SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny Mattson (F) 09/10 - Coming straight from HS, Holy Angels

Nick Mattson (D) 10 - Is now 17, playing on the USDevelopment team

danny mattson coming in this fall isnt a given at this point. all depends on coaches thinking and VV leaving or not i believe

Danny Mattson (F) 09/10 - Coming straight from HS, Holy Angels

Nick Mattson (D) 10 - Is now 17, playing on the USDevelopment team

danny mattson coming in this fall isnt a given at this point. all depends on coaches thinking and VV leaving or not i believe

per brad

I was told in Washington by a member of the Caps staff that NHL teams can waive a draft pick if he returns to juniors and the Caps did that with recruit Brett Bruneteau. So he is now a free agent. Apparently the Caps were not real enamored with Bruneteau. He was a fourth-round pick in 2007.

per brad

I was told in Washington by a member of the Caps staff that NHL teams can waive a draft pick if he returns to juniors and the Caps did that with recruit Brett Bruneteau. So he is now a free agent. Apparently the Caps were not real enamored with Bruneteau. He was a fourth-round pick in 2007.

Ouch!

As to the previous comment on Danny Mattson, I think his draft position will also weigh heavily on where he plays next fall. If a team falls in love with him at the combine and he goes end of first round he will be at UND next fall.

Ouch!

As to the previous comment on Danny Mattson, I think his draft position will also weigh heavily on where he plays next fall. If a team falls in love with him at the combine and he goes end of first round he will be at UND next fall.

I think you're right. Just think the first weekend is only like 6 months away, which means between now and a bunch of really bad golf shots hockey isn't far way. :silly: I am ready already. Thank God I have the Stanley Cup playoffs to keep me busy. Go Bruins, Go Sioux.

Oh I know that. That's what the whole discussion was about prior to my comment. I was stating the differences of the two Mattsons and there situations, not that Danny IS coming this fall. I worded it a little weird.

Ouch!

No chance he will be a first round pick...none. Leddy maybe but not Mattson. 3rd round is my prediction.

The final central scounting rankings were released:

Danny Mattson - 53

Corbin Knight - 64

Mike Cichy - 166

The entire list can be found here CSB Final Rankings

I think someone will get a steal if they take Cichy that late in the draft. I know he is older than most in the draft, but i cant wait to see him in a Sioux jersey

I think someone will get a steal if they take Cichy that late in the draft. I know he is older than most in the draft, but i cant wait to see him in a Sioux jersey

i agree on cichy and wow corban knight sure made a splash onto the rankings as he wasnt even ranked at mid term. we have a hell of a crop coming in overall

i agree on cichy and wow corban knight sure made a splash onto the rankings as he wasnt even ranked at mid term. we have a hell of a crop coming in overall

Gophers can have all the higher rated players...but man if Pointer is healthy next year and VV comes back I really like our chances!! Plus we got a Dell!!

According to a link on CHN, Forbort has joined the Development team. There is a link on CHN to the Duluth paper, but I don't have an account with the paper and can't get the connection to work. Does any one else have any info on this??

Nevermind, finally got the account to work. Forbort leaves Duluth East to join the US U-18 National Development Team, citing that he wanted to be better prepared for his time at UND.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/117757/

According to a link on CHN, Forbort has joined the Development team. There is a link on CHN to the Duluth paper, but I don't have an account with the paper and can't get the connection to work. Does any one else have any info on this??

Nevermind, finally got the account to work. Forbort leaves Duluth East to join the US U-18 National Development Team, citing that he wanted to be better prepared for his time at UND.

Reading more, it sounds like his coach is a little mad about the decision (ok, he is down right angry) and puts some of the blame on UND. Personally, I think that Forbort made the better choice, especially with the team becoming a full member of the USHL this next year. Forbort will play more games against better competition. His production and draft rankings may suffer, but I am sure his play will benefit. The coach is probably just made at losing his best guy and worrying about his teams ability next year.

Reading more, it sounds like his coach is a little mad about the decision (ok, he is down right angry) and puts some of the blame on UND. Personally, I think that Forbort made the better choice, especially with the team becoming a full member of the USHL this next year. Forbort will play more games against better competition. His production and draft rankings may suffer, but I am sure his play will benefit. The coach is probably just made at losing his best guy and worrying about his teams ability next year.

I can't imagine the Omaha Lancers are too thrilled either. And I also disagree with East's coach. Playing a lengthier schedule against ushl and college competition can only help a player raise his game. I also think the Sioux play the USA team again next year although I could be mistaken. That would be two years in a row a future recruit got to come in and play in the Ralph against future mates. Anyway, no matter what path he took it wouldn't sway my opinion that he is the best recruit the Sioux have. His potential is limitless and I can't imagine what a beast he will be when he fills his frame. Definate 1st round draft pick material and unfortunately a likely one or two year college player.

