SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA, College Hockey is underway

AZSIOUX

If the Sioux don't play physical, we get our diapers handed to us. HIT HIT HIT! Marto and friends, please hit! Some of these games could be quick loses until you put on some hitting right along side with some of these teams/players...!!! I pray for the best, go sioux!

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gophers may have lost the fight, but we won what counts, the game.

3 points in Madison, great weekend. I don't expect the Sioux to have much of a problem next weekend.

I think you guys should of had 4. You have a very solid team there, great passing, good puck handling. I like Lofquist's spirit for a freshman. Stoa's backhand 6 seconds in was pretty awesome. It could be ugly in January at the Ralph (especially without the students there).

UW's team lacks crisp passes. Many times during the PP they would lose the puck back into the neutral zone. Stick handling isn't that great either. Gardiner seems to be pretty solid. I'm sure after last years battles, Coach Eaves will have these guys geared up for a battle this weekend, but anything less than a sweep would be dissapointing I think.

I think you guys should of had 4. You have a very solid team there, great passing, good puck handling. I like Lofquist's spirit for a freshman. Stoa's backhand 6 seconds in was pretty awesome. It could be ugly in January at the Ralph (especially without the students there).

UW's team lacks crisp passes. Many times during the PP they would lose the puck back into the neutral zone. Stick handling isn't that great either. Gardiner seems to be pretty solid. I'm sure after last years battles, Coach Eaves will have these guys geared up for a battle this weekend, but anything less than a sweep would be dissapointing I think.

Who are you kidding? The true die hard fans and students will be there, it will be lights out!

A few random comments:

First off, I'm surprised UMD dropped game one to UAA. I'm not so sure that UAA is as weak as we'd thought.

SCSU splitting with BSU. Sure, BSU is a well coached team, but SCSU is far and away more highly skilled and I think Motzko can coach with the best of em.

Surprised at the UW fight. Not surprised by the Gopher reaction. They like to instigate but they're often not the kind to stand behind the results of the instigation. It's like Boogaard going out, picking a fight, and turtling. No, I'm not calling UMN cheap, but it's not the most ethical type of thing. That being said, I think the idiot of the night was Grotting for biting.

Is it me but I think Air Force is the only competitive team in the AHA and CHA combined. The rest are so unbelievably weak...

CCHA is wide open. MSU splits with NMU. BU drops 7 goals on Michigan.

tOSU splitting DU! Wow. I thought tOSU was basically a goaltender and nothing else.

CC only getting 2 points?!?! Seriously, the CCHA is wide open, the WCHA looks shaky, and HEA and ECACHL look strong! What an amazing start to a season.

Redwing_77: I hope your not playing with anything sharp or standing on a ledge as you wrote this. I believe that college hockey is wide open with the Hockey East being the best right now, that assures them nothing.

Championships are won in March and April and not durig the first part of the year/season. If UND sucks after the first of the year then I will be concerned but UND and Minnesota has proved that you win your most importnat games in the second half of the season. To infer anything from simply watching a team play is really not fair.

DU and C.C. have nice squads but I wouldn't pencil them in any where as of yet. C.C. had trouble beating CHA's Huntsville. D.U. won't play anyone tough till C.C. DU I don't believe has even played on the road yet.

I think Minnesota is a good team but I wouldn't pencil them in anywhere either.

I think the three best teams in the country RIGHT NOW are... BU, BC and NE after that it is a crap shoot. We should welcome that as hockey fans.

Redwing_77: I hope your not playing with anything sharp or standing on a ledge as you wrote this. I believe that college hockey is wide open with the Hockey East being the best right now, that assures them nothing.

Championships are won in March and April and not durig the first part of the year/season. If UND sucks after the first of the year then I will be concerned but UND and Minnesota has proved that you win your most importnat games in the second half of the season. To infer anything from simply watching a team play is really not fair.

DU and C.C. have nice squads but I wouldn't pencil them in any where as of yet. C.C. had trouble beating CHA's Huntsville. D.U. won't play anyone tough till C.C. DU I don't believe has even played on the road yet.

I think Minnesota is a good team but I wouldn't pencil them in anywhere either.

