SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA, College Hockey is underway

AZSIOUX

So the Purple Cows once again give up a game on their home ice so they can play in front of a pro-Gofer crowd? Yes, it's all about the buck$ but it still blows that they would give up their home ice...

I will be at the X on Saturday because I cannot be at The Ralph. Mankato playing a very talented Sioux team extremely tough in The Alltel a few weeks back was no fluke. While it will be little consolaton for them for the tough playoff loss last year in a great series, I, among many, think that the Mavericks are going to kill the Gophers on Saturday night in front of a modest crowd of Kool Aid drinkers.

The Bulldogs-Huskies opening clash will be the better game. I can't imagine why it was not given the later slot.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Purple Cows once again give up a game on their home ice so they can play in front of a pro-Gofer crowd? Yes, it's all about the buck$ but it still blows that they would give up their home ice...

It hurts the integrity of the league when teams don't have to play under the same conditions. I know, I know its good for the league. Maybe every team should have to give up a home game and play at the X. I wonder what the commissioner would say if the Ralph talked Anchorage or Michigan Tech into giving up home games and take part of the proceeds from a weekend in the Ralph.

It hurts the integrity of the league when teams don't have to play under the same conditions. I know, I know its good for the league. Maybe every team should have to give up a home game and play at the X. I wonder what the commissioner would say if the Ralph talked Anchorage or Michigan Tech into giving up home games and take part of the proceeds from a weekend in the Ralph.

Oklahoma plays Texas every year at the Cotton Bowl, essentially a home game for UT - no outrage.

Calm down.

Oklahoma plays Texas every year at the Cotton Bowl, essentially a home game for UT - no outrage.

Calm down.

... and if the "X" was halfway between Mankato and Minnesota, then it would be different. You are not comparing apples to apples.

I think Sioux fans look bad when we go out of our way to whine about the Gophers (Final 5 at the X, MN Hockey Showcase, FSNorth, etc).

We don't need to complain about all their "advantages." It doesn't matter/we can't change it. I don't think our coaches/players care.

Only one thing matters.

7>5

we cant change anything regarding anything but we can talk about it :D some would say its complaining but some would say its a valid point regarding league home games. the coaches/players dont care but on a message board some fans do ;)

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere else, but Jacques Lamoureux currently leads the country in scoring (as well as goals, pts/game, GW goals and PP goals). This kid has been through a lot and it is nice to see him back on top of his game. Of the Lamoureux boys I always thought he was the most gifted offensively. It is difficult to compare the brothers as they are completely different players (goalie, stay at home d-man, grinder).

I won't belabor this anymore, but one can only ask if the scenario did come up where the Ralph hosted someone elses home game while playing the Sioux, what do you think the reaction of the rest of the league would be?

I could give you a brief run down but it would probably start a flame fest. ;) We would hear some of the vile comments about Ralph being a ________.

How shameful, blah, blah...

As much as I hate to say it, I don't blame the Gophers on this one. This has WCHA $$$$ all over it. They are trying to use them to get a bigger pay day. If there were teams closer to GF, the WCHA would try the same thing. Having read stuff in the Star Tribune, sounds like Minny doesn't want to give up a home game for this ( again the $$$ ). The idea is good, but I think it should be a 2 game, 2 day tourney of some sort. I know Mankato likes the payoff, but it causes a lot of ill will with their fans. They pay for season tix, and why should they give 1 up? Sometimes it's best to leave things they way they are, and not try to copy the Bean Pot.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't blame the Gophers on this one. This has WCHA $$$$ all over it. They are trying to use them to get a bigger pay day. If there were teams closer to GF, the WCHA would try the same thing. Having read stuff in the Star Tribune, sounds like Minny doesn't want to give up a home game for this ( again the $$$ ). The idea is good, but I think it should be a 2 game, 2 day tourney of some sort. I know Mankato likes the payoff, but it causes a lot of ill will with their fans. They pay for season tix, and why should they give 1 up? Sometimes it's best to leave things they way they are, and not try to copy the Bean Pot.

Like you said, it's all dollars. If the season ticket holders don't want to give up that one game, then pay more for it, boost season tickets even more. They have to do it, they make a ton of money, money that the Gophers don't need (have no reason to give up a home game when we can sell out Mariucci every game)

My predictions for the week:

FRIDAY:

Michigan Tech at Wisconsin

North Dakota at Colorado College

Minnesota-Duluth at Denver

Minnesota State at Alaska-Anchorage

Robert Morris at St. Cloud State

New Hampshire at Minnesota

Saturday:

Thoughts?

FRIDAY:

Saturday:

i see many splits this weekend. who knows. just a gut thing. looks like a good weekend of college hockey in the wcha.

i see many splits this weekend. who knows. just a gut thing. looks like a good weekend of college hockey in the wcha.

I can see that too I guess, who knows. One of us is bound to be right I'd think, I picked mostly sweeps, you picked mostly splits :lol:

I'd like to be optimistic and say that CC doesn't sweep the Sioux, but who knows really. Depends upon which team shows up.

There is no way MSUM gets swept or even splits with UAA. Yeah, UAA is good, but MSUM is far better. MSUM will sweep.

DU, SCSU, and UW will sweep.

UNH will steal one of the two games.

I, among many, think that the Mavericks are going to kill the Gophers on Saturday night in front of a modest crowd of Kool Aid drinkers.

Smart crowd. :(

It hurts the integrity of the league when teams don't have to play under the same conditions. I know, I know its good for the league. Maybe every team should have to give up a home game and play at the X.

Mankato didn't have to do this - they agreed to do it. They could have kept the game in Mankato but chose the money route.

Smart crowd. :(

Mankato didn't have to do this - they agreed to do it. They could have kept the game in Mankato but chose the money route.

you are only over a week late on these responses. sweet. anything to make a post on your favorite website ever in SS :(