SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

Thanks for posting that link.

A couple of parts I really liked:

"But what are perhaps two of the least talked about characteristics that make Mattson so special are his humility and fierce loyalty to his team. He is a young man who is confident yet quite humble, and is the consummate team player."

"We just had to explain to them that as much as we wanted to showcase Danny, we needed to win games. So we were going to play him where we thought was the best for the team and Danny was fine with it. So that

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what does everyone think? Will he be at UND or the USHL next year?

And, when will we find out for sure?

that seems to be the question nobody knows the answer to as of now. it seems he and knight and rowney may be up for the last forward spot with VV staying. i guess we will find out soon from hak with VV being the only decision they were waiting for to determine next years roster

that seems to be the question nobody knows the answer to as of now. it seems he and knight and rowney may be up for the last forward spot with VV staying. i guess we will find out soon from hak with VV being the only decision they were waiting for to determine next years roster

I would guess Forney's decision factors in as well. If he comes back, then one of those guys comes in and if he doesn't come back then possibly two of the three would be here next year. I hope Forney comes back and shows us why he was so highly coveted a few years ago. Anyway, we should know in the next couple of weeks who will be here next year.

I would guess Forney's decision factors in as well. If he comes back, then one of those guys comes in and if he doesn't come back then possibly two of the three would be here next year. I hope Forney comes back and shows us why he was so highly coveted a few years ago. Anyway, we should know in the next couple of weeks who will be here next year.

forney never should have came straight to UND in the first place. sometimes you miss on players right away and sometimes you get them right but injury wise and strength wise the ushl should have been the first route. oh well, thats over with now and yes you are right. he will have a say in who all comes in but no fence to forney as i like him as a player and im sure he has worked his butt off to get healthy and stronger but i wouldnt detour a top incoming prospect to ushl or back to their respective league to have him back. i hope people understand my point on this as its not a slap to him at all i know that may be his only smart choice to come back to UND having 2 years left and not having to sit out but these incomers are more important for the future of the sioux program overall if they are ready to come in and play right away. i know hak knows exactly what hes doing and thats not what im getting at but hope everything works out good between hak and the potential incoming top recruits in knight, mattson and rowney possibly. im sure we will all know soon enough :D

Tough to send a good prospect to juniors for a year when he could suit up, but I would send the last slot Forney's way.

He's shown that he's no fluke in the USHL. I agree with AZ that he shouldn't have gone straight from high school to UND, but that's water under the bridge.

Also, food for thought: Why rush Mattson? sure, he doesn't have the injury bug Forney had in high school, but it is VERY RARE (IMO) for a player to go right from high school to DI without much transition. Sure, Oshie did it. So did the most of the SSM boys (Miller, JPar, and Duncan are three off the top of my head who went to juniors first before coming to UND after SSM). However, I still think Mattson will go from a good recruit to a great recruit with a year in the USHL.

Kindof like Danny Kristo. He was good in high school, but after the USHL, he's a great recruit.

Sometimes good to great is all it takes.

My 2 cents.

Tough to send a good prospect to juniors for a year when he could suit up, but I would send the last slot Forney's way.

He's shown that he's no fluke in the USHL. I agree with AZ that he shouldn't have gone straight from high school to UND, but that's water under the bridge.

Also, food for thought: Why rush Mattson? sure, he doesn't have the injury bug Forney had in high school, but it is VERY RARE (IMO) for a player to go right from high school to DI without much transition. Sure, Oshie did it. So did the most of the SSM boys (Miller, JPar, and Duncan are three off the top of my head who went to juniors first before coming to UND after SSM). However, I still think Mattson will go from a good recruit to a great recruit with a year in the USHL.

Kindof like Danny Kristo. He was good in high school, but after the USHL, he's a great recruit.

Sometimes good to great is all it takes.

My 2 cents.

Just as an FYI, Kristo was in high school this year. The reason he didn't come straight from the NTDP this year was because his graduation year was 2009.

1. I think if Forney wants to come back to UND he deserves a shot. We recruited him and due to injuries etc he didn't play. Now that he's been an everyday player in the USHL and lead his team in scoring he deserves a shot assuming he wants to come back.

2. I orignally thought that Mattson exepcted to come in this year and then after I started looking at the ages of the recruits I changed my mind. Let's take a look from oldest to youngest of those with shots to come in:

Mike Forney: 5/14/1988 (would come in as a junior)

Brett Bruneteau: 1/5/1989

Aaron Dell: 5/4/1989

Carter Rowney: 5/10/1989

Andrew MacWilliam: 3/25/1990

Joe Gleason: 3/30/1990

Danny Kristo: 6/18/1990

Mike Cichy: 7/7/1990

Mike Fink: 7/7/1990

Derek Rodwell: 7/8/1990

Corban Knight: 9/10/1990

Danny Mattson: 11/20/1990

If you went strictly by the cut off dates for high school only Knight and Mattson would have been in high school this year.

