SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

A few updates from Brad Schlossman:

ZACH PARISE

The New Jersey Devils said today that former UND forward Zach Parise had a torn meniscus repaired in his right knee and he will miss the next three months of the season.

TJ OSHIE

Good start for T.J. Oshie - nine points in nine games, leading the Blues in scoring.

The Parise-less (and terrible) New Jersey Devils beat Toews and the Blackhawks. Zajac notched a goal and an assist while Toews was held scoreless (again). I'm not sure why but Toews hasn't had the greatest offensive output thus far this season, only scoring 3 goals and 7 assists through 15 games so far. I'm sure he'll turn it around, but I was hoping his offensive output in the playoffs last year would push him in to having a great year points-wise this year. It's still relatively early, but without Toews scoring, the Hawks have struggled.

The Parise-less (and terrible) New Jersey Devils beat Toews and the Blackhawks. Zajac notched a goal and an assist while Toews was held scoreless (again). I'm not sure why but Toews hasn't had the greatest offensive output thus far this season, only scoring 3 goals and 7 assists through 15 games so far. I'm sure he'll turn it around, but I was hoping his offensive output in the playoffs last year would push him in to having a great year points-wise this year. It's still relatively early, but without Toews scoring, the Hawks have struggled.

Madden curse! :D

Nothing against Toews but....

I think last year was THE year for the Hawks.

Turco sucks. He sucked last year and Dallas cut him. He sucks this year. He's just a younger version of Osgood.

Their cap woes basically did them in.

As for the Devils... I think they've fought the cap longer than the Hawks. They've got no depth... only one scoring line with one of those wingers injured and one of those wingers slumping...

Heh... The Devils look like the Wild while they had Gaborik. It's a shame that Lamoriello has degraded into Risebrough. I rather like Lou.

Nothing against Toews but....

I think last year was THE year for the Hawks.

Turco sucks. He sucked last year and Dallas cut him. He sucks this year. He's just a younger version of Osgood.

Their cap woes basically did them in.

As for the Devils... I think they've fought the cap longer than the Hawks. They've got no depth... only one scoring line with one of those wingers injured and one of those wingers slumping...

Heh... The Devils look like the Wild while they had Gaborik. It's a shame that Lamoriello has degraded into Risebrough. I rather like Lou.

Yeah, I understand the cap situation as I followed their moves all summer. But, Toews is still on a high-powered line and hasn't really been getting it done. It's only his 4th year in the league and should be improving each year for at least a few more years. The guy is what, 22? He's got a lot of room to grow, but this year has been a slow start. If I'm not mistaken though, he's had slow starts pretty much every year, including at UND, and then turns it on midway and becomes a force.

I think part of his problem is he's too unselfish at times. He has a great skillset to become a great scorer...if he wanted to be. Look at some of the highlight reel goals he produces. They are mind-boggling. He just doesn't do it enough sometimes.

Yeah, I understand the cap situation as I followed their moves all summer. But, Toews is still on a high-powered line and hasn't really been getting it done. It's only his 4th year in the league and should be improving each year for at least a few more years. The guy is what, 22? He's got a lot of room to grow, but this year has been a slow start. If I'm not mistaken though, he's had slow starts pretty much every year, including at UND, and then turns it on midway and becomes a force.

I think part of his problem is he's too unselfish at times. He has a great skillset to become a great scorer...if he wanted to be. Look at some of the highlight reel goals he produces. They are mind-boggling. He just doesn't do it enough sometimes.

Agreed, but let's look at this from the Wild perspective:

Back when Gaborik was healthy, on the Wild, and on the first line, the Wild had nothing on the other three lines but career role players and defensive forwards... in other words, very little in the way of offense outside of the first line.

Therefore, all the opposing coach had to do was to plan his shifts and defensive alignments to make sure that his best defensive forwards and d-pairs were out when Gaborik was on the ice. The rest of the time, matchups weren't as important because, as long as the first priority (the one mentioned regarding Gaborik) remains in effect, the remainder of the team can be eliminated offensively simply by playing solid fundamental hockey.

