SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Southern Utah

UNDvince97-01

The first ever D1 opponent to come to the Alerus is Southern Utah. A team we handily took care of last year at their place who by all indications is a vastly improved team, at least offensively. Should be a great game, as SUU has shown they can compete with the best teams in the FCS this season. Also, it is our 1st ever D1 home conference game for the Great West. Because of the 7:00 kickoff time, there is no reason the Alerus shouldn't be near full this weekend. Not really sure what is being done in terms of marketing for this game from the UND athletic department, but hopefully there is something substantial being done to sell tickets and fill the Alerus up. Looking forward to hearing what is/will be done for marketing.

Everyone get your tails to the game and cheer on the team for the 1st ever D1 game at the Alerus.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first ever D1 opponent to come to the Alerus is Southern Utah. A team we handily took care of last year at their place who by all indications is a vastly improved team, at least offensively. Should be a great game, as SUU has shown they can compete with the best teams in the FCS this season. Also, it is our 1st ever D1 home conference game for the Great West. Because of the 7:00 kickoff time, there is no reason the Alerus shouldn't be near full this weekend. Not really sure what is being done in terms of marketing for this game from the UND athletic department, but hopefully there is something substantial being done to sell tickets and fill the Alerus up. Looking forward to hearing what is/will be done for marketing.

Everyone get your tails to the game and cheer on the team for the 1st ever D1 game at the Alerus.

I will be there! Looking forward to the game because it is a night game and it is against a Southern Utah team that is improved. Remember, this is the final home game of the year.

Anyone care to guess on the attendance fo this game?

I'll say ~8,500.

Hopefully the hunters head to the Alerus once it gets dark out.

What they should have done for marketing purposes was give half-price tix to anyone showing up in blaze orange.

As far as game predictions, I'll say the Sioux win by 4 in a shoot-out. I expect Josh Murray to have a really big day after being bottled up for a couple weeks, and I expect SUU's very pedestrian QB Cody Stone to have a huge day throwing the ball.

42 Sioux

38 T-Birds

Should be a very fun game to watch, lots of offense I'm guessing. I caught a little bit of the Cal Poly vs. Southern Utah game a few weeks ago and there wasn't a lot of defense to talk about. Keep an eye on the sophomore WR from SUU, I believe his name is Pootz (sp). He was a McDonald's All-American in basketball and the kid can play, he had something like 14 catches. Good luck this week.

Anyone care to guess on the attendance fo this game?

I'll say ~8,500.

Hopefully the hunters head to the Alerus once it gets dark out.

What they should have done for marketing purposes was give half-price tix to anyone showing up in blaze orange.

As far as game predictions, I'll say the Sioux win by 4 in a shoot-out. I expect Josh Murray to have a really big day after being bottled up for a couple weeks, and I expect SUU's very pedestrian QB Cody Stone to have a huge day throwing the ball.

42 Sioux

38 T-Birds

The last time we went head-to-head with the deer opener was two years ago vs. USD, and attendance was 9078. On the bright side, this is a night game, and it's the first dI opponent we've hosted. The negative, of course, is that in addition to it being the deer opener, for the first time since 2002 we actually have more than two regular season losses. Will that keep some away? Hopefully not. I'm going to predict 9500, but I certainly hope it's more.

You'd have thought this game would have been marketed heavily for the past two or three weeks, but I haven't heard/seen much, if anything in the media.

Is this more or less a make-or-break game for the season? I say yes. A home loss against a program we beat 37-10 on the road last season would put us in jeopardy of finishing 5-5, which would have seemed unthinkable to most of us a few months ago. I really hope the offense comes back to life, and the defense plays to the absolute best of its ability. We really need this one.

Is this more or less a make-or-break game for the season? I say yes. A home loss against a program we beat 37-10 on the road last season would put us in jeopardy of finishing 5-5, which would have seemed unthinkable to most of us a few months ago. I really hope the offense comes back to life, and the defense plays to the absolute best of its ability. We really need this one.

That is a very good assessment. Personally, I feel that this is a much more winnable game than the South Dakota game. I think the offense will have a revival in this game, the rushing numbers especially indicate that. The Sioux play up a level at home too.