My thought is this, assuming Forney comes back: You bring in Dell, Forney, Bruneteau, Rowney, MacWilliam, Gleason, Kristo, and Cichy. Knight and Mattson play in the USHL and AJHL. You don't want any '89s still in the juniors so I think Rowney needs to come this year.

Dell replaces Walski.

MacWilliam and Gleason replace Finley and Jones.

Forney, Bruneteau, Rowney, Kristo, and Cichy replace Duncan, Miller, Martens, Watkins and Kozek.

If Forney doesn't come who knows which one of the 4 forwards left you pick. Maybe Knight or Mattson.

2010 is the scary one. With only VanDeVelde, Genoway, and Zajac graduating you have two defensemen in the wings with Forbort and Nick Mattson. I'm guessing Mattson is the call here. Then you have Fink, Rodwell, Knight, Danny Mattson, and Matt White waiting. You only need two if no one jumps to the pros so now what?

For forwards, this is how Brad has it for committed recruits on his blog:

Danny Kristo, F, 09

Mike Cichy, F, 09

Brett Bruneteau, F, 09

Mike Fink, F, 09/10

Danny Mattson, F, 09/10

Corban Knight, F, 09/10

Carter Rowney, F, 10

Derek Rodwell, F, 10

Matt White, F, 10/11

Michael Parks, F, 10/11

Brendan O'Donnell, F, 10/11

If we have a logjam for the 2010 season, then White, Parks, and O'Donnell could all wait until 2011 to come in.

To replace the five departing forwards this year, you have Kristo, Cichy, Bruneteau, possibly Forney, and then one of Fink/Knight/Mattson. Two of those guys if Forney doesn't come back.

The following year with VV and Zajac leaving, you bring in whoever didn't come in from the Fink/Knight/Mattson group and then Rowney. Maybe push Rodwell back a year? Or in case of an early departure.

I guess it all depends on what Forney does. If he comes back, I would guess that Knight is the other forward. If Forney doesn't return, then Knight and Mattson come in (Fink waits until '10).

Definitely a lot of forwards. That's still 12 less than what UW has on their potential roster though. :D

1. I think if Forney wants to come back to UND he deserves a shot. We recruited him and due to injuries etc he didn't play. Now that he's been an everyday player in the USHL and lead his team in scoring he deserves a shot assuming he wants to come back.

The fact that he hasn't made a committment leads me to believe that he is entertaining other offers.

I guess we will find out soon.

For forwards, this is how Brad has it for committed recruits on his blog:

Danny Kristo, F, 09

Mike Cichy, F, 09

Brett Bruneteau, F, 09

Mike Fink, F, 09/10

Danny Mattson, F, 09/10

Corban Knight, F, 09/10

Carter Rowney, F, 10

Derek Rodwell, F, 10

Matt White, F, 10/11

Michael Parks, F, 10/11

Brendan O'Donnell, F, 10/11

If we have a logjam for the 2010 season, then White, Parks, and O'Donnell could all wait until 2011 to come in.

To replace the five departing forwards this year, you have Kristo, Cichy, Bruneteau, possibly Forney, and then one of Fink/Knight/Mattson. Two of those guys if Forney doesn't come back.

The following year with VV and Zajac leaving, you bring in whoever didn't come in from the Fink/Knight/Mattson group and then Rowney. Maybe push Rodwell back a year? Or in case of an early departure.

I guess it all depends on what Forney does. If he comes back, I would guess that Knight is the other forward. If Forney doesn't return, then Knight and Mattson come in (Fink waits until '10).

Definitely a lot of forwards. That's still 12 less than what UW has on their potential roster though. :D

Well if Rowney waits until 2010 we will have fulfilled the "21 year old Canadian" stigma.

Fink played in 59 games this year in the USHL and ended up with 19 points, 6 penalty minutes and a -21. I know he was hurt last year but does anyone know what's up with him? Not the sort of stats you'd expect for a future Sioux.

The fact that he hasn't made a committment leads me to believe that he is entertaining other offers.

I'm sort of with you. I think he's looking at going someplace new where he doesn't have a track record with the coaches but probably doesn't want to lose a year of eligibility.

Anybody think they may bring in one more forward next year than they had this year? I think just by a pure numbers stand point that it makes sense to bring an extra forward this year (which would be 15 forwards) just so we don't have so many freshman next year. Maybe one of these recruits isn't a big scholarship guy and therefore they would bring him in this year but I'm not sure which one maybe Rowney as others have mentioned due to his age.

wouldnt he have to sit out then? or just have 1 year left? i say he plays at UND or enters the atlanta system. i would say its UND or turn pro

wouldnt he have to sit out then? or just have 1 year left? i say he plays at UND or enters the atlanta system. i would say its UND or turn pro

Agreed. Why waste the time of going someplace else just so that you can sit there for a season and then only have one year left of eligibility?