Actually Randolph makes some good points - Oshie Lee and Niskanen did just fine without NTDP - so did Leddy, Gardner and McDonough. There are plenty of former NTDP players that turn out to be average/below average college players. There is no silver bullet.

The one point Randolph made about UND coaches pushing him to make this decision because they will need him "right away" doesn't make sense. In fact there will be a log jam at D without early departures in 2010.

1. LaPoint - sr

2. Marto - sr

3. Blood - jr

4. Fienhage - jr

5. McWilliam - so

6. Gleason - so

7. Nick Mattson - fr

Unless they calculate LaPoint as a flight risk. Even so, there's still plenty of talent there without him. He wouldn't have to play "big minutes."

Maybe Derek got tired of Randolph - he's had an interesting coaching career to say the least.

It also looks like Randolph and his Bantam coach aren't always on the same page.

The kid is already 6'5" tall sounds like a monster.

Speaking of Forbort, if anyone in the Twin Cities area wants to watch him play this weekend he is in the Minnesota Hockey Final 54 Advanced Select 17's at the Plymouth Ice Center. The best players from this go to the national festival in the summer. Here are the rosters and schedule for both the 17 and 16,

http://minnesotahockey.org/assorted/BoysAdv17Final54rev.pdf

http://minnesotahockey.org/assorted/Final5...anced16Boys.pdf

As for the coach being unhappy about him joining the NTDP, I think it is a little low on his part. Obviously it sucks losing your best player but he is at a level that is beyond high school and should be playing better competition to prepare for the next level and the coaches for Duluth East should understand this.

As for the coach being unhappy about him joining the NTDP, I think it is a little low on his part. Obviously it sucks losing your best player but he is at a level that is beyond high school and should be playing better competition to prepare for the next level and the coaches for Duluth East should understand this.

Exactly. The Duluth East coach sounds like a whiner. No where in the article does he congratulate Derek or wish him well...he just sounds bitter in every one of his quotes.

It bothers me when coaches are critical of players leaving early. Especially publicly. Its just derespectful. You should support your players that you've helped develop to go out and improve their game. When a player like Forbort has the potential of d-1 hockey and possibly NHL, the coach shouldnt try and hold him back.

I know Matt Malm at RRHS wasnt openly critical of Poltuny and Irmen leaving to Lincoln early. He recognized their potential and future. He knew that RRHS wasnt going to prepare them enough for what they had in the future. They left we two years left to play, Duluth East coach needs to stop being so selfish and relieze there's more to a players career than HS.

Great move to go to the US development team. Better than just playing HS hockey.

Exactly. The Duluth East coach sounds like a whiner. No where in the article does he congratulate Derek or wish him well...he just sounds bitter in every one of his quotes.

i dont get this crap coming from his coach. i understand being frusterated losing your best player and maybe a top D man out there but derek turned down the usa offer last year to play at duluth east and decided with help that this would help him be 100% ready for UND in 2010. i cant wait ot se this kid play alog with nick mattson. 2 very talented d men coming in for 2010

It was only one game and who am I to judge hockey talent but the one state tourney game I watched on TV that Forbort played in he was very impressive offensively but seemed to lack somethings defensively. If he feels he can learn those things better with the US program than at Duluth EastWhine High School that's fine with me.

Actually Randolph makes some good points - Oshie Lee and Niskanen did just fine without NTDP - so did Leddy, Gardner and McDonough. There are plenty of former NTDP players that turn out to be average/below average college players. There is no silver bullet.

The one point Randolph made about UND coaches pushing him to make this decision because they will need him "right away" doesn't make sense. In fact there will be a log jam at D without early departures in 2010.

1. LaPoint - sr

2. Marto - sr

3. Blood - jr

4. Fienhage - jr

5. McWilliam - so

6. Gleason - so

7. Nick Mattson - fr

Unless they calculate LaPoint as a flight risk. Even so, there's still plenty of talent there without him. He wouldn't have to play "big minutes."

Maybe Derek got tired of Randolph - he's had an interesting coaching career to say the least.

It also looks like Randolph and his Bantam coach aren't always on the same page.

I didn't realize Leddy had already proven himself at the college level.

For many of these players it is their goal to make the NHL, and if Forbort thinks that playing for the NTDP 18U team can be a stepping stone to get to that level, the coaches, players, and people in his community should respect that. Those players don't owe anything to their high schools and community but to themselves in trying to become the best player and person that they can be. Whether it is through the high school, juniors, or NTDP level the players are going to try and accomplish that and no one should be bitter about it.