I think the three best teams in the country RIGHT NOW are... BU, BC and NE after that it is a crap shoot. We should welcome that as hockey fans.

I don't think redwing sounded too out of control. He was merely making observations. It didn't seem he penciled in any teams to the Frozen Four to me. I don't mean to jump on your post, but a guy watches some college hockey games, posts his thoughts on what he's seen, and is told to come down off the ledge? Are you now the only one allowed to have thoughts on college hockey? If the games are so meaningless in October to the point that people shouldn't be posting on what they've seen, does that mean you are going to shut down your blog until January?

About the bolded part of your post, if it's unfair to infer anything from watching a team play, how else are you supposed to form an opinion on a team? Are we supposed to be in the locker room? At practice? In their dorms? Sheesh. Again, Goon, I have nothing against you personally, but the amount of arrogance on this board concerning who is a true fan and who is unqualified to post their thoughts is unbelievable.

By "spirit" do you mean the jersey pop or the ear cup to the UW crowd after his goal on Friday night? Three games into a collegiate career seems a bit early for showboating.

I don't think redwing sounded too out of control. He was merely making observations. It didn't seem he penciled in any teams to the Frozen Four to me. I don't mean to jump on your post, but a guy watches some college hockey games, posts his thoughts on what he's seen, and is told to come down off the ledge? Are you now the only one allowed to have thoughts on college hockey? If the games are so meaningless in October to the point that people shouldn't be posting on what they've seen, does that mean you are going to shut down your blog until January?

About the bolded part of your post, if it's unfair to infer anything from watching a team play, how else are you supposed to form an opinion on a team? Are we supposed to be in the locker room? At practice? In their dorms? Sheesh. Again, Goon, I have nothing against you personally, but the amount of arrogance on this board concerning who is a true fan and who is unqualified to post their thoughts is unbelievable.

In a nut shell some people are jumping the gun jumping off of the Sioux band wagon way too soon . All I am saying we should discuss the games but I don't think we get too worried right now, UAA beat UMD but I would be willing to bet that UAA isn't any where but the bottom of the divions come March 10th.

UND is known to play tough teams while other feast on cup cake like sacred heart and Huntsville.

In a nut shell some people are jumping the gun jumping off of the Sioux band wagon way too soon . All I am saying we should discuss the games but I don't think we get too worried right now, UAA beat UMD but I would be willing to bet that UAA isn't any where but the bottom of the divions come March 10th.

UND is known to play tough teams while other feast on cup cake like sacred heart and Huntsville.

I agree that people have jumped off the band wagon already. Just walking on campus, you can tell just tell there's not the same confidence. a lot of people assume the worst about the series this weekend. Not me, I'm thinking positive thoughts.

What do you the Sioux have to do with anything? Neither redwing nor myself mentioned them in our posts, so I don't see how people "jumping off the Sioux bandwagon" is relevant at all. This is a thread for non-Sioux hockey. Of course, the Sioux will still come up frequently, but no one has made any jumping off the bandwagon comments in this thread lately. The only thing even remotely close posted today would be luapsided claiming that the Sioux will get their diapers handed to them if they don't play physical this weekend. Now, if that makes luapsided a terrible Sioux fan, then things are a lot worse than I thought. We might have to get "The Rug" to come to SS.com and teach a class on objectivity.

As to the second part of your post, concerning UMD and UAA, I doubt many would argue with your point. The fact still remains that it's not March 10, it's Oct. 26, so it's only natural for people to talk about what happened this weekend, rather than ignoring hockey completely until March 10. Being surprised that UAA split with Duluth and wondering if maybe UAA is better than expected is hardly jumping off the ledge. I don't think anyone handed the McNaughton Cup to Anchorage with that comment. Again I ask, are you going to suspend your blog until March 10 since nothing that happens before then matters?

