SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

For many of these players it is their goal to make the NHL, and if Forbort thinks that playing for the NTDP 18U team can be a stepping stone to get to that level, the coaches, players, and people in his community should respect that. Those players don't owe anything to their high schools and community but to themselves in trying to become the best player and person that they can be. Whether it is through the high school, juniors, or NTDP level the players are going to try and accomplish that and no one should be bitter about it.

Fist off after living in Duluth for 4 years and knowing quite a few people who have played for Randolph and it sounds like he is a first rate d-bag. He was forced out in the mid 90's and somehow managed to get back into the coaching job.

Forbort is going to see NHL scouts at just about every USHL game he plays in, there are not many scouts heading up to watch East play Two Harbors on a Tuesday night in January. I've been watching the U18 games in Fargo, how does Forbort's game compare to any current USA d-men? Fowler seems to be their best one.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fist off after living in Duluth for 4 years and knowing quite a few people who have played for Randolph and it sounds like he is a first rate d-bag. He was forced out in the mid 90's and somehow managed to get back into the coaching job.

Forbort is going to see NHL scouts at just about every USHL game he plays in, there are not many scouts heading up to watch East play Two Harbors on a Tuesday night in January. I've been watching the U18 games in Fargo, how does Forbort's game compare to any current USA d-men? Fowler seems to be their best one.

it is fine he feels how he does but it is another thing to express it the way he did. he does himself much more good to simply wish derek good luck and not get into the specifics of the situation. mayeb for future dealins with his players when it comes to usa development and college as well. im sure every coach around the nation and usa program took very quick note of this when it was published. could veer younger elite kids away from going to play for him. you just never know as every player/mid has to look out for themselves first off

I didn't realize Leddy had already proven himself at the college level.

Didn't say he did - just that it didn't hurt his career/development to stay at EP. He could play for us next year.

Maybe he could have improved his draft ranking a bit going to NTDP. Hard to say.

The NTDP is one option for high end players. USHL is another as well as staying in HS. Each kid chooses his own path - none are silver bullets.

Some in Canada wondered if Toews was making the right choice bypassing the CHL to play at SSS/UND. It's turned out pretty good for him so far.

After reading the story on Forbort, it could be that he is tired of playing for Randolph and wanted a change of scenery for his last year of HS.

Some in Canada wondered if Toews was making the right choice bypassing the CHL to play at SSS/UND. It's turned out pretty good for him so far.

I remember reading some MJ message boards.

However.... I'm not so sure that it would have mattered where Toews went, MJ or NCAA. He's truly a special player.

He is certainly the best all around player I've seen play. And what he does with Chicago is downright scary good.

I hope 20 years down the line, we're posting about his Hockey HOF induction.

Mattson and Team USA advance to the Gold medal game after beating Canada, 2-1.

They will play Russia, who beat Finland 4-0, and apparently weren't very sportsmanlike in their win. Surprise, surprise. According to Brad, they were skating past the Finn bench after each goal and taunting them. The refs had to try to block them after the first couple times...

Go USA, beat those Russians!

IMO, I'd actually make team USA the favorite. USA dominated long streches of the last game. They failed to account for the Russian winger breaking behind the defence. The US tried to run and gun with the Russian's and I don't think any team can play with the Russian's when its a back and forth game. If the US plays like they did agains Canada I think you'll see a 2-3 goal win for team usa.

FYI, Mattson does a great job on special teams. Both killing and on the powerplay, he's a stud.

Nick Mattson is going to be a very good player for the Sioux...hard to believe he's only a junior in high school. I think Cam Fowler has been our(USA) best defensemen so far, with Nick a close second.

The USA-Canada game last night was great. If you plan on going to the Gold Medal Game(USA-USSR) tomorrow night, I would suggest getting your tickets right away. I just came from the UP Center, it will be sold out.

Nick Mattson is going to be a very good player for the Sioux...hard to believe he's only a junior in high school. I think Cam Fowler has been our(USA) best defensemen so far, with Nick a close second.

The USA-Canada game last night was great. If you plan on going to the Gold Medal Game(USA-USSR) tomorrow night, I would suggest getting your tickets right away. I just came from the UP Center, it will be sold out.

Thank God I got my tickets.

Cichy's Indiana team won the deciding game 5 tonight 7-6 on the road, with the winner coming with 15 seconds left in the third (an eternity by our new standards). They advance to play Forney's Green Bay team.

Rowney's AJHL champion Grande Prairie looks like it might be in over its head against the BCHL's Vernon Vipers in the Doyle Cup series. Vernon won game one last night 2-1, although the game and shots were much more lopsided than that. I listened for a bit and Vernon had the puck the whole time. Tonight Vernon's up 4-1 in the second. Maybe Grande Prairie can turn it around at home later in the series.

Cichy's Indiana team won the deciding game 5 tonight 7-6 on the road, with the winner coming with 15 seconds left in the third (an eternity by our new standards). They advance to play Forney's Green Bay team.

Rowney's AJHL champion Grande Prairie looks like it might be in over its head against the BCHL's Vernon Vipers in the Doyle Cup series. Vernon won game one last night 2-1, although the game and shots were much more lopsided than that. I listened for a bit and Vernon had the puck the whole time. Tonight Vernon's up 4-1 in the second. Maybe Grande Prairie can turn it around at home later in the series.

Final score in Game 2 of Doyle Cup was 6-2 Vernon over Grande Prairie. As a result of Vernon sweeping first two games, all remaining games (3 to 7) will be played in Grande Prairie starting Tuesday. Had first two games been split, Game 3 would have been in Vernon and remainder in GP. Last year it was reversed with series starting in Alberta (Camrose) and ending in BC (Pentiction). Last year's Doyle Cup pitted MacWilliam against Hextall. No Sioux recruits in Vernon to go up against Rowney but Vernon does have 10 NCAA Division I commitments to Colgate, Alaska Anchorage (Chris Crowell), Army, Merrimack, Quinnipiac, Northeastern, Princeton and Bowling Green.

Grande Prairie's season ended last night with a loss to Vernon, so another recruit is done for the year. Nice season for Rowney and his team though.

I believe that leaves just Cichy and Forney (and again we don't know Forney's status for next year), who are playing against each other tonight.

Grande Prairie's season ended last night with a loss to Vernon, so another recruit is done for the year. Nice season for Rowney and his team though.

I believe that leaves just Cichy and Forney (and again we don't know Forney's status for next year), who are playing against each other tonight.

cichy with 1 goal (pp) and 1 assist in a 4-0 lead in the 3rd as of now in game 1

game sheet

Indiana and Mike Cichy finished off Green Bay tonight by the score of 5-3. Forney with 2 assists in the loss and Cichy with 3 assists in the win.

Fargo will go to Indiana and it sounds like the first game will be played either this Friday or Saturday, and then back in Fargo the following weekend. The schedule for the finals will be released tomorrow, but will be a great chance to see Cichy in the finals in Fargo, along with just some great overall hockey.