SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Southern Utah

UNDvince97-01

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hellevang is 5 of 14 on the season. Is that right?!

Hellevang has not made a FG in his last 5 attempts. His last make came against Idaho St. He has not made a FG outdoors this season.

I was ready to throw Hellevang under the bus after this game, but after looking closer at his season numbers tonight, all but two of his misses on the season have been from 40+ yards out. And 2 of his makes have been from over 40 yards.

I will say though that while I don't like to place blame at the feet of one person, as the entire offense had its problems tonight, the difference in the ball game (in my mind) was the 3 points left on the field when Hellevang missed a 32 yard FG in the 3rd quarter with an 11 point lead. That is by no means a pressure situation. At home, indoors, with a 2 possession lead, an experienced Junior kicker should make that one every time.

As far as the rest of the game, I thought this was by far and away the best performance from the defense so far this year, and against a team that has shown the ability to put up alot of points. The contained SUU's running game and were very opportunistic getting 4 INTs and a fumble. Unfortunately it was a mistake by the Defense in taking the roughing the passer penalty that extended SUU's go ahead drive.

The offense wasn't horrid, but the offensive line struggled. They didn't create many holes for Murray, and they didn't give Freund much pass protection, he was sacked 5 times. UND was never able to establish any tempo at all. It seemed like every snap of the ball resulted in either no gain, or a 15 yard gain.

Another disappointing loss, and coming at home makes it sting more.

Hats of to SUU, they've improved alot over the last 12 months.

An air base res. came up to me at Menards in GF and asked where I got my bison hat, he said his brother in law wanted one for xmas, he said he cant find any in GF to buy. What a shame. And you wonder why you cant get a game in fargo any more.

we can't get a game in Fargo, because someone's brother-in-law can not buy a Hat.....

Hell, I'll buy him a Hat, send me his name.... :(

Yup, that's a tough game for your guys, can believe it happened the way it did, but that how the ball bounces. Maybe Jim Bollman will say "welcome to Div. 1" on his Monday morning radio show. He needs to tone it down a bit about Sioux sports, it makes GF a one horse town. He should make more positive comments about the NDSU programs, like thier womens vball team just won the Summit League conference and have had a fantastic season. In Fargo you can buy sioux garb and bison garb at Scheels. In GF you cannot buy any bison garb an if you wear any bison garb you get starred at with hatred. An air base res. came up to me at Menards in GF and asked where I got my bison hat, he said his brother in law wanted one for xmas, he said he cant find any in GF to buy. What a shame. And you wonder why you cant get a game in fargo any more.

Okay, I was just in GF last weekend. First, there's Bye-sin garb at lots of places, tell his brother-in-law to look harder. Second, I saw some unfortunate people actually wearing it, and nobody was staring at them with hatred. Where do you guys come up with this crap?:(

Come on, give the coaches some time to recruit to this level.

I didn't think there was a difference between the top of Div 2 and the bottom of the Top 25 in 1AA?

I'm not sure about this, but I think that was the 1st conference win for Southern Utah since the Great West was formed.

No, it is not their first GWC win. But they have beaten Youngstown St. this season! :(

No shame in losing to SUU this year. Disappointed, yes, but definately a much better Thunderbird team than last year. Also not as good a Sioux team as last year.

we would get steamrolled by youngstown. we might not even win a game in the great worst conference. and SUU is still not good. 4 wins. and we aren't good. the only team we've beaten in fcs is 0-8 and we won by 3. i've never been such a hater about und. but this is redic

we would get steamrolled by youngstown. we might not even win a game in the great worst conference. and SUU is still not good. 4 wins. and we aren't good. the only team we've beaten in fcs is 0-8 and we won by 3. i've never been such a hater about und. but this is redic

You're probably right. My point is that SUU is a much better team this year than than they were last year, and UND is not as good a team as last year. Although very disappointed with the loss (and this season), especially at home, I feel no shame in losing to SUU this year.

The talent level is probably the worst it's been on this squad since the early 90's. The administration nearly killed this program by dragging it's feet over the Division I move. It won't take more than a recruiting class or two to turn it around as long as we can get the right guys in place. Any Byesin fan who's on here talking crap should get over themselves. They've had five years of recruiting D-1 talent and still have a rotten football team. It will be fun watching them get their ass beat again next week. It will be more fun if we can salvage a winning season by winning in the Dakotadome but it will be a tall order. I must say I'm disappointed in the GF community for last night's turnout. This program deserves better from it's fans than 7.800 in attendance.

I will say though that while I don't like to place blame at the feet of one person, as the entire offense had its problems tonight, the difference in the ball game (in my mind) was the 3 points left on the field when Hellevang missed a 32 yard FG in the 3rd quarter with an 11 point lead. That is by no means a pressure situation. At home, indoors, with a 2 possession lead, an experienced Junior kicker should make that one every time.