I admit this season has been somewhat of a disappointment to me. I felt that certainly the SLU game was a winnable one, and I thought we should have been more competetive against UC Davis as well. If we don't at least get a split over the last two games here against SUU and USD, I will consider this season a complete failure. :lol:

That is a very good assessment. Personally, I feel that this is a much more winnable game than the South Dakota game. I think the offense will have a revival in this game, the rushing numbers especially indicate that. The Sioux play up a level at home too.

I admit this season has been somewhat of a disappointment to me. I felt that certainly the SLU game was a winnable one, and I thought we should have been more competetive against UC Davis as well. If we don't at least get a split over the last two games here against SUU and USD, I will consider this season a complete failure. :lol:

especially since the one fcs team we beat is 0-8 and we only beat them by 3. we NEED to win these next two and prove something going into the offseason.

While I would like to see the next 2 games end up in the win column, I have not been disappointed by the FCS games that we have had to date. I have been traveling with the team and have been at every away game. While I feel we could have won a couple of those games, we demonstrated one very important thing...... we are at least at a competitive level. We don't have that far to go. Each game that we have lost has come down to 2-3 mistakes that if they would have went the other way, the outcome may have been different. Sometimes the score does not reveal have close a game really was. We actually had a good game against Southern Illinios except for the interception Danny threw, the missed holding call ( completely obvious to everyone in the stands including the SI fans sitting next to me) against SI that allowed the little speedster to get a 75 yard TD. While I am not saying we should have beat them, the fact is we are in a state of transition and we are only going to get better each year.

I think it is important that we grow competitively and incremently each year. We could learn from the Bison fiasco whereby they had such success the last couple of years that the fan base developed unrealistic expectations and now wonder what is going on. The fact is that there is a lot of parity to this division which, of course, makes it that much more exciting. On any given Saturday, any solid team can beat another solid team. Let's give the team time to grow but in the meantime. let's throw our unconditional support to them. Let's go Sioux !!!!

While I would like to see the next 2 games end up in the win column, I have not been disappointed by the FCS games that we have had to date. I have been traveling with the team and have been at every away game. While I feel we could have won a couple of those games, we demonstrated one very important thing...... we are at least at a competitive level. We don't have that far to go. Each game that we have lost has come down to 2-3 mistakes that if they would have went the other way, the outcome may have been different. Sometimes the score does not reveal have close a game really was. We actually had a good game against Southern Illinios except for the interception Danny threw, the missed holding call ( completely obvious to everyone in the stands including the SI fans sitting next to me) against SI that allowed the little speedster to get a 75 yard TD. While I am not saying we should have beat them, the fact is we are in a state of transition and we are only going to get better each year.

I think it is important that we grow competitively and incremently each year. We could learn from the Bison fiasco whereby they had such success the last couple of years that the fan base developed unrealistic expectations and now wonder what is going on. The fact is that there is a lot of parity to this division which, of course, makes it that much more exciting. On any given Saturday, any solid team can beat another solid team. Let's give the team time to grow but in the meantime. let's throw our unconditional support to them. Let's go Sioux !!!!

as much as i want to believe you. i question how "close" those games really were. if we hadn't scored in the last minute of the UC DAVIS game we would have lost by 20. and you can ever, ever, EVER, make a comment or excuse about the refs. big no no. all i'm saying is we really need to improve and come out of the Southern Utah game with a win. which we should.

I appreciate your insight - it is good to hear from someone who has attended all the games.

You apparently have some tie to the team. What are you hearing about our freshmen who are being red-shirted this year and the couple of transfers who are sitting out? Are there kids who will be able to make significant contributions next year? We lose a bunch of seniors!

Well said. This team is close and I really think things will only get better.

Not that it matters, but on the anygivensaturday Great West board, the consensus among non-UND fans is that SUU will win.

Let's make sure the 12th man on defense shows up Saturday night! That young defense needs all of us to make as much noise as possible. This is a huge night for the players and the program. It should be really exciting. DE - FENSE!