SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA, College Hockey is underway

AZSIOUX

I've watched DU play 3 times this year and they look really,really good. They are the best team to date so far I've seen. Good thing we don't play them until January as it gives us some time to get our defense and goaltending straightened out because they can bring it offensively.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just saw 0 for 10 on the PP. i can see a big difference in this gopher team but so far with team speed. the gophers dont have 1 physical player (lucia maybe) which may hurt them in certain areas and have had almost the same result in 3 games scoring goals. just tough for kangas to do that every single night and expect wins. hes damn solid. not sure if the reffing was awful or they are just doing their job to try to clean the wcha game up as discussed in the off season. another tie tonight.....3-3. with that many penalties called around the league there has a be a few PP goals tonight

im guessing 22 total penalties tonight :D

You nailed it, AZ. The Gopher power-play is in need of work. They had some chances, like last year and they couldn't score. That's the only stat I care about. I think with so much specialty team play last night, the Gophers have a huge advantage with the skill depth going into tonight. Kohl is always a tough place to get 2 pts any night. The PP and scoring will come.

Kangas is the real deal, he will be in maroon and gold for 3 yrs. I didn't see him tested much in the 2nd and third. I don't see him being leaned on as much as I see a good forecheck and better defensive positioning because of experience and Hastings style(Wehrs, Anderson and Fairchild).

While I will disagree on the Gophers not having anyone outside of Lucia that is physical. I will say I noticed quite a few times in WCHA play this year, members from many teams hold up going into the boards and corners, even in open ice. They aren't making the big hit as much, I believe because of all the penalty's.Teams are in an advantage or already short and don't want to compound or nullify their advantage I hope that changes, the physicality comes back, when the play is more 5 on 5 after the holidays.

Do you guys think they are calling cross-checking and boarding more than checking from behind this season? Seems to me they would have called CFB quite a few times in the 8-10 games I have watched last year as opposed to this.

What happened to SCSU? I understand JW didn't play, but you talk about the Gophers struggling to score.

I thought CC would handle Clarkson, have to love college hockey.

Nice to have hockey back. Must suck to have a bye week already.

Wisconsin notes:

** Their D really REALLY jump into the play a lot. We've gotta get a 4th guy deep when they bring 4 deep. And once we get the puck, we have to make them pay.

** Their PK looks relatively undisciplined. Sioux PP should stretch the box and the opportunities will come.

** Connelly looks soft moving side to side.

WOOO HOOO!!!

A real fight.

Goodbye Grotting for next Friday.

You are right. I was at the SCSU-Brown womens' game tonight and Shepard (the Papa) was in the press box. The U of M/Badger was on on tv. When he saw the fight he said, "He's gone, he's gone for next week."

Gophers may have lost the fight, but we won what counts, the game.

3 points in Madison, great weekend. I don't expect the Sioux to have much of a problem next weekend.

Bucky is going to come into the RALPH frustrated and pissed.With the hate between these 2 teams and the way the refs are calling everything we may see only 10 minutes of 5 on 5 for the entire weekend.

Bucky is going to come into the RALPH frustrated and pissed.With the hate between these 2 teams and the way the refs are calling everything we may see only 10 minutes of 5 on 5 for the entire weekend.

I couldn't agree more about the 5 on 5. Going to be a very entertaining series no doubt.

A few random comments:

First off, I'm surprised UMD dropped game one to UAA. I'm not so sure that UAA is as weak as we'd thought.

SCSU splitting with BSU. Sure, BSU is a well coached team, but SCSU is far and away more highly skilled and I think Motzko can coach with the best of em.

Surprised at the UW fight. Not surprised by the Gopher reaction. They like to instigate but they're often not the kind to stand behind the results of the instigation. It's like Boogaard going out, picking a fight, and turtling. No, I'm not calling UMN cheap, but it's not the most ethical type of thing. That being said, I think the idiot of the night was Grotting for biting.

Is it me but I think Air Force is the only competitive team in the AHA and CHA combined. The rest are so unbelievably weak...

CCHA is wide open. MSU splits with NMU. BU drops 7 goals on Michigan.

tOSU splitting DU! Wow. I thought tOSU was basically a goaltender and nothing else.

CC only getting 2 points?!?! Seriously, the CCHA is wide open, the WCHA looks shaky, and HEA and ECACHL look strong! What an amazing start to a season.

Yeah, I really didn't want a winless Badger team coming into the Ralph. Hopefully the Sioux forwards can exploit their young defense, as they have been having difficulties keeping teams below 5 goals/game so far.

Is it me but I think Air Force is the only competitive team in the AHA and CHA combined. The rest are so unbelievably weak...

tOSU splitting DU! Wow. I thought tOSU was basically a goaltender and nothing else.

I think BSU is a good team from the CHA as well. They did just split with a strong SCSU team.

OSU has the power of Hunter Bishop, but I was still surprised to see them hang with DU. :angry:

I think BSU is a good team from the CHA as well. They did just split with a strong SCSU team.

OSU has the power of Hunter Bishop, but I was still surprised to see them hang with DU. :angry:

OSU also has zac dalpe, and i've heard he's pretty good... most were surprised he actually showed up on campus considering he was a high draft pick.

On a side note, UAA and UMD's game ended in a tie... lots of very interesting game results this weekend!

Surprised at the UW fight. Not surprised by the Gopher reaction. They like to instigate but they're often not the kind to stand behind the results of the instigation. It's like Boogaard going out, picking a fight, and turtling. No, I'm not calling UMN cheap, but it's not the most ethical type of thing. That being said, I think the idiot of the night was Grotting for biting.

I'm not sure you watched the same game as I. Grotting was about the 5th or 7th guy into the Fischer (he didn't like Hoeffel getting drilled) scrum, White just wrapped him up and had no intentions to fight. Still hasn't thrown a punch. Grotting was looking for action and started wailing. Either White is a puss or Lucia has these guys under strict control, suppose it could be both.

Hope UND keeps kicking UW while they are down.