As far as the rest of the game, I thought this was by far and away the best performance from the defense so far this year, and against a team that has shown the ability to put up alot of points. The contained SUU's running game and were very opportunistic getting 4 INTs and a fumble. Unfortunately it was a mistake by the Defense in taking the roughing the passer penalty that extended SUU's go ahead drive.

The offense wasn't horrid, but the offensive line struggled. They didn't create many holes for Murray, and they didn't give Freund much pass protection, he was sacked 5 times. UND was never able to establish any tempo at all. It seemed like every snap of the ball resulted in either no gain, or a 15 yard gain.

The roughing the passer call on 4th down that allowed SUU to continue it's last touchdown drive certainly didn't help UND's cause, nor did Freund's interception before that. The low attendance and lower noise level probably didn't help either. :(

Listened to SUU announcers for part of the game: they talked about how UND was perhaps the most disciplined team they've seen, but how SUU had a physical and possibly athletic advantage at most positions. They also raved about the Alerus Center, as their coaching staff (some of them NFL veterans) were surprised at the Alerus amenities, like the visiting locker room exceeding those that they had experienced even in NFL stadiums.

I didn't think there was a difference between the top of Div 2 and the bottom of the Top 25 in 1AA?

I'm not sure about this, but I think that was the 1st conference win for Southern Utah since the Great West was formed.

There isn't. This is just the worst team that UND has put on the field in years. You could take most of UND's teams since 2000 and they would be an undefeated, maybe 1 loss team.

An air base res. came up to me at Menards in GF and asked where I got my bison hat, he said his brother in law wanted one for xmas, he said he cant find any in GF to buy. What a shame. And you wonder why you cant get a game in fargo any more.

He must not have looked too hard. Lids in the middle of Columbia Mall. Scheels. Sports Zone. Kohls. JCPenny's. etc. I've seen plenty of Bison gear in GF.

In GF you cannot buy any bison garb an if you wear any bison garb you get starred at with hatred.

I would expect that Bison gear would be starred at with hatred in any North Dakota town. :(

The talent level is probably the worst it's been on this squad since the early 90's. The administration nearly killed this program by dragging it's feet over the Division I move. It won't take more than a recruiting class or two to turn it around as long as we can get the right guys in place. Any Byesin fan who's on here talking crap should get over themselves. They've had five years of recruiting D-1 talent and still have a rotten football team. It will be fun watching them get their ass beat again next week. It will be more fun if we can salvage a winning season by winning in the Dakotadome but it will be a tall order. I must say I'm disappointed in the GF community for last night's turnout. This program deserves better from it's fans than 7.800 in attendance.

WAKE UP, we are playing low level teams, they are playing tough teams, they should have beat a wyoming team that just beat tennessee. they haven't lost by more than 2 touchdowns like us. so before we are saying all this, we need to put our money where our mouth is about the "ass beat again". i'm so sick of this b.s. season, it just needs to end.

WAKE UP, we are playing low level teams, they are playing tough teams, they should have beat a wyoming team that just beat tennessee. they haven't lost by more than 2 touchdowns like us. so before we are saying all this, we need to put our money where our mouth is about the "ass beat again". i'm so sick of this b.s. season, it just needs to end.

I'm wide awake. Tennessee and Wyoming are two of the worst I-A teams in the country. FACT. Both of them are comparable talent wise to a mediocre or poor I-AA team. Other than Southern Illinois pissing one away against them, none of their wins are at all impressive. The Byesin would be battling us for the bottom of the Great West right now if they were still in the conference. Both programs are down but I think we're at least heading in the right direction while they're still worshipping Saint Craig while he proves every day why he got his ass canned in Nebraska. If you're so sick of the "B.S." season why don't you go and root for them. At least then we won't have to put up with this ridiculous internet charade you're putting on. You're team (NDSU) ain't !@#$. Almost every tough team you've played has beat your ass. You're an also-ran in at best the fifth best I-AA conference and right now you downright suck. Live with it.

I'm wide awake. Tennessee and Wyoming are two of the worst I-A teams in the country. FACT. Both of them are comparable talent wise to a mediocre or poor I-AA team. Other than Southern Illinois pissing one away against them, none of their wins are at all impressive. The Byesin would be battling us for the bottom of the Great West right now if they were still in the conference. Both programs are down but I think we're at least heading in the right direction while they're still worshipping Saint Craig while he proves every day why he got his ass canned in Nebraska. If you're so sick of the "B.S." season why don't you go and root for them. At least then we won't have to put up with this ridiculous internet charade you're putting on. You're team (NDSU) ain't !@#$. Almost every tough team you've played has beat your ass. You're an also-ran in at best the fifth best I-AA conference and right now you downright suck. Live with it.

I agree with all of this. Basically, both of our teams are sucking pretty bad right now, neither fanbase can give the other crap at this point. Southern Utah fans and Youngstown State fans can give us crap.