The Hawks opponents are keying on Kane and Toews and Hossa (although I believe Hossa's injured at this point) and having a lot of fun picking on the other lines Chicago is putting on the ice.

You see, yeah, Toews and Kane played lights out all of last season, but the key to the Hawks winning it all last year was balance and depth throughout the roster. They've got neither.

It's kind of like Pittsburgh when Crosby first broke into the league. Crosby may have been the bee's knees even then, but the team around him was simply awful. Crosby got a decent team around him and suddenly he had Pierre MaGuire having to change his shorts every time Crosby touched the puck.

I don't know about how things will turn out in Chi-town, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Hawks turn it around and make the playoffs or not turn it around and watch the playoffs from home.

Agreed, but let's look at this from the Wild perspective:

Back when Gaborik was healthy, on the Wild, and on the first line, the Wild had nothing on the other three lines but career role players and defensive forwards... in other words, very little in the way of offense outside of the first line.

Therefore, all the opposing coach had to do was to plan his shifts and defensive alignments to make sure that his best defensive forwards and d-pairs were out when Gaborik was on the ice. The rest of the time, matchups weren't as important because, as long as the first priority (the one mentioned regarding Gaborik) remains in effect, the remainder of the team can be eliminated offensively simply by playing solid fundamental hockey.

The Hawks opponents are keying on Kane and Toews and Hossa (although I believe Hossa's injured at this point) and having a lot of fun picking on the other lines Chicago is putting on the ice.

You see, yeah, Toews and Kane played lights out all of last season, but the key to the Hawks winning it all last year was balance and depth throughout the roster. They've got neither.

It's kind of like Pittsburgh when Crosby first broke into the league. Crosby may have been the bee's knees even then, but the team around him was simply awful. Crosby got a decent team around him and suddenly he had Pierre MaGuire having to change his shorts every time Crosby touched the puck.

I don't know about how things will turn out in Chi-town, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Hawks turn it around and make the playoffs or not turn it around and watch the playoffs from home.

Even though the Hawks are depleted, I wouldn't insult them with comparisons of the Wild. The Wild, Gaborik years, didn't have the defensemen or talented players that the Hawks do. see: Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Bolland and Keith, Campbell, Hjarlmorsson, or Seabrook.

Let's not look thru the Wild's eyes, please.

hrkac-

Yeah. I don't see Risebrough signing any of those guys so I guess that wasn't exactly the best comparison. However, the play of the Hawks lines outside of the first line has been very anemic. Their game play thus far has reminded me very much about the Wild.

Toewser has sick skill, but his package is so much bigger than points. He is a full, two-way player with a compete level off the chart. Judging him by point production is nuts. He is never going to be a 50 goal man. It isn't his game. 40 might even be a stretch, but he will lead teams into and in the playoffs.

Toewser has sick skill, but his package is so much bigger than points. He is a full, two-way player with a compete level off the chart. Judging him by point production is nuts. He is never going to be a 50 goal man. It isn't his game. 40 might even be a stretch, but he will lead teams into and in the playoffs.

No doubt, that's why many consider him the best in league after Crosby and Ovechkin. I was merely pointing out the fact that if he wanted to put up big numbers, I think he could.

No doubt, that's why many consider him the best in league after Crosby and Ovechkin. I was merely pointing out the fact that if he wanted to put up big numbers, I think he could.

I'm with you, man. I think he has the skills, but he's more worried about leading and winning than racking up the points. I love the analogies to Trottier. I think he truly plays like that.

wasnt sure where to put this but i think the sioux can be glad clarke chose not to attend und. from the sounds he got kicked off the team then released a statement that he left the team. seems like a drama queen with all of this then him being at the junior draft when he was verbaled to und to play for his hoe teamor something like that. wonder what his future holds as once a very high prosepct

clarke