Anybody think they may bring in one more forward next year than they had this year? I think just by a pure numbers stand point that it makes sense to bring an extra forward this year (which would be 15 forwards) just so we don't have so many freshman next year. Maybe one of these recruits isn't a big scholarship guy and therefore they would bring him in this year but I'm not sure which one maybe Rowney as others have mentioned due to his age.

This is the bulge class.

2008-09 roster (25 players):

8 seniors

3 juniors

6 sophomores

8 freshmen (<-- I don't expect to have to replace all 8 at once, I expect some early departures from this number)

-- or looking at it another way --

3 goalies

7 defensemen

14 forwards

and Brad Miller ("The Brad Miller I know plays forward," says Ryan Duncan.)

I'm torn on your statement:

I'd like to see a 15F, 8D, 3G (26 player) roster shape (ala the Blais years) to help cover injuries.

Bringing in another player in fall 2009 would take the total to 26; however, ...

- that makes the bulge worse

- the shortness is more at defense than forward

- the team has more forwards waiting in the wings (no pun intended) than defensemen

If you're looking to level the bulge, you replace the seniors this fall and bring the "26th" player in next season to try to flatten out that "gap". However, I don't expect we'll be losing just 3 (Genoway, Vande Velde, Zajac) a year from now.

This is the bulge class.

2008-09 roster (25 players):

8 seniors

3 juniors

6 sophomores

8 freshmen (<-- I don't expect to have to replace all 8 at once, I expect some early departures from this number)

-- or looking at it another way --

3 goalies

7 defensemen

14 forwards

and Brad Miller ("The Brad Miller I know plays forward," says Ryan Duncan.)

I'm torn on your statement:

I'd like to see a 15F, 8D, 3G (26 player) roster shape (ala the Blais years) to help cover injuries.

Bringing in another player in fall 2009 would take the total to 26; however, ...

- that makes the bulge worse

- the shortness is more at defense than forward

- the team has more forwards waiting in the wings (no pun intended) than defensemen

If you're looking to level the bulge, you replace the seniors this fall and bring the "26th" player in next season to try to flatten out that "gap". However, I don't expect we'll be losing just 3 (Genoway, Vande Velde, Zajac) a year from now.

I understand what you're saying here but say we replace the forwards like this:

Duncan-Cichy

Kozek-Kristo

Watkins-Bruneteau

Miller-Forney?

Martens-Knight, Mattson or Rowney

That leaves

Vandevelde-Knight, Mattson or Rowney

Zajac-Knight, Mattson, or Rowney

Plus Fink, Rodwell and White are suppose to be coming in. I know there is a chance for an early departure or two but I don't foresee more than one at this point.

i like teams with 2 extra forwards and 1 extra d man. i dont like having 3 and 2 for healthy scratches unless they are players that know their role like a davidson as a example. just seems to stunt growth overall with having so many extra players. in understand injury wise its nice to have but when you recruit like UND does and the caliber of players i just like the 1 extra healthy scratch compared to what they had last season

Vandevelde-Knight, Mattson or Rowney

Zajac-Knight, Mattson, or Rowney

Plus Fink, Rodwell and White are suppose to be coming in. I know there is a chance for an early departure or two but I don't foresee more than one at this point.

For now, White is listed as a 10/11 recruit, so he could also be delayed if need be.

I can envision a scenario where a year from now Gregoire, Malone, and Frattin are all leaving early.

Highly likely that all three go? Not really, but possible.

I can envision a scenario where a year from now Gregoire, Malone, and Frattin are all leaving early.

Highly likely that all three go? Not really, but possible.

From the horses mouth, Malone is a 4 year guy. Doesn't mean things can't change, but that's his mindset from the get-go.

For now, White is listed as a 10/11 recruit, so he could also be delayed if need be.

Yes he is but that would mean going back for a fourth year of juniors which he may not want to do. I know it has been done before but I would guess he wouldn't want to do it.

getting back to forney i have been told he should be able to play 2 years no matter what college he chooses to go to next season. i could be wrong on this as well but last year would have been his sit out year. isnt bennett going to UW after playing for BU 2 seasons ago and now will play for UW this season?

bennett

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95346

getting back to forney i have been told he should be able to play 2 years no matter what college he chooses to go to next season. i could be wrong on this as well but last year would have been his sit out year. isnt bennett going to UW after playing for BU 2 seasons ago and now will play for UW this season?

bennett

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95346

This is the way I thought it would work for him.