the Sioux peak in their 5th and 6th years of transition, not in the meaningless 3rd and 4th years like the Bye-sin did. :(

I would suspect most Sioux fans would be very happy to have a move to DI as successful as the Bison have had. But, then, I guess your remark is about what one would expect from a pizza delivery guy......not much vision there at all.

Doesn't matter what the Bison did nor when they did it. Until we can play them again or we are eligible for playoffs who cares? Shouldn't make a lick of difference to them what we do nor when we do it. None of what we do makes them any better nor worse and none of what they do makes us any better or worse.

We need to get better. We need to improve the fan base and see if our students can upgrade for all sports with attendence and participation esp for BB and FB but hockey could be better also. Community support needs to improve and we need to support the band to increase the numbers and make it a bigger part of the overall experience. Get to some real D1 games and see what a difference it can make. We have the tailgating piece pretty good. We have to deal with being off campus. No excuse for the poor turnout Saturday and students leaving early. That isn't the first game they have done that. I would hope we can see better from them in the future.

As far as the team we are OK. Poor game Sat by the O-line and QB. Lack of discipline with fake punt and personal foul. No excuse for that. We need another good recruiting year and we need to retain the kids we have. Chapell will help if he gets his act togehter and returns but I don't think he is in school and thus won't be back. We have some good kids coming up but need to get bigger and keep getting faster.

Need to correct this before it's repeated enough times that others begin to believe it. SUU had won GWFC games before. They beat UCD & SDSU in 2004 and UNC in 2005. This was their first GWFC away victory, however.

Need to correct this before it's repeated enough times that others begin to believe it. SUU had won GWFC games before. They beat UCD & SDSU in 2004 and UNC in 2005. This was their first GWFC away victory, however.

It should be pointed out that SUU has beaten Texas State on the road this year, also. Not a GWC game, but an impressive road win nonetheless considering Texas State is presently tied for second place in the Southland Conference.