SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Not sure if you've seen the documentary "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia", but this post reminded me of that! If you haven't seen it - it's a must watch. And no - I'm not comparing that family to the Hextall's, just comparing reading their family trees and trying to keep everything straight!

OMG! I just saw that documentary about 3 weeks ago, and had to DVR it to watch it again! Talk about one messed up family!

Blackhawks, on a day off, visit Walter Reed Hospital. Says something about that franchise that they are apparently the first to bring the Stanley Cup there.

"You know, we think we make sacrifices," said captain Jonathan Toews. "And then you come here and learn what real sacrifices are. These are such young people whose bodies have been changed forever. Yet their spirit is terrific. They don't feel sorry for themselves. They just move on. I've learned a lot here today. It's been amazing. I've never spent a day quite like this and I'm not going to forget it. I hope none of us will."

Amen.

Full story: http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=555690

Blackhawks, on a day off, visit Walter Reed Hospital. Says something about that franchise that they are apparently the first to bring the Stanley Cup there.

"You know, we think we make sacrifices," said captain Jonathan Toews. "And then you come here and learn what real sacrifices are. These are such young people whose bodies have been changed forever. Yet their spirit is terrific. They don't feel sorry for themselves. They just move on. I've learned a lot here today. It's been amazing. I've never spent a day quite like this and I'm not going to forget it. I hope none of us will."

Amen.

Full story: http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=555690

Thanks for the link. Yet one more reason why hockey players tend to have more class than other athletes.

Have you heard of the Geoffrions? Blake, who finished his career last year at Wisconsin with a Hobey Baker trophy to his name, was always touted because of his long lineage of hockey background he grew up from. His father and grandfather both played in the NHL.

What does this pertain to the Sioux?

Everyone knows Brett Hextall's father is the legendary goaltender, Ron Hextall. Also, most of you know that Brett's great-uncle Dennis played for the Sioux himself, among many NHL teams in his lengthy career. Not many people, around these parts anyways, know that Brett's own lineage goes much farther...even farther than the Geoffrions. Beyond Brett, Ron, and Dennis, there was another...Bryan Hextall Jr. Bryan was the father of Ron Hextall, and was Dennis' brother. Bryan put up some very nice numbers in an NHL career that covered nearly a decade. Still not satisfied? There was yet another Hextall in the equation...Bryan Hextall Sr. Bryan Sr is the great-grandfather to Brett, grandfather to Ron, and father to Bryan Jr. and our own Dennis Hextall. Not only that, Bryan Sr. is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

So, if Brett plays even one minute of NHL hockey one day, he will continue a lineage of four generations of NHL players that spans just about a century, with a great-uncle that had a lengthy career himself, to boot.

Blake Geoffrion made his NHL debut on February 26th, 2011. In doing so, he became the first fourth-generation player in the league's history, after his father Dan, grandfather Bernie and great-grandfather Howie Morenz. The latter two are Hall of Famers.

Since moving to CA, I have been out of the hockey loop! But, I just found out that Stockton is an hour away from me and they have an ECHL team! Can someone do some research for me (since I have to actually work today) about any former Sioux players in the ECHL and which teams they play for? I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

We had Kaip down here in Bakersfield, but I was told he has returned home after dealing with a lengthy injury and has decided to retire. Can't confirm it but that is the rumor.

Quite the streak.

Travis Zajac C New Jersey Devils

Height: 6'3' Weight: 195 DOB: 5/13/1985 Age: 25

Mar. 14, 2011 - 2:26 p.m. ET

Travis Zajac will tie a franchise record for most consecutive games played if he takes part in Tuesday's game against Atlanta.

Zajac's iron man streak currently stands at 387 games. His streak dates back to October 26th, 2006, after he missed a contest during his rookie campaign. Ken Daneyko, who is the Devils' current record holder, didn't miss a game between November 4th, 1989 and March 29th, 1994.

Source: New Jersey Online

porter big minutes with stl tonight. 16 plus and a assist on oshies goal. good for cp! congrats to vv and parise needs to go smewhere besides NJ!! maybe he can revive nhl hockey in minnesota?? the wild should do whatever the hell they can do to get zach and build a real franchise!

Was in St. Louis tonight on business and took in the Blues-Oilers game. Oshie was the first star and Porter was the second star in a 4-0 win. Also, Vande played for the Oilers.

And yes, it would have worked out very well for me if the Sioux would have been placed in the West Regional this weekend!

Was in St. Louis tonight on business and took in the Blues-Oilers game. Oshie was the first star and Porter was the second star in a 4-0 win. Also, Vande played for the Oilers.

And yes, it would have worked out very well for me if the Sioux would have been placed in the West Regional this weekend!

Watched quite a bit of that game on Center Ice....Porter hit everything that moved!

nice! right time right place. also cool that the UND boys could put on a good show for you.

nice! right time right place. also cool that the UND boys could put on a good show for you.

My family and I were also at the Blues-Oilers game last night... our 3rd Blues game of the season... Oshie has 4 goals, 3 assists and has been the 1st star at all 3 games! Maybe we should become season ticket holders!

• Upvote 1

My family and I were also at the Blues-Oilers game last night... our 3rd Blues game of the season... Oshie has 4 goals, 3 assists and has been the 1st star at all 3 games! Maybe we should become season ticket holders!

Or you need to share this information with TJ ... he may hook you up with season tickets!! :0:D

You forgot that ESPN.com at least named the second star...

Chris Porter!

He must have done something special because he got the honor despite not getting a point!

You forgot that ESPN.com at least named the second star...

Chris Porter!

He must have done something special because he got the honor despite not getting a point!

He played a very fast, hard-hitting game with no obvious mistakes. He brought a lot of energy each shift.

Vande Velde had a couple of nice moves and looked comfortable on the ice for the Oilers as well.