I agree that people have jumped off the band wagon already. Just walking on campus, you can tell just tell there's not the same confidence. a lot of people assume the worst about the series this weekend. Not me, I'm thinking positive thoughts.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this series against the badgers. I would loved to say sweep but I think a spilt is more likely. it's just been our nature in the first half of previous seasons. I like the momentum coming out of mankato but we've struggled at home against the badgers recently and during hak's regime there have been numerous occasions in which we've come out flat and not matched the opponents intensity. hopefully that isn't the case this weekend as you know bucky will come out flying.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this series against the badgers. I would loved to say sweep but I think a spilt is more likely. it's just been our nature in the first half of previous seasons. I like the momentum coming out of mankato but we've struggled at home against the badgers recently and during hak's regime there have been numerous occasions in which we've come out flat and not matched the opponents intensity. hopefully that isn't the case this weekend as you know bucky will come out flying.

I think based on how the Badgers have played the last 6 games giving up 5 or more goals in 6 games If I was Hak I would have the guys come out and take the game to them. Full all out assult.

What do you the Sioux have to do with anything? Neither redwing nor myself mentioned them in our posts, so I don't see how people "jumping off the Sioux bandwagon" is relevant at all.

Really!!!

Again I ask, are you going to suspend your blog until March 10 since nothing that happens before then matters?

I am not shutting down anything, why would I? I am just saying it is what it is... No one is saying the beginning of the season is irrelevant I am just Hockey season starts in October and ends in March Championships.

I think the people assume the worst because it is early in the season and the Sioux have had a tough time beating Wisconsin period, especially at the Ralph as of late, nevermind a desperate Wisconsin team. Hopefully, the Sioux do an about face from their traditional early season struggles under Hakstol and can win a couple this weekend. If they ended up being the team getting swept, the Sioux would suddenly become the desperate team and would have to come from the hole once again. I don't know if my heart can take another year where every game after Christmas was basically a playoff game.

By "spirit" do you mean the jersey pop or the ear cup to the UW crowd after his goal on Friday night? Three games into a collegiate career seems a bit early for showboating.

Good point, I forgot about that. In fairness though, the same emotions displayed from one of ours may be charecterized as "enthusiastic"...as they should be. That's what makes us biased...otherwise, what's the point in being a fan?

Good point, I forgot about that. In fairness though, the same emotions displayed from one of ours may be charecterized as "enthusiastic"...as they should be. That's what makes us biased...otherwise, what's the point in being a fan?

it was done first by irmen in grand forks being he lived in the area, then chorney did it to react to irmen in that same game. the gophers are the only team who pop their jerseys a few times a year. kessel did it and put the ear cup out first in sconnie as he was from there and the kid did it the other night as hes from sconnie as well. i couldnt care less if they do that, just put them on thier ass if they do it then. pretty easy :angry:

I'm not concerned about any bandwagon. Goon knows I'm pretty diehard. However, I was indeed going by my observations. I suck at predictions so there is no way I'm predicting who is frozen four bound.

Right now, I'm going to say.... NE, Air Force, BU, and Notre Dame. :angry:

Goon knows I'm pretty diehard. Right now, I'm going to say.... NE, Air Force, BU, and Notre Dame. :blink:

LOL, I would imagine you knew I was kidding about sharp object and the ledge?

By the way are you coming up this season to the REA? I still owe you that beer.

My list would be BU, Miami, Michigan and Minnesota. :angry:

Yes, but don't forget he's wearing an upside down W on is Jersey...that was an embarassing moment for anyone who saw it...

I don't remember if this is a Barry Sanders quote but..."act like you've been there before..."

WCHA THIS COMING WEEKEND

FRIDAY

Alaska-Anchorage at Michigan Tech 7:05 ET

Wisconsin at North Dakota 7:35 CT

Colorado College at Denver 7:35 MT

Minnesota State at Minnesota 7:05 CT

SATURDAY

Minnesota vs. Minnesota State 7:35 CT State of Minnesota Hockey Showcase (St. Paul, MN)

Alaska-Anchorage at Michigan Tech 7:35 ET Hockey Hall of Fame Game

Wisconsin at North Dakota 7:05 CT

St. Cloud State vs. Minnesota-Duluth 4:05 CT State of Minnesota Hockey Showcase (St. Paul, MN)

SUNDAY

Denver at Colorado College 5:05 MT