HA right, this charade, and i'm really an undercover ndsu fan right dlsiouxfan, right. you just don't have a clue what you are talking about. i actually say what we don't want to hear and all of a sudden you think im' a bison fan. pull the blindfold off of your eyes and get a clue.

oh and another thing i failed to mention. Tenessee is NO WHERE near the same talent level as a mediocre 1-aa team, they are way better than talent wise than any 1-aa team. once again, you have no clue about college football. and since i actually know stuff you think i'm a BISON fan. thats the worst insult i've ever had.

Sioux defense is HORRIBLE this year! I went to the first game this year against Texas A&M and I could see that our corners were going to have a tough year, because they were getting burnt BADDDD against A&M of all teams! BTW Texas Tech 42 Oklahoma State 20.

With the pathetic defense this year, can you say 100-6 (sympathy points) in Lubbock next year! :(

Did you watch the game on Saturday? Five turnovers for the Defense. Shut up about the defense, this is the most stellar game the defense has played the entire year. I do not understand why people think the defense needs to pitch a shutout for them to have a good game.

Now, If Danny could throw the ball to anyone but the golden boy Trenbeath....we would have won the game. How many times does Jake Caufield have to run down the field uncovered before you throw it to him? Give it up, everyone knows you're going to run the bubble screen to Brady. Fruend's performance has continued to dwindle in the last three games. He hasn't gotten the protection he needs from the o line and then he makes poor decisions. Takes sacks when he should throw it away and tried to thread the needle into double coverage. The key to success is to spread the ball around. More passes to Bamba whose speed will amaze people. Hopefully things can get turned around so the last game for the seniors can be a win down in the Dakota Dome.

Did you watch the game on Saturday? Five turnovers for the Defense. Shut up about the defense, this is the most stellar game the defense has played the entire year. I do not understand why people think the defense needs to pitch a shutout for them to have a good game.

Now, If Danny could throw the ball to anyone but the golden boy Trenbeath....we would have won the game. How many times does Jake Caufield have to run down the field uncovered before you throw it to him? Give it up, everyone knows you're going to run the bubble screen to Brady. Fruend's performance has continued to dwindle in the last three games. He hasn't gotten the protection he needs from the o line and then he makes poor decisions. Takes sacks when he should throw it away and tried to thread the needle into double coverage. The key to success is to spread the ball around. More passes to Bamba whose speed will amaze people. Hopefully things can get turned around so the last game for the seniors can be a win down in the Dakota Dome.

i completely agree with you. caulfield was open a lot and i also think bamba needs to get more crossing routes to use his speed coming across the field. i think the boys will be amped up enough to come out of vermillion with a win and we will have a winning record

You have to admit though, there corners just aren't as good as they have been in the past. I admit, I only saw the one game in person this year against Texas A&M Kingsville and I could see our corners getting burnt the whole game. If Texas was a better team, it could have been a hell of a lot closer game than it was. It just seems like the defense had been lacking much of late, almost like they are not the same as they've been in the past. 14 pts. is a low production too though for the Sioux offense. I just hope that Mussman and his crew do a top-notch job of getting the right kids for our squad in the years to come. I just want to see us play competively in FCS ball.

It's kind of disappointing too when our kicker isn't doing that great of late. He should have made that chip shot of a field goal from 30? yards. I don't care if he does have a leg on him, he's got to have the accuracy too.

:( I guess I don't understand this statement at all...were you at the same game I was? Yes the defense played their best game of the year, which was great to see, and yes Freund struggled as bad as I have seen in his two years of starting, but to say the game would have been won if he threw it to anyone but Trenbeth doesn't make any sense to me, in fact me and the section I was sitting in all thought the opposite. Trenbeath is by far our best receiver and he was only thrown at 3 TIMES and caught 2 balls. I'm no coach but you'd think you would want to get your best offensive threat more touches. The offense was completely hopeless last night and I don't think you can pin point it to one thing. The play calling was also subject. Certainly the key to any offense in almost any sport is spreading the ball around to keep the defense guessing, but in the case of this year's team this isn't necessary an option. I'm sure Caulfield was open on some plays, along with all of the other recievers, but most of the night Freund was either getting pressure, or he thought he was going to get pressure and was unwilling to step up in to the pocket. I guess I would assume Caulfield is one of the last options in most pass plays so with Danny's happy feet and the pressure he was getting, I'm sure he wasn't able to get to his last read before it was too late. Bamba definately has speed but i feel he has a lot to learn as far as being a consistant receiver. Off season development with him will be a key to next year's success.

This year's team has been a disappointment as far as the wins and loss columns, however I don't feel they are as bad as they have shown.

:(

Everything else aside, you have to be the biggest Sioux fan I have ever seen, atleast online. But, what's funny as hell, you live in Fargo?:( LOL, that's awesome, Karma at it's best?

I may have been a little harsh the other night, to be honest, neither of us are very good this year.